Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How does the steel dyneema *really* look like?

How does the steel dyneema *really* look like?

I've seen a lot of pictures of bags with the Steel Dyneema, and they all seem to show a different shade to the fabric, so I'm unsure how it *really* looks like?

For example:
    Stock photo off the site

Compared to this

The first one looks lighter, whilst the second has a darker shade to it and it even looks shiny. Now it could just be the lighting and such, but then there's this one, and it seems to resemble the stock photo more:

And then there's this one I found on a thread in the forum, yet it looks way darker than the others:

There are other photos but I don't want to overload this thread with more of them..but I think you get the picture.

I placed my order for the Synapse 25 in Steel dyneema simply for aesthetic reasons, but I've been thinking about it a lot more, how I would prefer something a bit more discreet and am unsure how it might suit me. Since UPS cannot locate my shipment details, that means I've still got some time to think about it...

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    It generally looks darker in real life than when photographed with flash as the white lines reflect the flash. However, you should be aware that you are looking at two different cloths here. The earlier steel Dyneema/solar Synapse was in 200d Dyneema rather than the current 400d which is darker with bigger checks. I've not felt in any way overly conspicuous with my Tri-Star and Aeronaut in 400d Steel Dyneema.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    The earlier steel Dyneema/solar Synapse was in 200d Dyneema rather than the current 400d which is darker with bigger checks. I've not felt in any way overly conspicuous with my Tri-Star and Aeronaut in 400d Steel Dyneema.
    I didn't know that, thanks. I'm still set on my current fabric choice, but I think I'll still have a look around for some 400d pictures.

The only other colours I considered were Black or Navy, but they just seemed a bit too bland. I prefer a bag that looks discreet, but with a bit design to it too.

On my screen, the last photo you posted (bottom) is closest in shade to my Steel Dyneema Aeronaut and Tri-Star. I think screen resolution and setting has an affect on this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Hi fancypanda,

Fat Crip's right - the second photo is Synapse, which is in the lighter Dyneema. I've got newer bags with Steel lining, and the newer fabric is darker than the Synapse. The heavier fabric looks even darker as far as I can tell.

-n

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    On my screen, the last photo you posted (bottom) is closest in shade to my Steel Dyneema Aeronaut and Tri-Star. I think screen resolution and setting has an affect on this.
    Frank

Out of curiosity, why do you have two aeronauts and two tri-stars?

Thanks everyone.

I just remembered the previous topic I posted about Steel dyneema in this forum: Does the steel dyneema become dirty easily? and a member posted a comparison of the 200d and 400d, which gives some better perspective. Going by their photos, seems like the last image I posted resembles the 400d better than the others.

But then looking at the promotional video that was done for the Synapse 25, the Steel dyneema doesn't look as dark..I think I prefer the way it looks with the 200d, with that grey look about it.

Hmm now I'm unsure what to go with! :/ Now I'm wondering whether to go with Black or Navy...I don't like being so fussy over something as simple as the fabric colour, but since I can't physically see the bag myself, and since I intend on using it for years to come...*sigh* well it's nearly 1am here and I think I need to stop looking at all these photos of different colour combinations..
    Last edited by fancypanda; 04-13-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Usually people who have two or more of the same bags have them in different fabrics.

Frank II was using the Cordura Aeronaute and Tristar before their counterpart in Travel Dyneema were announced.

Travel Dyneema Tom Bihn Bags were created in response to European and Australian airlines drastic weight requirements.

I also have to admit that my Steel/Steel Tristar is probably going to be my staple travel bag. even domestically.

The joy of ultralight packing cannot be truly measured until one experience the freedom of carry on without the feeling of being a pack mule.
    As a bonus, I can slip my Tristar in the overhead all by myself.

With the help of fellow TB forum members, I was able to fit a decent and versatile wardrobe in both the Aeronaute and the Tristar for 6 or 7 kilos. 6 kg = 13.2 lbs/7 kg = 15.4 lbs

A far cry for the 30 pounds haul on my usual domestic Travel Bag, the Brain Bag, 30 lbs = 13.6 kg and it's 10 pounds travel companion the Large Cafe Bag. 10 lbs = 4.5 kg

In a puzzling twist the Aeronaute in Travel Dyneema held an almost identical wardrobe to the one I took in the Brain Bag except there were more layers as the Aeronaute in Travel Dyneema trip was in early spring and the Brain Bag trip in the middle of summer.

To answer your question about color, every Tom Bihn Bag fabric change color depending on light, if it is outdoors or in, what the owner or the person sitting next to the bag is wearing.

Ballistic and Dyneema twinkle lightly in the sun, it's stunning but can not be seen by a camera.

Steel Dyneema either in Everyday or Travel fabric is extremely understated, (this is what my navy, dark green, black and denim wearing husband uses)

Another good reason to have Travel Bags in both fabric is the need to sometimes, check a bag. Fatigue at the end of a trip, full overhead bins forcing a gate check, accumulation brought on by unbridled shopping spree, or one of a kind items acquisition such as tailored garments in London or Hong Kong or first class accessories in France or Italy.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks backpack. I'm not too concerned about how much lighter the 400d dyneema is since I rarely do any air travel myself (though I am expecting to go on a 3 week trip at the end of June).

Does anyone know whether the Tom Bihn company works on the weekend over there? Or if Darcy checks the forum on the weekend? I think I'll end up changing the fabric/colour combination.

What I did: my bag obsessed sons were making me crazy Should I get the Dyneema Synapse or the Black/Iberian? How Red is the Cardinal Ballistic? How Yellow or Green is Wasabi?

So I bought bunch of pouches and shopping bags- stuff we would use anyway, but in colors that stopped the endless nagging questions--"Do you think I would like x or y better?"

We are a larger than average family, so having a half dozen small clear pouches isn't unreasonable (and we could use about two dozen shop bags without even thinking too hard about it)-

The older of my bag obsessed boys is not a wasabi fan-now we know- but he thinks that his wasabi pouch will make an easy to see pencil bag in the brain bag he has his eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by matsui View Post
    Frank

Out of curiosity, why do you have two aeronauts and two tri-stars?
    Besides what Backpack said, I also review bags on my website. I can't review a bag unless I actually have it.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Besides what Backpack said, I also review bags on my website. I can't review a bag unless I actually have it.
    Frank - since you have both, which is your preference, the steel dyneema or the ballistic nylon? I am going to get a Tri-star but split between the two! (I already have a western flyer in ballistic nylon)

Quote Originally Posted by matsui View Post
    Frank - since you have both, which is your preference, the steel dyneema or the ballistic nylon? I am going to get a Tri-star but split between the two! (I already have a western flyer in ballistic nylon)
    It really doesn't matter which one I prefer. What matters is where and how you'll use the bag. What your color preference is, you work/play requirements, weight requirements,etc.

I second what Frank II says about personal preference.

Do you know if the airline you will be flying in June has weight requirement?

If you main mean of transportation is a car/rv with the occasional cruise or train trip, Ballistic Nylon is your best choice.

Email customer service today, the email will be read first thing Monday morning.

From the Online Orders page:

Last minute order change? Our shipping crew is happy to assist as long as your order hasn't already shipped. Email them: shipping@tombihn.com

It really doesn't matter which one I prefer. What matters is where and how you'll use the bag. What your color preference is, you work/play requirements, weight requirements,etc.
    It certainly does matter, depending on the reasons for your preferences. That is why we read forums and reviews etc to align our preferences with experiences of others and then see which (experiences and choices) are closer to our preferences. In terms of color for me its black vs steel dyneema. I travel in planes and travel mainly for business related trips. No specific weight requirements on airlines I travel most with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0