Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By drbobguy
  • 1 Post By jannilee
  • 6 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By LauraA
  • 5 Post By SKIMT
  • 1 Post By Toblerhaus
  • 1 Post By dchang0

Thread: Synapse 25 / Under Airplane Seat?

Synapse 25 / Under Airplane Seat?

I am a complete newbie to the one bag travel idea and don't fly that often. What started me on the kick was lugging bags for myself, wife, and daughter on a recent trip to San Diego. One of the biggest challenge was to find space in the overhead bins for two standard carry on 22" wheelies.

We are thinking about getting a couple of the new Synapse 25 bags and am wondering if these would fit under the seat of the smaller Delta / United regional jets. We like the backpack versus travel bag idea for more comfortable carry during long airport jaunts. I realize we would lose some leg room, but am willing to sacrifice that for the ease of access to our stuff and going with the one bag philosophy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by martel View Post
    I am a complete newbie to the one bag travel idea and don't fly that often. What started me on the kick was lugging bags for myself, wife, and daughter on a recent trip to San Diego. One of the biggest challenge was to find space in the overhead bins for two standard carry on 22" wheelies.

We are thinking about getting a couple of the new Synapse 25 bags and am wondering if these would fit under the seat of the smaller Delta / United regional jets. We like the backpack versus travel bag idea for more comfortable carry during long airport jaunts. I realize we would lose some leg room, but am willing to sacrifice that for the ease of access to our stuff and going with the one bag philosophy.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Well I'm not sure many have tried this at this point as the first ones just shipped out recently. But I have a Smart Alec and it's the same volume and it does indeed fit under an airplane seat even when totally full. I think the Synapse might be slightly thicker, but I'm not sure. Either way I think it will fit without any serious problem.

For airplane and general travel use I think the Western Flyer is the way to go in this size class. The Synapse to me seems more of an "everyday" bag, although if you like backpacks it might work for you better than the Western Flyer.

and if you order the WF with backpack straps you get the best of both a carryon and ease of carry of a backpack!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Even an Aeronaut can fit under a 737-800 seat! Sorry the picture is a bit rubbish, it was taken with a Blackberry!

Name:  Aeronaut under seat.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  243.8 KB

Yes, my Smart Alec fits easily, and it is slightly bigger. Also, my daughter's Brain Bag also fits under the seat, and it is way bigger! Take care, LauraA
    "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive."
    LauraA

Well after a lot of thinking I just ordered two s25 (wife and myself) and s19 ( 5 yr old daughter). Also got some key straps, 3d cubes and mini pouches to round it all out. I prefer the backpacks for ease of carrying and am hoping to convince my wife to ditch her samsonite wheelie that is likely too big to carry on. So far we've done some car travel with inferior backpacks that's been good.

Looking forward to no longer worrying about overhead bin space and toting bulky luggage around airports etc....

Let the addiction begin.......

I have been putting my S25 under the seat in front of me. It is pretty full, but not overstuffed. It's a really fabulous bag!
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by martel View Post
    Looking forward to no longer worrying about overhead bin space and toting bulky luggage around airports etc....
    Congrats on the purchase! All it takes is the ability to grab your bag and breeze past the baggage claim to convert even the most stubborn bag-checkers... This is especially true if you have to make a connecting flight running through the terminal to get to the other gate.... Yes, the airline is supposed to make sure your checked baggage makes it onto the second flight, but sometimes they don't...

The other good thing about putting your bag at your feet is that you don't have to search for overhead compartment space, which is getting pretty scarce now that airlines are charging for checked bags. I've sometimes only found a spot to put my Tri-Star that was far away from my seat, so I end up stowing it under the seat in front of me.

Took the S25 (and Aeronaut) with me to Tokyo a few weeks ago via a new Delta 777. It was my first trip with the S25 (vs. my normal S19). The S25 was packed to the gills and I didn't really care too much for it under the seat. It just didn't fit that well, so next trip I'll try to cut down on its contents.

Martel: Glad to hear that family is open to using backpacks or other carryon type gear. In our family we have a rule: You pack it, you carry it. No relying on dad to schlep it especially when he's too much a gentleman to say no. We only help each other with placing and removing from overhead bins. This approach makes for more mindfulness when packing.

Took my S25 with me on my trip to Idaho & no issues fitting under the airplane seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Looks like it will all work! We fly regional jets out of MT so Im glad it will fit. Thank you to everyone for the help.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0