Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Question Will a 17" MacBook Pro fit into the Synapse 25?

I'm looking to replace an older backpack that I use for my 17" unibody MacBook Pro. I like the Brain Bag but it is much bigger than I typically need for my travels. I would prefer to get the new Synapse 25 (I love my Synapse 19) but I'm not totally sure if I can fit my 17" MBP into it. The only recommendations from the web site for this size laptop is the Brain Bag or Smart Alec but it seems like the interior dimensions of the Synapse 25 could accommodate the 17" MBP.

Does anyone know if a size 1 vertical cache will fit into the main compartment of the Synapse 25?

I just spoke to a very helpful person at Tom Bihn who manually checked this for me. She said the size 1 vertical cache would be a little snug at the top but that it should fit just fine so I went ahead and ordered the Synapse 25 with the size 1 cache. Once it shows up I'll let you all know how the fit is with an actual 17" MBP in it.

I have the 15" retina MBP in mine, and honestly I think the 17" will be a tight fit. With my 15" i'm already concerned about how close to the bottom of the bag it gets.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tstoeckel View Post
    I just spoke to a very helpful person at Tom Bihn who manually checked this for me. She said the size 1 vertical cache would be a little snug at the top but that it should fit just fine so I went ahead and ordered the Synapse 25 with the size 1 cache. Once it shows up I'll let you all know how the fit is with an actual 17" MBP in it.
    Note that while technically it will fit, we do not recommend (actually, we'd urge you not to) putting the Size 1 Vertical Cache in the Synapse 25: it's just too tight of a fit and could potentially put undue stress on the zippers and corners of the bag that could, over time, lead to premature wear and tear. Let me know if you would like to return the Size 1 Cache -- we'll cover the shipping charges!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hi Darcy. I received the bag today and I see what you mean. Although it does basically fit, I would be worried about wear on those top edges of the pack. Plus, there isn't much protecting those corners of the laptop at the top of the bag. I was looking forward to adding a third Tom Bihn bag to my collection but I don't think this is the one right now. Thanks for the offer to take it back and cover the shipping. Please let me know what I need to do to return the order.

Thanks again,
    Tom

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tstoeckel View Post
    Hi Darcy. I received the bag today and I see what you mean. Although it does basically fit, I would be worried about wear on those top edges of the pack. Plus, there isn't much protecting those corners of the laptop at the top of the bag. I was looking forward to adding a third Tom Bihn bag to my collection but I don't think this is the one right now. Thanks for the offer to take it back and cover the shipping. Please let me know what I need to do to return the order.

Thanks again,
    Tom
    Sorry, Tom -- wish we would've saved you the trouble in the first place. Send an email to customerservice@tombihn.com and we'll go from there.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0