Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Confession: I don't think I *want* to one-bag it for business travel...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    I don't know... Now you're making me re-think the Aeronaut...
    You're welcome to order a few bags, experiment with packing them, and send back whichever (unused -- meaning, test them like you would a pair of shoes, or in other words, don't take the bags outside or actually use them on a trip or something) bag(s) don't work out. UPS Ground outbound shipping is a flat rate $10.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    That's the thing; it's capacious not voluminous!

Aeronaut might be better for swallowing up another bag. For example, I've seen on other threads that the Cadet 13/15 doesn't really fit into the middle of the tri-star comfortably.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    ScottE22, check your PM inbox. I'll be happy to let you try my TriStar, Western Flyer and/or Empire Builder for size over a pint of Dale's. Much easier when you get to see them up close and personal.
    Just saw this -- awesome idea.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The Aeronaut is great for bulky, odd-shaped things like running shoes. And, ScottE22, if you can restrain yourself from filling the Aeronaut just because you have the space, you can easily throw a Large Cafe bag or some other "on site" bag. Both the Tri Star and Aeronaut retain their shapes well, even when "underpacked," IMO.

You were wondering about carrying two bags: I have used both the Aeronaut and Tri Star in backpack mode and found the quite comfortable, even with a Large Cafe Bag slung crosswise and a baby strapped to my front

Good luck!

I'm going to take it slow this time and not travel with or remove the tags until I'm sure, but I just took Step One and ordered a black/wasabi Zephyr (with Absolute) and two mesh 3D organizers. I'm thinking if I can separate the stuff in the Snake Charmer into "stuff I need in the hotel for ME" (laptop charger, MiFi charger, Lightning charger) and "stuff for when I present" (various Lightning and Thunderbolt to VGA/HDMI/DVI* adapters) it might be a better fit than trying to squeeze the Snake Charmer into the Zephyr with my laptop.

I have plenty of other cables in my shipped Pelican cases that I can still make good use of the Snake Charmer. Besides... Can you have too many pouches?

I'll see how the Zephyr works with my daily carry and, since that is the bag I'm most certain of, I'll see how it works with my ancient Target/Eddie Bauer el cheapo rolling luggage and then make a decision on a travel bag from there. Hoping it's here by Monday because I hit the road Tuesday to Vegas for two nights.

* I have never seen a DVI cable in the wild but the day I don't bring it, it'll be the only option available...
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

ceb
    I completely agree with both of the above. When appropriate, one bagging is definitely the way to go. What I'm kind of learning is that, while an admirable goal, it's not always the "best fit" for every occasion.

Regarding wheeled luggage, it's not that I think there is more room, it's just that I have never been able to find the right way to have two bags hanging off my shoulders. I've done a backpack and cross-body with my Ristretto for 11" Air or my ID, and that's about the best I've done. I would consider a Tri-Star for this kind of arrangement in combination with a Zephyr, although I like what you said here...

Correct. For longer trips I sometimes use a roller as well and strap my computer bag to it - however, I frequently find myself using the TriStar only and either stick my Dell computer bag into the middle compartment or just hand carry it.

I'm thinking I could probably make this work with a Ristretto, Cadet 13/15, or even a Large Cafe Bag (which would give me flexibility to throw in my 11" or 13" Air in their respective Caches).

I'm definitely not thinking Aeronaut. That's likely way too big for my needs.
    With the exception of shoes, I can get more into the TriStar than the Aeronaut - to the point where my Aeronaut feels unloved. Make me an offer I can't refuse for my like new black/steel with the matching packing cubes if you decide to go that way.

I hardly ever take a second pair of shoes - my Rockport wingtips are fine for business wear and an evening outing or a walk in the park - but that is me. I could squeeze a pair of shoes into the TriStar but I like my bags lightly packed and shoes just make it look overstuffed.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    With the exception of shoes, I can get more into the TriStar than the Aeronaut
    Really? The Aeronaut is about a third bigger than the Tri-Star!

Taking Darcy's advice, at the 11th hour I called and added an Empire Builder to my order. It's only money, right?

I guess I'd hate to settle on a Zephyr for my daily carry without handling both bags first. The EB has so much more capacity but doesn't appear that much larger. On one hand, I'd hate to suffer from overpacking just because I have the space, on the the other hand, I'd hate to miss out on the flexibility of possibly doing one-nighters out of the Empire Builder if it's a reasonable daily carry bag.

Once I've got the daily carry thing settled, I'll move on to a travel bag that complements the setup. I've got that old 20" Target roller as well as an old 22" roller from Service Merchandise (remember them?). The 22" just feels huge, but it's carry-on legal as I just measured it last night.

