Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Yam

What to do with Synapse inner pocket?

Hello all,

I recently received my Synapse 25 in Steel Dyneema/Wasabi, and I've been quite pleased with the quality and organization of the pockets. Most backpacks, when stuffed full, effectively lose the usage of their smaller/outside pockets; as I found when I test-packed my Synapse, there is no such problem here.

However, I've been a bit confused about how to use the elastic pocket inside the main compartment. You can see it here:

Name:  TB0111_09b.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  33.7 KB

I've seen something like this before, but it was on the back of the backpack and intended for use with a hydration reservoir. In the Synapse, it is in the front...any ideas?

Tablet in a Cache?
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ mini-'Absolute', Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag, packing cube shoulder bag & various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Yam
    Yes, I actually have my iPad in an STM iPad Jacket (great case, btw) in there right now. That said, the pocket seems like it could hold something much larger, but it kind of billows out at the bottom and is narrower at the top, so it seems like it's not ideal for packing cubes....so I'm still confused

Quote Originally Posted by Yam View Post
    Yes, I actually have my iPad in an STM iPad Jacket (great case, btw) in there right now. That said, the pocket seems like it could hold something much larger, but it kind of billows out at the bottom and is narrower at the top, so it seems like it's not ideal for packing cubes....so I'm still confused
    I believe it was designed to hold a hydration reservoir or a tablet, book, gloves, hat, scarf, rain coat, or whatever else you want to keep separate from the rest of the bag's content so you can get to it easily. I use the one in my Synapse 19 for my ipad and for a book and mail or other loose papers that I don't want crumpled up by everything else in the bag.

Yam
    Hmm, interesting. It sounds like it would be somewhat similar to the bottom outer pocket...? Although I guess it would have more protection.

It's a Synapse Pocket so you put brainy stuff in there such as an iPad and a Field Journal Notebook.

This way your tools for creativity both analogue and digital are right at your fingertips.

I generally use that pocket to stuff my daily mail in. If not that my kindle or sometimes work folders.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

jea
    I use this as an all purpose drop space for odds and ends in my Synapse 19--from pouches to granola bars. Keeps the main pocket space from getting cluttered with the small stuff.

Yam
    Thanks for the ideas, all. I'll keep them in mind as I keep using my new Synapse. Planning on using it to bike to work on Monday!

I use mine for a first aid kit, eye glass cleaning kit, and micro organizer with smaller EDC items in it.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

It holds A4 paper nicely - I use it to carry papers.

Audrey

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0