Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: is there any justification for a western flyer AND an aeronaut?

is there any justification for a western flyer AND an aeronaut?

Hey there,
    I don't post much here, but every now and then I check back to see what's going on over here.

I'm wondering if I should switch to an Aeronaut from my Western Flyer, or just have them both.
    Do any of you have a Western Flyer and an Aeronaut? What do you use each for?

I have been using my WF for 4 - 5 day excursions, once or twice a month, for the past 2 years. It has held up beautifully (although it doesn't really see the elements).

The only things the WF can't accommodate are:
    1. shoes. Yes, I could pack a pair, but I like to use one of the front pockets for toiletries and the other for socks/undies.
    2. towel. It's just too bulky. I always swim, so it's not something I can do without. Currently, I bring my swim stuff in a separate shop bag.

I'm wondering if the Aeronaut would accommodate 1. and 2. better. For example, could I put socks/undies in a stuff sack next to toiletries on one side of the aeronaut, and then shoes and towel on the other side?

One thing I really like about the WF is that it stands up and you can grab stuff out of it without unpacking it, so I guess that would be one of the trade offs to going with the Aeronaut (dang, I wish there were a good abbreviation for 'Aeronaut'!)

Thanks!
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

What about a "swimmer's towel"? I know folks swear by Packtowel, but I just use this smooth microfiber one we got when my son joined a competitive swim club-super thirsty, drys in moments, packs to the size of a hot dog (no bun or Chicago condiments).--better yet a snack size Ziploc can hold it all rolled up. --(much better image.)-I carry it in my coat pocket secured by a hair elastic. Aqua Sphere, it says.

Not that I would EVER try to dissuade you from buying another bag...or more accessories, for that matter. Because your goggles and towel and a tiny swim suit would fit nicely in a 3D clear cube with Ultraviolet dyneema, just sayin'.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    There's always room for more bags! Two Aeronauts, a Tri-Star and a Western Flyer and i'm just a beginner! Why lug an Aeronaut when a Western Flyer will carry all you need? Why carry a Western Flyer and an extra duffle when an Aeronaut could have held everything? Horses for courses

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
    Hey there,
    I don't post much here, but every now and then I check back to see what's going on over here.

I'm wondering if I should switch to an Aeronaut from my Western Flyer, or just have them both.
    Do any of you have a Western Flyer and an Aeronaut? What do you use each for?

I have been using my WF for 4 - 5 day excursions, once or twice a month, for the past 2 years. It has held up beautifully (although it doesn't really see the elements).

The only things the WF can't accommodate are:
    1. shoes. Yes, I could pack a pair, but I like to use one of the front pockets for toiletries and the other for socks/undies.
    2. towel. It's just too bulky. I always swim, so it's not something I can do without. Currently, I bring my swim stuff in a separate shop bag.

I'm wondering if the Aeronaut would accommodate 1. and 2. better. For example, could I put socks/undies in a stuff sack next to toiletries on one side of the aeronaut, and then shoes and towel on the other side?

One thing I really like about the WF is that it stands up and you can grab stuff out of it without unpacking it, so I guess that would be one of the trade offs to going with the Aeronaut (dang, I wish there were a good abbreviation for 'Aeronaut'!)

Thanks!
    hi thisisme!

i like using the aeronaut for vacations, specially when i'm not carrying a computer. it nicely accommodates 3-4 changes of clothes for two people, or 3-4 changes of bulkier clothes (in the winter) for one, along with toiletries and other accessories.

i mostly take my aeronaut when i travel to india, but i have gone there in a western flyer also.

i use the western flyer every day for going to the gym. i bring full size toiletries (a bottle of shampoo, a tall bottle of shower gel, a tall bottle of olive oil, and deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, facial lotion in the 3d clear organizer cube). on days i'm going to shave, i also bring my bottle of shaving cream, shaving scuttle, and razor - it's a bit of a squeeze on shaving days, but i make it work. i also have in there my gym shoes (on the other side of the divider).

i don't bring a towel to the gym, but if i had to, i would use one of those camping towels. i have used this on trips, and it's great! it doesn't take up a lot of room, and it's super absorbant!

i also use my western flyer for business trips - change of clothes and macbook pro in a cache in one compartment, and toiletries and accessories in the other compartment.

while the western flyer stands up for pulling stuff out, the aeronaut lies down for the same purpose. packing cubes are your friends for organizing stuff inside of the aeronaut - specially if you're packing clothes for more than one person inside of the aeronaut!
    -m

I am having bag lust, hence the need to post to the forum.
    I'll be receiving a tax refund soon, so maybe I'll splurge for a new bag then.
    Thanks for the replies!
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

thisisme, I just received my Aeronaut today. I have the same WF as you and have had it for about as long, though mine sees significantly less action. I haven't had an opportunity to carry mine yet, but I wanted it for those occasions when I am traveling for a little while longer than 4-5 days and I cannot wash clothing as frequently, or those times when I want to carry one bag for me and another person like my children, or DH. There are also times when I want to pack all three kid's clothing into one bag and I will still use the WF for me. Either way, I see use for it along with the WF. They are styled so differently, they would excel in different capacities.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

JLE
    Personally I think an Aeronaut plus a WF is the optimum TB travel bag wardrobe! The WF is great for, well, you already know what a great bag it is. I use mine for 1-3 night trips generally (always with a personal bag as well). The Aeronaut is just a terrific, versatile bag for longer trips, bulkier items and those trips where extra shoes are required. I find I get most use out of my Aeronaut for car trips (of any length). The Aeronaut definitely has Binn-physics. My main problem is overpacking it just because I can....

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    The Aeronaut definitely has Binn-physics.
    i like that - Binn-physics!
    -m

To be clear, will a pair of minimal, size 12 running shoes fit in HALF of the divided side, or do they require a full side of the WF?
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    To be clear, will a pair of minimal, size 12 running shoes fit in HALF of the divided side, or do they require a full side of the WF?
    i can't speak for a size 12, but a size 9.5 does!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i can't speak for a size 12, but a size 9.5 does!
    actually, yes for the size 12 - from the description of the western flyer -

"Either half of the divided front compartment can fit a pair of shoes Tom's (he wears size 12) personal Holy Grail in any travel bag."

actually, yes for the size 12 - from the description of the western flyer -

"Either half of the divided front compartment can fit a pair of shoes Tom's (he wears size 12) personal Holy Grail in any travel bag."
    I did see that in the description, but I wanted to hear a first-hand customer testimonial. Thanks!
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    I did see that in the description, but I wanted to hear a first-hand customer testimonial. Thanks!
    trust me - if it's there, it's correct. this isn't a misprint or anything like that.

also see the description for this image on the description page -

Name:  TB0950_28b.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  247.0 KB

"Western Flyer Packing Cube, Small, All Fabric (Size 12 Men's Shoes)"

here's another picture of the shoes -

Name:  TB0950_29b.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  142.5 KB

trust me - if it's there, it's correct. this isn't a misprint or anything like that.

also see the description for this image on the description page -

"Western Flyer Packing Cube, Small, All Fabric (Size 12 Men's Shoes)"
    Thanks, maverick! I've been on that page no less than 1000 times so not sure how I missed that!!

my shoe size is 11 and 11.5. Neither fit. In reality, shoes with elongated toes (like dress shoes) have longer length. My shoes are about 12.75 to 13 inches. The height of the bag is only 12. In fact, if you look at the pics posted by another user, you can see that they stick out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0