What I'm really eyeing is the 20" Maxlite from Travelpro. If I'm going to carry two bags (which I am resigned to doing) I'm still unconvinced I want to be "wearing" two bags.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

For airports, yes, a wheeled bag + another bag that fits on top of it is definitely best!
    Because you're not carrying things, you sweat less, which means that you're more comfortable.

That's what I did with 2 kids on a trip to BC (canada): I used a briggs+riley 19" wheeled bag plus a WF on top. I can't even imagine traipsing through airports with all that weight on my back.

Another option from the one bag guy is to purchase a little cart for your soft bags. See: Business Travel Bags :: One Bag
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

There are really very few advantages to being a cripple, but there are some

Name:  Fat Crip in Alicante Airport.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  64.3 KB

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
    For airports, yes, a wheeled bag + another bag that fits on top of it is definitely best!
    Because you're not carrying things, you sweat less, which means that you're more comfortable.

That's what I did with 2 kids on a trip to BC (canada): I used a briggs+riley 19" wheeled bag plus a WF on top. I can't even imagine traipsing through airports with all that weight on my back.

Another option from the one bag guy is to purchase a little cart for your soft bags. See: Business Travel Bags :: One Bag
    hi thisisme!

like anything, i think there are pros and cons to the roll aboard and bags like the aeronaut, tri-star and western flyer. for me at least, i found that the pros of the latter group of bags exceed those of the roll aboard.

i've used a briggs roll aboard, and if i pack a bit of weight in there, i bear the weight on your forearm as i'm pulling the bag.

with the aeronaut, tri-star and western flyer carried as a backpack, the weight is spread across both my shoulders and my back.

i also have more "bag weight" that limits what i can pack inside because of weight limits that may get enforced by the airline.

because the aeronaut, tri-star and western flyer weigh far less, it allows me to carry far more in terms of what the airline will allow.

the other factor is that these bags will hold a great deal more than a similarly sized roll aboard.

if i have time, i like to go out into the city during a layover. whether that involves taking a train, a bus or a taxi, i inevitably come across some terrain that would not allow me to roll my roll aboard - meaning that i have to carry it. it may be uneven terrain, cobblestone streets, going up and down sidewalks, or going up and down stairs. with a bag on my back that becomes a seamless extension me, i can go anywhere easily.

i sweat easily, but i do okay with these bags on my back.

having said all of this, i see the case for the roll aboard. my dad is 75 years old, and it would not be practical for him to carry a bag on his back. he brings a carry-on just to hold all of his medication and a change of clothes. everything else gets checked.

as long as i'm physically able, i'd like to carry one of these bags on my back, along with a side effect or small cafe bag (which can, when needed, be tucked inside the bag on my back).

yes, I understand all your points, maverick. (Oh, and hi back :-))

I agree with you. Soft bags are way more versatile. For example, you can use them for...
    motorcycle trips, camping trips, trips where you are using public transit, the gym, day trips, trips on small planes, trips where you're moving from one place to another. Because of their versatility, they're more bang for your buck. I've had my bag for 3 years, and I have used it about 78 times, so that averages to ~$3/use. I've only used my roll-a-board ONCE, so that's about $275/use. So to me, soft bags are measurably more useful that rolling luggage, and that's why I love my WF.

There are two advantages to the roll-a-board (i've been thinking deeply about this :-):
    - it's easy to take with you when you are walking a long distance on a flat smooth surface.
    - it's easier to take with you if you are forced to bring 2 bag's worth of stuff with you. In this case, you can put some stuff in the rolling suitcase, and the rest of it in a soft bag on top.
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
    There are two advantages to the roll-a-board (i've been thinking deeply about this :-):
    - it's easy to take with you when you are walking a long distance on a flat smooth surface.
    - it's easier to take with you if you are forced to bring 2 bag's worth of stuff with you. In this case, you can put some stuff in the rolling suitcase, and the rest of it in a soft bag on top.
    hi thisisme!

indeed, if you're able to stay on flat smooth surfaces - which is generally the case inside of most airports - you can roll your bag the entire time.

i have carried more than one tom bihn travel bag at once. actually, i think i managed an aeronaut on one shoulder, a western flyer on another, and i'm not sure exactly where i put the synapse as i brought our luggage down from the hotel room to the lobby. i don't recommend that - get the others in your party to carry their load! certainly, two travel bags carried with an absolute shoulder, one on each shoulder, is doable. but you have to ask yourself what is a practical amount of weight for you to manage on your body. i personally prefer one of these bags, worn as a backpack - again, with a side effect or small cafe bag coming along for the ride. and i may even stuff the small cafe bag inside of the aeronaut if i'm walking a distance.

i see your point about slipping a bag like the western flyer on top of a roll aboard suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Just saw this -- awesome idea.
    +1 Dale's is delicious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0