Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which pouch makes the best wallet?

Yam

Which pouch makes the best wallet?

So, I've been looking for something that can replace my wallet and clip into the Synapse 25 side pockets, but I'm not sure which one to get. Here's what I've found:
    1. The Clear Organizer Wallet - This one has the word wallet in it, but I'm not sure how much help the extra dividers are. Anyone have this?
    2. Mini Organizer Pouches (in various fabrics) - Seem to be basically the organizer wallet without the dividers, and with a lot of options as to fabrics...kind of overwhelming actually.
    3. Pocket Pouch - This one seems to be the most convenient, but also a bit smaller?

Maybe you can tell that I'm kind of at a loss as to how to proceed. Any thoughts?

Edit: Typically what I put in my wallet are my license/insurance card, a couple CCs/debit card, a Costco card, cash, and receipts from the last week or two.
    Last edited by Yam; 05-14-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added carrying note

I love my TB wallet...my license and health insurance card go in the front section, my charge cards in the center section, and my cash in the third section. I also use a clear front organizer for coins, and a Dyneema organizer for all my shopping cards. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

This must surely be an infuriating refrain, but: what are you carrying? If it's just a few cards and bills, the pocket pouch would be fine. The mini OP could be good if you occasionally need somewhere to store change, and it can contain a bit more. The wallet is great; the dividers keep essential cards and cash separated from other cards that are needed but perhaps not as often. It's not too important to worry about the array of color options of the mini OPs/pocket pouches, because they'll pick for you unless you choose a Dyneema mini OP.

Yam
    Good point. Added to the original post

Infuriating refrain indeed! Hahahahahahaha! That is the first question us Bihngeeks ALWAYS ask! The other one is "Could you post your packing list??"

My coins are in Cordura Mini OPs but I use a Small Clear OP for wallet.

I know that Maverick can fit many cards and cash in his wallet, I know that he can fit a couple of passports in the Passport Pouch and I know that he can whip a lip balm in and out of a pen slot in an instant.

I cannot do any of that. Hence the size upgrade to a Small Clear OP so I can see if all the necessary cards and public transport tickets before I head out the door and before I come back home.

This has alleviated the "frantic purse digging in the commuter line" in which I attempt to outdo the badger digging a prairie dog burrow in advance of a coyote moves.

One Passport Pouch for each Passport, different colors.

One Small OP for my lip balm.

Since you carry cash, I would nix the pocket pouch. I have the wallet and I love it. I carry the same as you, IDs, credit cards, cash and a few receipts. I also keep my iPhone 3GS in it; it's snug, but it does fit.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  217.9 KB

I also love the TB wallet. The dividers in the wallet are great.

Sue
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Five months ago I stopped carrying around the leather wallet I'd used for years and transferred my essentials to the Clear Organizer Wallet. I wasn't sure at the time whether I'd be able to stick with that decision, as it forced me to be very minimalist in what I would be carrying as my EDC, but I haven't looked back so it seems to be working well for me. I carry between 6 and 9 cards in the back section, a few bills in the middle section, and a few loonies & toonies in the front section.

The things I like about it:
    - the dividers & clear front keep everything organized and easy to find & see.
    - it’s attached to my bag on a long key strap at all times, so I can’t leave it anywhere.
    - everything inside it is securely enclosed with a zipper.
    - though there is room for receipts, I’m finding I no longer keep any receipts in my wallet for more than a day, and I’ve been transferring all my small coins to a coin organizer at home at the end of every day.

The things I don’t like about it:
    - nothing major yet (sometimes I have to work a bit to get my loonies & toonies out, but that doesn’t bother me much).

I do have a Mini Clear Organizer Pouch and Pocket Pouch as well; I use the first one (mine is Dyneema) to hold a few extra coins, a small bottle of Tylenol, my Swiss Army knife, and some band-aids. I use the Pocket Pouch for my small flip-phone.

I’ve since purchased two more of the Clear Organizer Wallets in different colours.

I’m sure everyone has different preferences depending on what they carry and how they like to organize it - that’s just my two cents worth.

Good luck with your decision!
    Aeronaut 45; Synapse 19; Co-Pilot; PCBP & other packing cubes; Swift; 2 x Little Swifts; 3 x Side Effects; 5 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 6 Travel Trays; 5 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Lights; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D All-Fabric Organizer Cubes; 4 Yarn Stuff Sacks; many Clear Organizer Wallets; many, many pouches; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

The TB wallet is fantastic. It gives a lot--and holds a lot more than you would think. I can carry at least 4 cards; quite a few folded dollar bills; and receipts. And the dividers do work well!

ceb
    These wallets work well for women who carry purses or other bags but where does it leave us guys who need a more traditional wallet. A TB men's bifold (steel dyneema perhaps) would be great - large enough for secure storage for 8 or 9 cards, Euro currency, a clear ID window and easy access to one or two cards. Some method of attaching it to a key strap would be nice too.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Yam
    Ah, you know what, I did have that thought too, that as a guy, it might look a bit weird to be fiddling with a zipper pouch. Functionally, they seem great, but my wife tends to think that I'd be better off sticking with my wallet...

ceb
    Its not so much the look (I've had wallets with zippers) but the overall useage - we tend to stick wallets in our pockets (where else are they going to go?) and the clip would just get in the way. If I broke off the clip then I'm losing a huge part of the functionality.

I'm currently using an ALL-ETT walletin nylon and it certainly isn't attractive, but I really don't care what it looks like.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Yam
    Hmm, interesting. I guess if the wallet was made with an O-ring instead of a clip, you would like it then?
    Melissa likes this.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I have an organiser wallet in the bottom of my Ristretto, with driving licence, business cards and other cards I don't use all the time. My pocket pouch has a couple of business cards, breakdown card, 'points' cards, debit and credit cards, all on a long accessory strap, and a small leather change purse that long predates my TB addiction holds my coins, notes and emergency money (I really don't use cash if I can avoid it as my hands aren't dexterous enough).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0