Aeronaut + Ideas for a 5 week Vacation

Looking for some advise firstly on packing cubes to purchase for the Aeronaut. Little background I'm taking a 5 week trip to Europe this summer and want to try and take only my Aeronaut and a smaller personal bag. Originally i was going to take my Smart Alec but it is a little cumbersome with both bags. I have not purchased this said smaller bag because I don't know a good combination bag. I'm looking for a bag for say iPad, camera, travel documents, and over flow from my Aeronaut.

Packing cubes I was thinking 2 small cubes, 1 large cube backpack(I like the idea of a day pack), 1 side cube, 1 clear quarter cube(toiletry) and a size 3 travel sack for the other end of that compartment.

Any thoughts on the list of cubes or a companion bag Tom Bihn or not.

Thanks!

I would suggest the Co-Pilot as the smaller bag. You can wear it cross body underneath the backpack straps of the Aeronaute.

If you ever want to look more dress up, you can carry the Aeronaute with the Absolute Strap and the Co-Pilot by hand or just tuck it inside the Aeronaute.

Would you mind sharing what you plan to wear and where you are going in Europe? The weather is different from northern to southern Europe and there are also plenty of micro climate.

I was there this Spring and we had a wide range of weather and temperature. I expect the range to be less wide in summer but one never knows.

I took my Synapse 19 and an Aeronaute and I had a Aeronaute Packing Cube Backpack, a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. and one of each size of the Travel Stuff Stacks as well as a Clear Quarter Packing Cube and a 3D Cube.

The Dyneema fabric allows for very efficient packing of the Aeronaute and accompanying bag.

Without knowing what layers you are taking and your size, the Packing Cubes you mention are spot on.

I would suggest a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag for one of the end pocket. It has 2 zipper pockets and two o- rings to clip a Strap into it so you have have the possibility to hang it somewhere.

I think your choice of cubes is great, possibly instead of the Travel Sack I might suggest the Travel Tray as it is infinitely handy for keeping all your nick-knacks that might otherwise get lost in the shuffle and when cinched up it fits pretty well in half an end compartment of the aeronaut.

The packing cube backpack is a great dual purpose bag. In the aeronaut it fits pants, jackets/hoodies and collared shirts perfectly. On its own it is great for bombing around town and running errands.

By the sounds of it the co-pilot with a clear organizer pouch for travel documents might be a good companion bag for your needs depending on the size of your camera gear.

I purchased a Co-pilot for my overflow bag to my Synapse 19. However, a packing cube backpack or packing cube shoulder bag could work just as well for your second bag. I am a water bottle carrier, so the Co-pilot works very well for me.

I also have a travel tray. I love to use it to put my phone, keys, change and glasses into it at night before i sleep so I have everything together and I am not searching for things in the morning.
    Last edited by Canonsue; 05-04-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

We are heading to Italy, Croatia, Paris for a few days and up to Ireland to visit my girlfriends family for a few days. Most of the time will be spent goin through Italy and the island of the Adriatic off the coast of Croatia.

Travel tray was a gimme was going to purchase that for the smaller bag. I'm the type of person if I don't have a place to put things they end up going every where. Haha but I didn't think it was that big to take up half an end of the Aeronaut. Hmmm.

Can a co-pilot hold an iPad - that's why I initially dismissed that bag because of the 3 compartment it doesn't look like it can.

A Co-Pilot can indeed hold an iPad in the main compartment. As others say, whether the camera will fit depends on the size of the camera and any extras. With all the coastal/beach-y traveling you are doing, I think you'll have no problem packing into the Aeronaut (I did three weeks in the winter with one), although I imagine a light jacket and possibly a sweater wouldn't go amiss in the evening. Parts of Italy can get downright frigid at night when the cool air sinks into the stone streets and buildings.

The Travel Tray squishes, mine was placed on top of everything in the Synapse 19 and I could zip the bag up every time.

Because of the addition of Ireland and Paris, I definitely echo what Badger said and recommend a jacket and a sweater.

If you go to Italy first, you could get a beautiful Italian knit and wear it in Paris and Ireland.

No matter what, take a very lightweight packable wind breaker.

Even if the weather is balmy most of your journey, there might be the occasional freezing sunset because of high winds, a definitely chilly breakfast morning courtesy of a early dawn rain...

Flasgship airlines in the U.S mostly do not weight luggages but most other airlines do. If you are flying a mix of airlines, the most stringent rules will always apply and you will be asked to check bags or pay fees.

If you are the type of person who needs everything in its place, I would recommend the Clear Quarter Packing Cube and the 3D Cube because they have a clear front.
    You might prefer mesh or solid Pouches and Cubes.

Don't forget the Passport Pouch!

Last summer I spent 2 weeks in France (Lyon for my sister's wedding and then Paris) with an Aeronaut, Synapse 19 and Large Cafe Bag. Clothes went into the Aeronaut, laptop/work supplies went into Synapse along with the LCB which I'd pull out and use as a day bag. The combo worked really well for me however I overpacked and had no room for souvenirs.

Bon Voyage!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0