Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By blackfungi
  • 4 Post By Seikoguy

Thread: How would I lock a Smart Alec backpack?

How would I lock a Smart Alec backpack?

This may have been asked before, but how would I be able to lock a Smart Alec backpack? Thanks, LauraA
    "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive."
    LauraA

No ideas on how to lock this backpack? Thanks, LauraA
    LauraA

LauraA, I don't have a Smart Alec but my strategy is to place the zippers close to each other and thread key straps or small locks thru the zipper pulls to secure them.

There is always one side pocket which is left but if you have the extra external pockets, their zippers can be secured to that side pocket zipper pulls.

You could also use a very thin chain or a length of paracord or shoelaces or a thin ribbon.

It depends on the locking security you wish to have.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.

try these babies :

Name:  800px-Cable_ties.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  73.6 KB
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

I use zip ties from Magellan's made specifically for traveling.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I used to carry a small supply of zip ties for this very purpose, but they were confiscated at Birmingham (England, not Alabama) airport in December as, apparently, they are a prohibited item in carry on luggage.

I guess the zip ties could work, but that would mean traveling with scissors, and using up a zip tie each time I need to get something out of my bag. I could use a luggage lock ( a thin cable type) and lock the two zipper pulls together. This would be as safe as a zip tie, because a would be thief would need scissors to get into the bag. I know that the bag itself could be stolen, but I'm just looking for a way to prevent someone from unzipping it while I wear it or while it is beside me in an airport or train station. I'm traveling this summer with my daughter and her family, and we are each taking just one small Tom Bihn backpack. This is how I always travel. We'll be going to several places in Europe as well as Tanzania. Thanks, LauraA
    LauraA

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Rather than scissors, you can use nail clippers.

I have reusable zip ties...
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

laura, maybe these things will do the trick. small and very useful, scroll down the page until you see the items.

look for POCKET SURVIVAL SAW or POCKET STRAIGHT RAZOR.

Survival Shop - KNIVES - CUTTING INSTRUMENTS
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

I would not take anything but nail clippers on an international trip.

Regulations change from month to month, country to country, airports to airports and even screener by screener.

If you carry any electronic, you may have to take it out in every stopping point; fetching a cutting implement, cut the zip tie, get the electronic, then do reverse, while trying to make a flight will get old really fast.

Especially if, at one stop, somebody decides to confiscate your cutting implement and/or your zip ties.

If you buy from the Parts Accessories the

3/4" Side-release Buckle, dual-adjust, complete: as used on TB sternum straps.

You can thread a length of ribbon, shoelace or even thin paracord into both sides of the strap then unclip it really easily at security.

As a bonus, fancier ribbon(s) can be bought at the destination(s) and presto brand new lightweight belts!

That idea was inspired by Dorayme shoes with interchangeable ribbons, which are a clever and, perfect travel light concept.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Another alternative:

Name:  zl-2.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  zl-16.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  161.3 KB

Name:  zl-14.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  242.8 KB

Name:  zl-12.JPG
Views: 684