Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bchaplin

Thread: Aeronaut or Tristar for short woman on 6 week trip

Aeronaut or Tristar for short woman on 6 week trip

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums for a while and need your advice. I'm on the shorter side 5'4" and can't decide whether to purchase the Aeronaut or the Tri-star for our European trip. Am concerned that the Aeronaut may be too big or heavy for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I am 5 ft 2 in and the Aeronaut does get kind of heavy for me. It has a lot of space though, and I find it less fussy to pack since it can more easily fit odd-shaped objects. You could get it in dyneema to save weight.

The Western Flyer is my favorite bag to take when I have to do a lot of walking or public transiting. I would find it challenging to fit everything in that I need for a 6 week trip. The lighter packers on this forum will tell you that it's do-able, though, and it really depends on how lightly you're willing to pack.

Thanks, BC. I am a light packer and I'm afraid if I do get the Aeronaut I'll over pack I'm also trying to figure out how to carry a purse or day pack with an Aeronaut or Tri-star. I guess I could buy a SCB and carry that under the back pack straps.

If you are a light packer, i would get the wf. I am the same height as you and find it a more comfortable fit than the tristar. It also holds an incredible amount if required.

Are you going to be walking around all day with your bag, or just transporting it to a hotel every few days and leaving it there?

Thanks Jannilee, I'll look at the Western Flyer. Hadn't really considered it as it seemed smaller. BC- I will only be transporting my bag on the train and to the hotels.

Jannilee - why do you find the Tri-star uncomfortable?

Also, anyone have recommendations for a day bag for Europe? Not sure I need a pack per se. Just something big enough to hold a bottle of water and my wallet. I'm thinking a MCB.

It is a bit too long to sit comfortably. Also it probably had something to do with overpacking although i dont find the wf uncomfortable even when packed to the max as in this post:

"From Seattle to Victoria on the Victoria Clipper (great way to go btw – saw 2 pods of Orcas, dolphins, seals, sea lions and birds):
    3 pr pants
    4 ex officio tops including a hoodie
    5 other tops
    1 cardi
    pjs
    4 underwear
    5 4oz skeins wool
    1 pr shoes
    several partially completed mittens"

Where are you going in Europe? I use a pacsafe bag in high pickpocket areas. Otherwise the medium cafe bag sounds good. Are you also going to be carrying a camera,guidebook,jacket or sweater, hat? I always take a light shopping bag that folds up to almosy nothing. Comes in very handy.
    Last edited by jannilee; 04-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.

The Tristar or the Western Flyer should fit the bill, the choice of bag and fabric depends on your style of travel and the airline(s) you travel with.

If you use a northern American flagship airline and trains in Europe, you don't have to worry about weight so a Tristar or a Western Flyer in Ballistic nylon is your best bet.

Our very own Eric, on the forum, has made very comprehensive videos about Tom Bihn most popular travel bags.

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/custom...gs-review.html

It shows very well the minimal size difference between the Western Flyer and the Tristar. I have to confess that the first time I saw the Western Flyer on top of the Tristar, I could not believe how close in size they are to each other.

It seems to me that the only really big difference is the number of pockets.

As far as the size of a person is concerned, it makes a big difference if one has a longer torso or longer legs and even if one is a bit wide somewhere (I happen to have a wide and upturned seat, the Brain Bag fits me perfectly but one inch longer and I would not been able to use it)

As an EDC in Europe, the Medium Cafe Bag would indeed fit the bill.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    The size difference between the Western Flyer is 400 cubic inches/ 7 litres or about a fifth of the volume. It's amazing how much difference just one inch makes!

ceb
    The TriStar also is a three compartment bag vs the WF 2 compartment design. This allows for a better separation of "office" and "clothing" or different types of clothing.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

I'm 5'5", and a somewhat fit 120ish lbs. I made a video showing the maximum I could fit in the western flyer. It's the video on this page: Western Flyer - Carry-on travel bag can be used as a briefcase or backpack - TOM BIHN

It's a horrible video in every way, except that it shows you what a woman can pack in the bag.

I would not want to carry more that what I can get into the WF without a hip belt.

The amount of stuff shown in the video would fit better in the Tri-star.

An aeronaut is a very cool-looking bag, so if you're going that route, ensure that you do not overpack it, and use packing cubes in the centre so that things don't bunch up. The aeronaut seems to be better if you're packing more than one pair of shoes. Again, underpack this bag. I hear it holds it's shape well even when underpacked.

The duffel look of the aeronaut means it can be used in non-travel situations, so it might be more versatile than the WF or Tristar.

I liked the cute look of the WF so that's why I chose it.
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

@thisisme- Thanks for the video! I was impressed with how much can fit in the WF!

I have two questions after watching it: 1. do you have the WF with backpack straps or the rollaboard version? What size packing cube was the smaller one, the one that you used in the first compartment? Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0