Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Various Backpack Straps

Various Backpack Straps

I'm new to backpacks, and just received my Synapse25. I'm curious--how many of you remove, or don't use the sternum strap, and the waist strap?? I loaded the backpack, and wonder if I'd really use those straps. Most of my use for this backpack is to replace my briefcase, and carry stuff to office and home.
    Last edited by rlandis; 04-30-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

I have a Synapse 19 and removed the waist strap the first day, and kept the sternum strap. I almost never buckle it though! For the small load I carry, it never seems necessary. When I use my big load backpack, I always use the sternum strap. That one gets loaded with groceries and library books.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi rlandis!

congratulations on the purchase of your new synapse 25!

i don't use the sternum or waist strap on a daily basis, as i have a short walk from my car to my office. but i do fasten the sternum strap when i'm walking longer distances or moving fast (think: running through the airport, trying to make it to my gate before the flight closes).

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I use the sternum strap a lot, but not in the way you'd expect! As a wheelchair user, I usualy have my rucksack on the back of my chair. The sternum strap ensures that it can't fall off! Pre disability, I used a Lowe Alpine sack and generally used the sternum strap when walking or cycling, but my trusty old Karrimor of 1983 vintage didn't have one - it was great for walking, but without a sternum strap it wasn't so great on the bike.

The sternum & waist straps are still on my BB after 12 years ... but I don't think I've ever used them. Can't see taking cutters to my TB.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

ceb
    A question I've been meaning on asking for a while - how does the Syn 25 carry as a sling? I like the versatility of a backpack but don't see myself using it as such frequently as I think it generally looks foolish with a suit, but slinging it over one shoulder looks fine (I think)

Thoughts?
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

sternum strap is a must. the waist strap rests on my stomach when i use it so pretty useless if you ask me. no matter what i try, the waist strap always goes around my stomach rather my waist. too bad.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I'm relatively short, so I mostly don't use the waist straps on many things. They don't hit me in the right place most times, that and I don't like the idea of drawing attention to my waist area. . . I do hold on to them, and if I am in a situation where it aids the stability or my comfort I add them though.

I do however cherish my sternum straps. I'm fairly weak and have back issues, I find the sternum straps to be invaluable when my backpack is loaded to keep it comfortable and balanced. It does awful things to my breast, and I'm sure it's not super flattering to look at me carrying the backpack with everything in the front smooshed and distorted. . . but I'm not wearing the backpack for looks, I'm wearing it to carry stuff, and it wouldn't do if I was injured or sore from carrying it.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I love my waist straps. I'm a bit lucky in that both my Aeronaut and Synapse 25 are almost exactly as long as my torso, so the straps hit me right at the top of my hips. The straps take a good portion of the load and transfer it to my hips. Especially nice when my Aeronaut weighs close to 30 pounds and I have to run through an airport. Once it's settled on my hips, I loosen the straps and use the sternum strap to keep it from bouncing too much.

I remove all of the "optional" straps on my TB bags...I have a whole mess of them in a drawer, and at this point don't really know which straps go to which bags.
    Moose likes this.
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I remove all of the "optional" straps on my TB bags...I have a whole mess of them in a drawer, and at this point don't really know which straps go to which bags.
    LOL---me too!!!!
    Moose likes this.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    A question I've been meaning on asking for a while - how does the Syn 25 carry as a sling? I like the versatility of a backpack but don't see myself using it as such frequently as I think it generally looks foolish with a suit, but slinging it over one shoulder looks fine (I think)

Thoughts?
    hi ceb,

walking from my car in the garage into my office, that is how i used to carry the original synapse, and that is how i carried the synapse 25 yesterday. but walking longer distances - for example from the bus stop to my office (2-3 blocks) - i like using both straps.

if you are carrying a lot of weight in your backpack, and specially if you have back problems, i would strongly encourage carrying your backpack using both straps, even for short distances, so that the weight is evenly distributed to both sides.

ceb
    Thanks Maverick - yes, I was primarily referring to short distances - that block from the car to the office as it would be my EDC. I'd feel foolosh using both straps with a suit and it becomes more unwieldly in the elevator if you're still wearing it and it is crowded.

Ideally, someone would make a backpack that also accommodates an Absolute strap and you could wear it like an oddly shaped messenger bag.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Thanks Maverick - yes, I was primarily referring to short distances - that block from the car to the office as it would be my EDC. I'd feel foolosh using both straps with a suit and it becomes more unwieldly in the elevator if you're still wearing it and it is crowded.

Ideally, someone would make a backpack that also accommodates an Absolute strap and you could wear it like an oddly shaped messenger bag.
    suit or not, one way of carrying your gear is by placing it on your head. i don't see a lot of people here in the u.s. carrying their gear this way, but it isn't uncommon in rural india. certainly, you wouldn't have to worry about your suit or whatever else you were wearing!

Name:  Mysore_woman_balancing_basket.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  602.0 KB

Name:  3711006083_1b530980f3_z.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  210.3 KB

Maybe TB should design a hatpack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0