Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tri-Star: Briefcase?

Tri-Star: Briefcase?

Hi guys!

I joined this forum because I'm interested in the famous Tri-Star bag. It seems perfect for short weekend trips, etc. But I was wondering if it would also be possible to use this bag as a briefcase for daily office usage? I think it would suit my needs well (I would probably leave the back compartment empty, using only the middle and front compartments). However, I'm just worried that it might look ridiculously large and out of place in an office environment compared to the small briefcases that all my colleagues carry. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks very much in advance for your replies!

-Traveler

How much stuff do you have to carry every day?

If you only need two compartments, why not just get the Western Flyer?

Personally, I think the Tri-Star is way big for an EDC bag. An occasional double use as travel bag/briefcase when traveling is underestandable, but EDC, IMHO, is too much.

YMMV
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

ceb
    Some of it may depend on your particular office but I frequently use the TriStar as my day to day briefcase. I've put an accordion folder in the back part and use that to carry papers back and forth, the middle for my computer (in a brain cell) and the front for all my other stuff. I often use the divided front for my lunch as a TV dinner (am I dating myself) fits nicely in the smaller front half (divider zipped up) and my EDC stuff fits in the other larger half and in the front three pockets. My HydroFlask fits in the water bottle carrier nicely too.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    How much stuff do you have to carry every day?

Personally, I think the Tri-Star is way big for an EDC bag. An occasional double use as travel bag/briefcase when traveling is underestandable, but EDC, IMHO, is too much.

YMMV
    Thanks for your response. Let me try to clarify:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I only need two compartments for daily office use, but I will need the third compartment for travel purposes. Instead of getting one bag for daily office use and another bag for travel, I was just trying to see if it would be possible to make do with one bag for both purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Some of it may depend on your particular office but I frequently use the TriStar as my day to day briefcase. I've put an accordion folder in the back part and use that to carry papers back and forth, the middle for my computer (in a brain cell) and the front for all my other stuff. I often use the divided front for my lunch as a TV dinner (am I dating myself) fits nicely in the smaller front half (divider zipped up) and my EDC stuff fits in the other larger half and in the front three pockets. My HydroFlask fits in the water bottle carrier nicely too.
    Thanks for your reply! This is exactly the kind of usage I am imagining. You don't ever feel that your TriStar is ridiculously large and out of place in an office environment?

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by traveler38 View Post
    I only need two compartments for daily office use, but I will need the third compartment for travel purposes. Instead of getting one bag for daily office use and another bag for travel, I was just trying to see if it would be possible to make do with one bag for both purposes.

It makes little difference which one you buy now because you'll just find a reason to get the other as well.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

It makes little difference which one you buy now because you'll just find a reason to get the other as well.
    Haha... very possible, but I like to think of myself as a minimalist, so I try to avoid purchasing multiple products when I can use a single product for multiple purposes.

The only thing I don't like about using the WF as a briefcase is the single handle on the top. I wish it had the dual padded handles like the Empire Builder or Tristar. I usually would carry a laptop in the WF, and always felt it was kind of awkward to use the handle.

I just received a Tri-Star yesterday. I don't think it would be too large to use as a briefcase. It's about the same size as an old school Samsonite briefcase.

traveler38, you've been warned! Though you may indeed be made of stronger stuff than some of us!

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about using the WF as a briefcase is the single handle on the top. I wish it had the dual padded handles like the Empire Builder or Tristar. I usually would carry a laptop in the WF, and always felt it was kind of awkward to use the handle.
    Just checked with the beloved - he used his cardinal WF as a briefcase last week while at an interstate client site. It was his carryon for the trip and then carried to the office everyday carrying a large laptop, ipad, books papers etc. Quite a heavy load - he says he pretty much used the Absolute strap every time he carried it .. so didn't really notice the lack of the double handle (he has an EB also).

I sometimes wish my Ego had a double handle but I know it's really only meant to be a grab handle and generally the load warrants the A/strap anyway (instantly deducts 2kg)
    List under construction ....

It is a matter of scale. For our petite fellow Tom Bihn Bag owners, a Small Cafe Bag looks substantial, a Co-Pilot can be a minimalist briefcase and the Western Flyer is about the maximum carry on size before reaching the Ninja Turtle Stage.

To me, the Small Cafe Bag and the Co-Pilot are tiny cute purses.

My first two Tom Bihn Bags were a Brain Bag and a Large Cafe Bag which fit my torso and my side perfectly. I frequently wore them together while travelling.

I just got a yummy Tristar and I think it would be the perfect briefcase to fight city hall.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    It is a matter of scale. For our petite fellow Tom Bihn Bag owners, a Small Cafe Bag looks substantial, a Co-Pilot can be a minimalist briefcase and the Western Flyer is about the maximum carry on size before reaching the Ninja Turtle Stage.

To me, the Small Cafe Bag and the Co-Pilot are tiny cute purses.

My first two Tom Bihn Bags were a Brain Bag and a Large Cafe Bag which fit my torso and my side perfectly. I frequently wore them together while travelling.

I just got a yummy Tristar and I think it would be the perfect briefcase to fight city hall.
    Well, to give you an idea of scale - I'm 5 foot 8 inches tall, and I weigh about 140 pounds!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    A Tri-Star would make one capacious briefcase, but it does collapse down well when under filled, so would be fine, but a Wester Flyer would make a great briefcase! I've been thinking this since I got mine, but haven't had a need for such a thing since getting it... at least not yet!

I think the issue with the Tri-Star as a briefcase is not just that it is too honkin big,though it is.
    The problem is the lack of structure if it is not full enough which can make it resemble an empty suitcase which is what I try to avoid.

I have gotten around this though pretty easily by using a stiff divider inside the 2 outside compartments which helps give the bag some structure when not full but does not intrude in case I need to fill it.

Of course the dividers from the Empire Builder are almost ideal for this and I think I know where you can get some?
    I mean aside from taking them out of your own E.B. once your will power fails you and you find yourself with both bags!

Ed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0