Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By d.markwig

Thread: Deciding on a Tri-Star

Deciding on a Tri-Star

Hi there!

I've noticed that recently my usual business trips were about 2-4 days most of them in Europe only 2-3 times going to the US (I'm based in Heidelberg, Germany). Most often I decided to only take my old Timbuk2 messenger bag, fill it up with Laptop and some packing cubes and somehow manage to only travel with said bag and a Ristretto for iPad.

But as I'm getting old I want more comfort and solidity ... and thus decided that I need a Tri-Star for these travels (adding a wheeled suitcase for longer overseas trips).

Now I only have to decide on 2 things:

- what additional packing cubes (and the like) to get
    - what color combination to pick (even though I used to be the "all black" guy I think I'll go for either Aubergine/Wasabi or Forest/Ultra-violet!)

I'd be happy to get some recommendations for both areas ... and maybe some of you have the mentioned color combinations so they could post a photo?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Daniel.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Hi Daniel,

Good choice! The Tri-Star is a great bag. I'm glad you're thinking about colours as I always think that, when a company goes to all the bother of sourcing specially, custom dyed fabrics, and then people choose black, it's a shame.

As regards packing cubes, the 'set' of small, medium and large sounds good, but, either the packing cube shoulder bag or packing cube back pack increase your flexibility on your travels - I've used all of them myself. The PCSB replaces the small PC and the PCBP replaces the large one. In the middle, you can use a Brain Cell for ultimate computer protection, but remember when you go through security at an airport you need to take it out of the Brain Cell, whereas if you use a Tom Bihn Cache you can leave it in whilst it gets scanned.

Eric

Good point with the laptop case ... I currently have a Viper case for my MacBook Pro and I guess I'll just hold back my buying decision for this part of the equipment until I get a new company laptop by end of the year (I guess it'll be whatever MacBook Pro is available by then).

Also, I like the idea of re-using the packing cubes while on the road ... although I always carry either the Ristretto or maybe a new Small Cafe Bag, anyways.

Another thing: I think about also getting some Stuff Sacks for dirty laundry or even as shopping bags ... any recommendations here?

In terms of laundry, if you have a set of packing cubes, the small or medium can be repurposed for laundry. Equally, the packing cube backpack makes a great shopping bag!

I got a tri-star for Christmas and love it so far, although I have only really used it a couple times. A few notes:
    -The middle compartment is structured enough that if you have a decent laptop sleeve you should be able to just throw it in there. Personally I think the brain cell is overkill, especially if you are hauling a work laptop that would be easily replaced if it broke. If you go this route there will be some additional extra space in this pocket.
    -I got the "set" of S/M/L packing cubes, and they fit perfectly in the different pockets: L in the back, S & M in the divided front pocket
    -If you wanted to you could put two L cubes in the back compartment if they weren't too stuffed to separate different kinds of clothes
    -I plan to buy a packing cube shoulder bag to use instead of the small one. I want to use this to hold my "underseat" carry on items: a couple thin paperbacks, a kindle, ipad mini in a medium padded OP, and odds and ends like gum and snacks.
    -The size 4 (large) stuff sack is about the same size as the small packing cube and can fit in that spot in the bag
    -You could probably put the ristretto in the spot for the M cube if you wanted

I'm just uploading a video on the Tri-Star and Western Flyer on to YouTube as I type with the packing cubes and the packing cube shoulder bag. The Aeronaut Packing Cube Back Pack is on the Aeronaut video I posted earlier. With my link, it takes forever, so expect to see it in a couple of hours or so. I'll post a link in the Customer Videos section here.
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 04-18-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Okay, so I ordered a Tri-Star (aubergine/wasabi) together w/ some additional cubes and pouches.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

@Fat Crip: Great to see in your video how the Ristretto fits in there ... was kind of an additional incentive to go for the Tri-Star instead of the Western Flyer!