Synapse 25 & Aeronaut Carryon to Europe

Can I get away with both of these as carryons for my trip to Europe and back?
    Is it a good combo??

Thanks,
    Richard
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

ceb
    "trip to Europe" is not descriptive enough. You'll need a smaller bag for a vacation to Spain in summer as opposed to a business trip to a nordic country in winter.

I'm not a fan of two big bags as you'll tend to overpack. How long are you going for, will you need suits, what is the climate, will there be washing opportunities, what will you take aside from clothes etc.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

What airline are you flying? U.S based without weight requirements or European or Asian with drastic weight requirements?

Are you going to stay in one city or travel between two or more cities? If you travel are you going to take a regional airline with an even more drastic weight, size and one luggage piece requirement or take the train or a rental car?

In Europe, it is always better to layer, we got very cold winter weather and unseasonally sunny and balmy afternoons in between rainy mornings.

The same thing happened in Portland and Seattle in early May, being in the upper 70's, very unusual for this area and a pickle for somebody who would have brought only cold and rainy weather gear, especially pants.

You will be fine with the Aeronaut overhead and the Synapse under the seat, I took that pair with me in Europe but... the Synapse was the 19.

Double post (sorry)

To add to what backpack wrote, I'm going to say the Synapse 25 is probably too big to be considered a "personal" item.

Most airlines describe a personal item as a purse or small laptop bag. American Airlines actually says it should be no bigger than 35 linear inches. The Synapse 25 is over 40 linear inches. (The Synapse 19 comes in at 35 and is about as large as you could go.)

Every airline is different as is every gate agent.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    This seems like a lot to carry unless you are planning to check your Aeronaut. I think it's also going to look large to the gate agent, too, because of the shape of the Smart Alec. I actually think you'd have a better chance using a Synapse 25" that was not fully packed, or a Brain Bag that was cinched tight to look flat (again, not fully packed), than using the Smart Alec here. That's even assuming you don't get caught out by weight restrictions, which can be harder to meet than bag sizes, on some airlines that apply them. To put this another way, the Smart Alec volume is similar to a Western Flyer's. This would be like taking the Aeronaut as your main carry on and a Western Flyer as a personal item.

I took my Synapse 25 and Aeronaut on AirTran recently. They didn't say anything to me. I haven't tried with any other airlines and I have no idea how AirTran rates in the strictness scale for carryon.

It was actually a really nice combo. Much easier to use than my Aeronaut and Swift. I'm going to have to be careful about overpacking if I keep this up.

Sorry--I should have posted more info:

20 nights
    Flying Delta to and from Europe
    The rest of the trip is by train
    3 cities
    mostly casual, a couple of upscale dinners.
    Mid Autumn trip....London, Nice, Amalfi.

Thanks,
    Richard

Now, there is a pickle!

Luggage

This is what Delta site says about carry on, it was not easy to find.

"you’re allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item at no extra charge. Just make sure they fit into the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Cram sessions are not pretty — and they slow things down.
    So What Exactly Is Allowed?

Approved Personal Items

1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag [note that they do not say computer bag]
    or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
    or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

Additional Approved Items

The following items do not count as personal items (they’re freebies):

A jacket or umbrella
    Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint
    Duty-free merchandise"
    [skip this. it will be confiscated or you will have to use a check in container to bring it back, where it will become part of "lost" luggage]

I suspect that you are not flying direct, so it is very very important that you keep everything carry on.

Note that the flagship airlines are notorious for that "Our gate or flight personnel may need to further limit the amount of carry-on baggage for a particular flight, depending on the cabin storage capacity of the plane and the expected number of passengers."
    However, I suspect that it is more of a power trip than anything else.

Turn on your southern charm if you want to keep both bags.

Furthermore, this is their policies as of right now, late spring, you will be travelling mid autumn and they might change their policies.

If you don't have a Synapse yet, I would wait until closer to your departure to choose between the 19 and the 25.

Climate

The prevailing wisdom is that London in mid autumn is cold and rainy. But on 1 October 2011, the air temperature attained 30 C (86.0 F). But is usually fluctuate between mid 40's and low 60's Fahrenheit.

With 10 days of rain, which is usually accompanied by wind so it is better to wear a hat than an umbrella.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Nice climate: "Autumn generally starts sunny in September and becomes more cloudy and rainy towards October, while temperatures usually remain above 20 C (68 F) until November where days start to cool down to around 17 C (63 F). Winters are characterized by mild days (11 to 17 C (52 to 63 F)), cool nights (4 to 9 C (39 to 48 F)) and variable weather. Days can be either sunny and dry, or damp and rainy."

October Hight and low for Amalfi 71F / 52F and around 5 inches of rain.

My experience

Same length of travel, also 3 towns but with car travel.
    In Europe, this early Spring I took a Dyneema Aeronaute and a Dyneema Synapse 19.

They are both wonderful! You will be able to fit 3 or 4 pairs of lightweight dress pants in microfiber or dress chinos.
    and 3 or 4 long sleeve shirts in microfiber. Microfiber is quick drying and doesn't wrinkle as much as cotton.

One or two cardigans and maybe a pair of traveling wool pants could help you with the dress up dinners. (I leave the merino wool experts chime in on this)

I think you can wear boots everywhere, especially in autumn and given where you are from.

What do you absolutely need to take on your carry-on? You might be able to get away with the Synapse 19.

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    Sorry--I should have posted more info:

20 nights
    Flying Delta to and from Europe
    The rest of the trip is by train
    3 cities
    mostly casual, a couple of upscale dinners.
    Mid Autumn trip....London, Nice, Amalfi.

Thanks,
    Richard
    I have flown Delta to and from Europe twice now with an Aeronaut and Synapse 19. I have also flown Delta to several domestic locales with the same combination. There is just about 0 chance that anyone will question either bag as your carry-on and personal item. The Aeronaut will look smaller than any rolling bags going on board, and the backpack will fit under the seat.

I assume you're flying trans-Atlantic from Atlanta? If so, there will likely be enough overhead space for you to put both bags over or across from your seat, since you'll be in a 767 or A330. But don't do that until you are 100% certain everybody has stowed their bags, in case someone else needs the space for their main carry-on. I often put my personal item under the seat until the seatbelt light is off and then I grab anything I need and put it in the overhead so I have the extra leg room.

I did about three weeks in Italy last winter with an Aeronaut, and it worked out just fine (I flat-packed a MCB into the Aeronaut so only had one bag with me on the plane and on most in-country train journeys). I think if you go with a 19 as your personal item you won't get too many glances, since I also flew Delta and its affiliates and noticed that a number of people had rolling cases plus ginormous book bags. My Aeronaut was smaller than most kids' backpacks, for crying out loud.

I was there around the holidays and went to a number of very nice restaurants, and I can't say enough about the Dark Pants and Black Sweater combo. It was pretty cold so my Black Sweater was cashmere, but I think merino is perfect for autumn. With or without a dress shirt, you'll blend right in, and you can wear the sweater on other occasions as well. I pretty much wore the same thing to every nice dinner, plus Christmas Day Mass in Florence Cathedral, and it was fine. Unless you're having dinner with a cardinal or some dignitary, you really cannot beat the power of the Dark Pants (and Black Sweater).

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. This is a great forum.
    Richard

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0