Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Various Backpack Straps

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I remove all of the "optional" straps on my TB bags...I have a whole mess of them in a drawer, and at this point don't really know which straps go to which bags.
    Maybe I'm TB OCD, but I carefully took the unused accessories from my Synapse (yes, like most people here, I removed the waist strap and use the sternum strap for larger/longer carry loads) and put them in a little ziploc bag with the tag marked Synapse, so if I need the waist strap one day, I'll know which strap it is. I did this for the clips, straps, and zipper pulls I wasn't using from all my TB bags.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_T View Post
    Maybe TB should design a hatpack.
    I wonder if any of these talented ladies can balance a fully loaded Aeronaut on their head? That would be a great picture!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    I wonder if any of these talented ladies can balance a fully loaded Aeronaut on their head? That would be a great picture!
    or a talented man...
    -m

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    suit or not, one way of carrying your gear is by placing it on your head. i don't see a lot of people here in the u.s. carrying their gear this way, but it isn't uncommon in rural india. certainly, you wouldn't have to worry about your suit or whatever else you were wearing!
    Great idea! That should start some conversations in downtown DC - this balding middle aged guy in a suit wabering down the sidewalk carrying his TB designed EDC on his head

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_T View Post
    Maybe TB should design a hatpack.
    +2
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    or a talented man...
    That would(n't) be me
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Maybe I'm TB OCD, but I carefully took the unused accessories from my Synapse (yes, like most people here, I removed the waist strap and use the sternum strap for larger/longer carry loads) and put them in a little ziploc bag with the tag marked Synapse, so if I need the waist strap one day, I'll know which strap it is. I did this for the clips, straps, and zipper pulls I wasn't using from all my TB bags.
    I do the exact same thing!! We can be OCD together

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    I do the exact same thing!! We can be OCD together
    yeeeeahhhh! Party!

(I do this too)
    List under construction ....

I usually keep the straps on my BB to stabilize bigger loads for longer distances (lugging stuff through an airport, for example). It's much easier to maneuver about if the bag isn't flopping around with a bunch of stuff. As others have said here, the sternum straps are especially useful in that case. I never use them when I have the BB at work because I usually pack lighter (laptop, iPad, assorted office goodies).

I'm getting ready to buy a synapse for a daypack & light travel, and I suspect I would not use them too much because it's not that big on my 6' frame. They would be useful for hiking, however!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

I have a fairly good number of Tom Bihn Bags with build in straps.

They always stay on.

Once my Sapphire Brain Bag had to be tugged really hard to taken out from under the seat,

Well I didn't found out until I was at the show room that it was missing one side of my waist buckle, so Tom replaced it and buckled it and cinched it. Fortunate uh? Or, aren't there are great captains for space cadets?

I now do that with every single of my bags with waist straps.

This way I make sure that nothing gets tangled.

Tom's method has saved yours truly many times.

But the most serious was last month, we were staying in a hotel, we had just had diner and were playing with our tablets.

All of a sudden, there is the unmistakeable sound of a extremely loud tornado siren, there was no lightning or thunder prior to this.

I took my tablet to the bathroom (away from the window) and checked the radar and found that the tornado was north of us going north, so we were out of danger.

Unfortunately, heavy rain and hail doesn't really fit with a big bay windows hotel, especially when the light suddenly goes off and we hear hotel personnel telling everybody to get downstairs.

I took my already packed Small Cafe Bag and Synapse 19, put on my laced up shoes and took a couple of flights of stairs to the reception then another lower floor.

The straps from the Synapse were a tremendous help keeping my load together and it also kept me warm as I forgot to take a sweater before going down the steps.

It feel good to have my personal stuff in my SCB and some water in the Synapse 19.

The Guardian Light and the Tom Bihn Whistle are a must have great pair!

Don't go anywhere without them!

In addition, place those essential items, in always the same manner, in your EDC bag or various EDC bags.

a lightweight windbreaker

your glasses

essential medications

pen and paper

a lightweight and filling snack.if you are on a special diet. (nuts and energy bars are good for that)

Keep weather maps on the browser of your smart phones/tablets/laptops, the ones from NOAA have no ads and very good build in warnings.

... put them in a little ziploc bag with the tag marked Synapse.
    Great minds think alike.... 'nuff said.

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

This is what I do:

I usually remove all extra straps from my backpacks. But to avoid missing them when I need them, or to avoid to mixing them with zillion other straps, I put them in the smallest pouch I can or in a small Yarn Stuff Sack or travel Stuff Sack , the pouch should be in a matching color to the bag interior color and is attached with a 16” key strap to one of the O-rings, usually in the main section. This way the straps are always with the correct bag, not visible and not bothering and available for use when and if I’ll ever need. bit ëxpensive"for hosting straps but I like it

Waist straps are of little use for short distances or low weight. The sternum strap is good to either distribute the weight to provide more support (heavy loads), or to simply keep the straps in place (any load). I have relatively narrow shoulders, so I appreciate having a the sternum strap on my packs to keep the straps in a comfortable position. There's no sense in walking around hunched over, or stressing your shoulders (usually unconsciously) because you're trying to keep the straps in a comfortable spot.

For the bags I'm more likely to use the waist straps on, I stash the straps in the bag in one of the smaller pockets. The rest live in my bag bin (under my bed, close to where I sleep), waiting for the time when they are needed.
    I'm going to need a second bag bin soon, my travel bags live in my closet, but they miss their family dearly.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    LOL---me too!!!!
    Good to know I'm not alone. I have a zippered bag full in the bag where I stash my smaller bags.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0