Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By ncb4

Thread: Co-Pilot as a day hike bag?

Co-Pilot as a day hike bag?

Has anyone used the Co-Pilot as a day hiking bag? For a short hike I have been using my packing cube shoulder bag as I detest day hiking with a backpack. The PCSB allows me to hike without the problem of a sweaty back. The only issue is the 5-liter capacity. I sometimes find I need to bring more food and water. I want a steel dyneema Co-Pilot but they are out of stock for more than a month. If you have hiked with one I would love to hear of your experiences. Cheers.

Eire

Quote Originally Posted by Eire View Post
    Has anyone used the Co-Pilot as a day hiking bag? For a short hike I have been using my packing cube shoulder bag as I detest day hiking with a backpack. The PCSB allows me to hike without the problem of a sweaty back. The only issue is the 5-liter capacity. I sometimes find I need to bring more food and water. I want a steel dyneema Co-Pilot but they are out of stock for more than a month. If you have hiked with one I would love to hear of your experiences. Cheers.

Eire
    I have not hiked with one but will comment anyway.

I completely understand the sweaty back concern! I have used the copilot as a day bag on trips to Europe and US cities. I carried a lot of the same things that I carry in my hiking backpack and it worked perfectly. So I don't see why it wouldn't work for hiking. Medium size bottle fits in the middle front pocket. Sunglasses and phone fit in one if the side front pockets. Keys, Multitool, small flashlight and a couple granola bars easily fit in the other side pocket. Large pocket carries baseball cap and raincoat very easily.

Thanks Autolycus. The Co-Pilot is twice the capacity of the packing cube shoulder bag so it should be very useful. I also have a Deuter speedlite 20 which is a 20 liter backpack. All three would give me a good range although the Co-Pilot may allow me to avoid the backpack completely. Would love to find a used steel dyneema Co-Pilot but have not seen one for sale.

Eire

Eire, I hiked with a Co-Pilot last fall, carrying my DSLR kit on hikes in the Smoky Mountains. And as much as I love my Co-Pilot, I would not hike with it again—at least, not in the mountains. Perhaps it would work better if I were hiking along a relatively flat surface, like a beach or through the woods. In the mountains, however, climbing up and down, it slid around too much, enough to throw me off balance at times. I found myself wishing I had a waist strap of some kind so I could carry it like a Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack. In addition, carrying all the weight on one shoulder got to be uncomfortable. I would switch shoulders periodically, but that wasn't ideal.

So next time, I'll take my Synapse 19 instead, though I also don't like the sweaty back syndrome. If I could find some way to replace the shoulder strap of the Co-Pilot with an adjustable buckled belt that I could wrap around my waist, I believe I could carry the CP comfortably as an ad hoc lumbar pack. I do prefer those over backpacks for day hikes. Maybe Tom could design a lumbar pack for us????? Please!

~Nancy

I took one of my Waist Strap and clipped it to the Packing Cube Backpack to make a D.I.Y waist pack for my husband.
    ncb4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I took one of my Waist Strap and clipped it to the Packing Cube Backpack to make a D.I.Y waist pack for my husband.
    Brilliant! I'm going to try that. Thanks, backpack.

~Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I have used the packing cube shoulder bag extensively as a day hiking bag and was ok on hills and flat. However, I imagine I will carry a little more in the co-pilot so I will have to consider it could slide around. May be worth it to avoid a sweaty back.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0