Yam

Does the bottom of the backpack wear?

Hello all,

While I was putting my laptop in my new Steel Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 25, I noticed that the bottom of the main compartment does not have a lining fabric; in other words, all it has is one layer of Steel Dyneema on the bottom. This was surprising because it seems that if any spot in a backpack would need more protection rather than less, it would be the bottom.

I assume this is the way that it was with the old Synapse as well...do any of you with older Synapses know if this is an issue? Specifically I am hesitant now to put my laptop in there, as it pushes out the bottom and forms corners which look like they would be prime wear points.

Thanks for your input!

Volunteer Moderator
    hi yam!

are you using a case for your laptop, or are you trying to place it directly into the synapse 25?

if i recall correctly, the original synapse is the same in that regard. i can confirm when i get home this evening. i have always used a cache for my laptop, whether in the new synapse 25 (cache with rails), or in the original synapse. i don't think the addition of the dyneema lining on the bottom panel of the synapse is going to make a difference in regard to providing protection for your laptop. it would be my guess that the dyneema lining was left out from the bottom panel of the synapse to allow the main compartment to collapse more naturally when it isn't completely full, but i am sure darcy can better comment on that.

Yam
    At the moment, I am placing it directly in the bag - unfortunately, no Cache with Rails exists for 17" workstations like my Dell Precision M6700.

Just to note, my concern is actually for the bag, not the laptop, haha - I realize that I need to get a separate case/sleeve for my laptop. I'm just concerned that the weight/shape of the laptop will cause undue wear on the bottom of the bag, which will then cause holes/other issues in those areas. Similarly, it seems that placing the bag down on rough surfaces could cause issues...?

Volunteer Moderator
    hi yam!

i don't know how much more impact the bare laptop will have on the bag. i do know that tom bihn puts the fabrics they employ through significant tests.

i don't think that placing the laptop without a case in the bag will ever result in holes on the bottom panel. darcy, what do you think?

thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0