Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Lara
  • 2 Post By daisy
  • 1 Post By myroslava
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Questions (and comments) about pocket and pouches

Questions (and comments) about pocket and pouches

Hello All,

I have some questions and comments I'd like to lump into a single post. Here they are:

1) I can see that the mini pouch dimensions (5.7" x 3.9") are big enough for a 3x5 index cards (5.7" x 3.9") but it looks like the zipper (being on a side panel) might prevent easy use for such cards. Can someone tell me how index cards work with the smallest pouch?

2) Is there a design reason for not putting the zipper on the top/edge of the pouch? It seems a little more functional to me, but maybe I am missing something.

3) Comment - The pocket pouch is (or is nearly) perfect for a need I have but would be even better with a pocket on on BOTH sides. I would like to keep cards in one pocket and a few keys (attached to the clip) in the other to keep them from rattling around when not in use. Does anyone agree?

4) Comment - As with #3, a pocket on the outside of any of the organizer pouches would increase functionality, in my humble opinion.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by Arbalest; 05-16-2013 at 10:45 AM.

In response to #1: I think the dimensions of the mini OP describe the outer dimensions. I'm looking at my mini OP right now and with the curves on the bottom of the pouch, I don't think it would be able to fit 3x5 index cards in there easily. Getting them out would be even more of a challenge. The cards would fit very well in a small pouch, though.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Here's a photo of 3x5 index cards in relation to the mini pouch and the small pouch.
    The 3x5 cards definitely don't fit in the mini, but they do fit in the small.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Thanks Badger and Lara!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbalest View Post
    3) Comment - The pocket pouch is (or is nearly) perfect for a need I have but would be even better with a pocket on on BOTH sides. I would like to keep cards in one pocket and a few keys (attached to the clip) in the other to keep them from rattling around when not in use. Does anyone agree?
    I do. Great idea. I carry a thin front-pocket leather wallet made by Dopp with some cards and some cash, and the current version of the pocket pouch wouldn't convince me substitute it for my Dopp thing (although the Dopp doesn't have a clip). But if I could combine keys and wallet in one relatively small profile to keep in _one_ pocket instead of two, that would be potentially interesting.

I've always wondered why the zippers are not across the top edge too. I've always thought is was for ease of manufacturing but that's just a wild guess.
    Moose
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbalest View Post
    Hello All,

2) Is there a design reason for not putting the zipper on the top/edge of the pouch? It seems a little more functional to me, but maybe I am missing something.

The design of the organiser pouches allows them to sit very flat - there are many pouches on the market that have top zips - the TB ones are pretty unique in keeping the edges very slim ... I find it particularly useful when putting multiple pouches in a smallish bag (SCB for eg).
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I've always wondered why the zippers are not across the top edge too. I've always thought is was for ease of manufacturing but that's just a wild guess.
    Moose
    Regular pulling at the zipper close to where it's bent (as when you close an open zippered pouch) stresses the threads which attach the zipper to the bag itself, and it will be torn sooner than if you are not pulling the zipper basically out of where it's sitting (at almost 90 degrees), as opposed to along where it's sitting. That is, if we want the pouch to be closed snugly (with the zipper bent into the pouch at the end). The alternative is sewing the zipper to the pouch up top without bending it inside, leaving holes near the zipper ends (the most widespread type of zippered pouch). These holes are then something out of which smaller items like zip drives etc. will readily fall.
    Last edited by myroslava; 05-17-2013 at 12:14 AM.

That's interesting @myroslava. Thanks.

It occurred to me, after my original post, that another advantage of a zipper on the side is that most items will not fall out when the zipper is open -- no matter the orientation of the pouch. I still like the ease of use when the opening is at the top (i.e. not having to manipulate the material above the side zip to get some things in and out).

When the Organizer Pouches were created, they came in one fabric and one style, the Cordura Pouch.

Over the years, the Clear Cordura, the Ballistic, the Dyneema, the Clear Dyneema Organizer Pouches were created.

Users on this forum, on social media and via the numerous ways to get in contact with Tom Bihn Inc shared their ideas for design with the Crew, which is also comprised of very creative people, who have one strong advantage over us, they know about bags and accessories manufacturing.

Another extension of the Organizer Pouches are the 3D Pouches which people asked for as "gusseted pouches".

The Crew brought us Mesh Pouches and the last surprise was the Pocket Pouch.

I have used small containers to secure stuff in my purses ever since I was a little girl, I experimented with various sizes and shapes, however the quality of manufacturing wasn't there and even with the utmost caution using them, some of them failed.

I have been delighted to find Tom Bihn Inc, a place where I can find a vast array of Bags, Pouches and other Accessories with stylish lines and iron manufacture.

The best part is that the Crew listen to our ideas!

If I want the feeling of a two sided pouch, I just clip two different Pouches to a key ring which is in turn clipped to a Key Strap secured with an O-ring. (O -rings are build in attachment inside Tom Bihn Bags)

I have been asking the Crew to find a source for key ring size O rings so I can replace the key rings with nice big TB O-rings.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-17-2013 at 08:02 AM.