• 1 Post By Juliana
  • 1 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By Pita11
  • 1 Post By campfire
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By JLE

Thread: Aeronaut on a short person?

Aeronaut on a short person?

Just wondering if anyone has pictures! I'm not planning to get one anytime soon, but I was curious! I'm 4'10" and not likely to grow anymore. Ha, ha...
    RDR3 likes this.
    Medium Cafe Bag (black/wasabi), Synapse 19 (black/steel), Small Cafe Bag (cocoa/wasabi)
    Co-Pilot (black/iberian), Side Effect (aubergine/wasabi), Swift (forest/forest/wasabi) <3

At 5'3", I think I'd count as a short person, and I have no trouble with the Aeronaut. However, I have very broad shoulders, brute strength, and a low center of gravity, all thanks to the vagaries of genetics. If you're very slight in addition to petite, a well-packed Aeronaut would likely overwhelm you. I think it's important to question what you're planning to carry, what kind of travel you're doing, and for how long. If you've seen the mass quantities of things that Lani and some other small ladies here (I am not one of them) can cram into a Western Flyer, you may find that you don't need as much bag as an Aeronaut would provide you. Good luck!
    Juliana likes this.

You're right, a Western Flyer would probably be a much better fit! I'm tempted, but I don't travel often enough to really need travel bags... My longest trip is just short of two weeks, and that's only once a year at the most.

I have a Zephyr that I gave to my mom a few days ago because it's just so heavy and bulky and I never use it. It looks like the WF is a bit bigger (also lighter, though), but I'd hope that the backpack straps would help distribute the weight a little better.
    Medium Cafe Bag (black/wasabi), Synapse 19 (black/steel), Small Cafe Bag (cocoa/wasabi)
    Co-Pilot (black/iberian), Side Effect (aubergine/wasabi), Swift (forest/forest/wasabi) <3

Definitely try the WF. I have a ballistic WF and I was pleasantly surprised how much I can fit in it. I last packed 7 shirts, 4 pants, underwear, socks, pair of soft star runamocs and a 15 MBP (in sleeve). It weighed a bit due to the laptop but it still came under 18 lbs. and fit well in ERJ (under seat, overhead bin).
    Juliana likes this.

+1 on the WF. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and a fully loaded Tri-Star is the maximum luggage I ever want to carry, with the Western Flyer being my preference. Since you say you're on the fence about a specialized travel bag, the WF would at least be an extremely versatile option, for short travel and even day-use. Not the advice you asked for, but leave it to the light packers to talk you down from a 45 Liter bag to a 26 Liter one!
    Juliana likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    You're right, a Western Flyer would probably be a much better fit! I'm tempted, but I don't travel often enough to really need travel bags... My longest trip is just short of two weeks, and that's only once a year at the most.

I have a Zephyr that I gave to my mom a few days ago because it's just so heavy and bulky and I never use it. It looks like the WF is a bit bigger (also lighter, though), but I'd hope that the backpack straps would help distribute the weight a little better.
    The Aeronaut can really hold a lot, so although the bag itself does not weigh that much, you might find that if you fully pack it, it may be more than you want to carry. I'm 5' 3˝" and have the Aeronaut, but currently mainly use the Tri-Star for its compliance with the smaller sizes of some international airlines, and for access to the center pocket. Take a look at this Aeronaut Advice thread and also follow the link in BJ Nemeth's post for more size-related discussions.

FWIW, I had the Empire Builder (before the smaller Zephyr was designed), and that was the one bag I sold as not being a good match to my height and for the weight vs carrying capacity. I think it was where the center of mass of the bag fell for my height, so it felt bulky and heavy. I haven't tried to get a Zephyr for that reason, although it's likely that design would work better than the Empire Builder did for my frame. I say this to let you know that a Western Flyer with either backpack straps or carried with an Absolute strap should be very comfortable for you, and nothing like your experience with the Zephyr.
    Juliana likes this.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The Aeronaut can really hold a lot, so although the bag itself does not weigh that much, you might find that if you fully pack it, it may be more than you want to carry.
    I agree. I am 5'6 on a good day and fit/active and I find that a fully packed Aeronaut (this usually works out to 10kg or so for me) is too heavy for a comfortable carry over long distances. That's why I tend to use it more for car trips than air travel.

I love my WF! It's my favourite TB bag. As I've said on other threads, I think it is the best proportioned of the travel bags and it doesn't bulge the way the Tri-Star can when overstuffed. Fully packed it typically weighs about 7kg, based on my usual packing choices (but I always carry tech and other essentials/valuables in a separate shoulder bag).
    Juliana likes this.

Are the backpack straps on the WF similar to the ones on the Synapse? Come to think of it, how about the other bags with backpack straps, like the actual, er, backpacks? Are they all the same or are some wider or more padded than others?

Are the backpack straps on the WF similar to the ones on the Synapse? Come to think of it, how about the other bags with backpack straps, like the actual, er, backpacks? Are they all the same or are some wider or more padded than others?
    The Western Flyer backpack straps look exactly the same as the ones on my Aeronaute and Tristar.

They are very very comfortable.

I carried either the Aeronaute or the Tristar inside long airports hallways, (why is it that my gate is always the last one when I have a multi stops trip?)

All my prior trips were done with the Brain Bag whose padded backpack strap and back made of Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh and is padded with 3/8", high quality, closed-cell foam had completely spoiled me for travel inside airports, no matter how full the Brain Bag was.

My EDC backpack, The Synapse 19, also has a back made of Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh and padded with 3/8", high quality, closed-cell foam.

So I was a tiny bit anxious when I realized that I would have to do without the padding on my Aeronaute and Tristar.

But...The Aeronaute, the Tristar and the Western Flyer (I presume) because the picture of the back with backpack straps looks strikingly similar to my Tristar has padding in the back.

I wasn't sure and so I brought my Tristar closer to me.

Lo and behold! There is comfortable, yet barely visible padding.

You should have no problem using the Western Flyer in backpack mode, the best thing about it, you can just tuck the backpack straps in if you want to look more continental or, like me, are wearing a Synapse 19 and a Small Cafe Bag.

Both the Aeronaute and the Tristar in Dyneema can be packed around 6 or 7 kg, 13.2 or 15.4 lb for either Plus size lightweight clothes (layered) or medium size heavy ones (jeans and fleece).

So I doubt that a petite person would need more than a Western Flyer.

Sorry for the tome but I thought I would share the awesomeness of the Western Flyer and its bigger cousins.

I did play with the Western Flyer at the store, but at the time, I wasn't in the market for another travel bag.

Even in ballistic, it is lighter and smaller than the two others and a perfect travel bag for a petite person or a briefcase for myself.

I love my WF, but it looks like a travel bag, and I wouldn`t want to use it as a daypack.
    The Smart Alec is 26 litres (I think) and is reminiscent of the aeronaut with the top zipper.
    You can use packing cubes to keep your stuff organized within the backpack.
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

...like, omg, there`s a pic of the smart alec western flyer packing cubes in it on the smart alec page of the TB website!
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

Just wondering if anyone has pictures! I'm not planning to get one anytime soon, but I was curious! I'm 4'10" and not likely to grow anymore. Ha, ha...
    Did you end up getting an Aeronaut or WF? I've been tempted by both, especially with the new black dyneema, and am only 1.5" taller than you and petite.

Hey, sorry for the (very) late reply. I didn't end up getting either of them, because I bought a Field Journal Notebook first and thought I'd take a break from spending money for a while.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0