Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ArnieJB
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By ArnieJB

Thread: Medium Cafe Bag for Wife - Need Color Opinion

Medium Cafe Bag for Wife - Need Color Opinion

I am looking for purchase MCB as a Mother's Day gift for my wife. It is for carrying her iPad, phone and wallet specifically when we travel. She usually doesn't carry a purse when we travel and puts everything into a small rolling luggage case and uses that as her carry-on. I know the airlines allow one carry-on and one personal item, so I figured she could use the MCB as her personal item and that would take the place of her purse when we travel.

Now, the tricky part - what color to get her?? Right now it is a toss-up between Plum / Wasabi and Steel Dyneema/Steel. Is the Plum very bright like in the photos or is it a little more muted? I am afraid if it is too bright, she won't like it (she normally carries a black purse). Or...the Steel Dyneema is unique and has a more neutral/conservative color that would go with anything she wears and might be less conspicuous to would be pick-pockets.

Thank you in advance for any input.

You cannot go wrong with the Steel Dyneema/Steel, it is very understated, lightweight and a perfect travel bag.

Even if the majority of her purses are black could you tell us what the second color or at least what second color family (greys, blues, purples, reds, greens, yellows, oranges, browns) she favors.

Take a look at her accessories: shoes, scarves, belts, jewellery (gold/silver or mixes) and clothes.

If you see a rainbow, the best way might be to look at your decor, dishes, appliances, cars and bike colors.

Let us know so that we might be able to guess if she would be comfortable with a nice colorful bag.

Plum is deep and understated but there is no doubt that Wasabi is very bright.

Who knows she might have a favorite or a brand new outfit in Plum/Wasabi just ready to be going on vacation and if you score the matching bag, you will be getting much brownie points and smiles!
    Last edited by backpack; 04-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Most of her wardrobe is black, charcoal grey, red and burgundy. Red is her favorite color.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I bought my wife a plum/wasabi MCB recently and she loves it. Steel is great when you need to go under the radar (e.g. My EDC Ristretto), but go bright and you'll make her smile!

There's also Steel/Cayenne. A conservative color on the outside, with a pop of brightness inside. Cayenne looks a bit more on the orangey-red spectrum (I don't own anything cayenne, so it's entirely based off what I think it looks like on screen), as opposed to a richer red/burgundy, but the brighter cayenne probably makes it easier to see stuff inside the bag.

It's a tough one!

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnieJB View Post
    Most of her wardrobe is black, charcoal grey, red and burgundy. Red is her favorite color.
    I am not sure I would choose plum if her favourite colour is red. But maybe that's just me being conservative!

It probably seems a bit boring but on the basis of that wardrobe palette I'd go with Black as a first preference and then maybe Steel or Steel dyneema. Do you know if she likes the look of dyneema? It is not for everyone as an exterior fabric.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Another option might be to get the MCB in a neutral colour like Steel or Black, and then get some colourful accessory pouches for it. That would be less of a "colour commitment" - most of the time they would be hidden in the main bag, and if she does tire of them, it is less expensive to replace them with something in a different colour. The organizer wallet and various pouches & cubes are available in gorgeous reds like Cardinal and/or Iberian, as well as many other lovely hues. Just an idea....
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

I agree with JLE based on what you said about her preferred colors. Of course, the Linen/Steel would match her wardrobe of black, grey & red, and match iberian or cardinal accessories such as pouches. I ordered that combo myself as it just came back in stock but haven't received it yet to send a photo. Bear in mind the tactile difference between the cordura (soft) and dyneema (slick). While I really like dyneema in accessories, I'm not sure I would personally want it in a bag larger than a Side Effect (unless you really need an uber lightweight bag) - it's alot of check pattern to the eye. Having said that, steel is my favorite color of dyneema.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Alternatively, you could go with a more conservative color on the outside, with a brighter color on the inside? I have a black/wasabi MCB and a cocoa/wasabi SCB, and I love them both to bits.
    Medium Cafe Bag (black/wasabi), Synapse 19 (black/steel), Small Cafe Bag (cocoa/wasabi), Field Journal Notebook (black) <3

Cayenne's My Bag

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieJB View Post
    ...Red is her favorite color.
    Red is my favorite color as well. That is why when I purchased my MCB, i decided on one in (Steel/Cayenne).

[By the way... I am a guy, and except when I am traveling to Europe, I wear my standard uniform: Khaki cargo pants and a hawaiian shirt. Tacky, I know.... so, color matching is not my thing.]

Of course, I am not qualified to comment on color coordination, but I think that the cayenne is a beautiful color; not a flashy color, and I don't find that it would attract attention unnecessarily. It's a slightly muted burnt orange to my eyes... I love it. In fact, later, I purchased a Super Ego (Black/Forest/Cayenne).

Come to think of it, I want cargo pants in Cayenne.

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Thank you so much for the very helpful input. Now I am leaning towards the Black / wasabi
    Lara likes this.

I got my wife a Cocoa/Wasabi. She loves it!
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0