Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New logo text

New logo text

The logo tag on my brand MCB says "Made in U.S.A" instead of "Portable Culture". Haven't seen any pictures of this new logo elsewhere. Is it an export version (I live in Sweden).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik N View Post
    The logo tag on my brand MCB says "Made in U.S.A" instead of "Portable Culture". Haven't seen any pictures of this new logo elsewhere. Is it an export version (I live in Sweden).
    That's our newest label! You can see it in many of the Synapse 25 photos:

Name:  synapsenewlabel.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  40.2 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That's our newest label! You can see it in many of the Synapse 25 photos:

Name:  synapsenewlabel.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  40.2 KB
    Really like this! I'd much rather display a "made in USA" logo than some tagline that could just as well be from a cheesy brand using sweatshop labor.

I do like "portable culture" as it's catchy, but much prefer showing off some American pride.

Hey! I just notice this new tag on my SCB. I back ordered it and picked it up a week ago...cool! I like both, USA and Portable Culture...
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Rather sad to see "Portable Culture" go. I think it's cool.

(just came back from a weekend away anxious to check that my new Synapse19 has the "old" label .... yesssssss)
    List under construction ....

My March Delivery CP is "PC".
    Darcy likes this.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

I realize I'm digging up an old thread, but I had been wondering about the different TB logo tags. I have a number of organizer products with "Made in U.S.A." but I would much prefer the "Portable Culture" tags, especially on my PCSB's. When traveling outside the U.S., there are many places where it may not be the best idea advertise USA, even if it's just on a little label. My favorite tag on any of the products that I have is the Tri-Star tag.

My PCBP has the newer "Made in USA" tag, but my June delivered BN Aeronaut has the Portable Culture tag. I also prefer the Portable Culture tag, but that's probably because I'm not American (though I do work there quite often and spend many childhood years living in the US).

I don't think it's that big a deal when travelling abroad. It's not like it's a giant US flag coloured bag, and it's not even as if it is saying that you are from the US. You could be from anywhere and bought a Tom Bihn bag. If you are travelling somewhere generally unfriendly to Americans in the first place, put some gaffers tape over the logo (if you are worried about it), keep your passport well hidden, and pretend you're Canadian. Sounds good eh? Stupid hosers... I'm jonesing for a Timbit now.
    Last edited by itsablur; 08-29-2013 at 06:03 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Nli

Also concerned

One of the reasons I love TB is that they are Made in America but I, too, am concerned with stating that so obviously on bags which will be worn in other countries. Has anyone removed the labels from the steel Dyneema? Does doing so leave permanent damage or will the needle holes self-heal with time? Darcy? Could you comment?

Agree re: the TS label - it's clever!

Would be so nice to have label options rather than a set logo....or more subtle, smaller logo.

Small grumbles, Great products! Thanks!

I was wondering something similar, so perhaps Darcy could comment on my question as well. Most of the bags I ordered at the beginning of the summer had the "Portable Culture" label. The last couple bags I ordered have the "Made in the USA" label. Are they currently using both styles (and it is random) or have they recently changed to the USA label? (I greatly prefer the "Portable Culture" label btw)

NOTE: I just read the rest of the thread and I think I answered my own question. It looks like the "Portable Culture" label has been discontinued?

I really like the "Portable Culture" label, perhaps because I feel like visually it is better balanced from a design perspective. However, if it has to change, I think I would prefer "Made in Seattle" to "Made in the USA".
    Last edited by SaddleSC; 08-29-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Nli
    I second that. Prefer Portable Culture. Made in Seattle trumps Made in USA, IMHO. FWIW......

While I also personally prefer the “Portable Culture” logo I think the commitment to design and manufacture their products in the USA is important to Tom Bihn. I think the new logo allows them to acknowledge and celebrate that commitment which seems fitting.

As for the issues with international travel go I think in theory that could be an issue. When our corporate security guy presented Travel Safety Training he did encourage us to minimize our “Americanisms”. However, he also pointed out those folks wishing to target Americans can pretty much spot you anyway. I suspect at the end of the day a small bit of text on a product tag is not really going to be an issue. Now, if you’re actually a member of the CIA or something…

While we're on the subject of logos, when was this the main logo patch in use? Recently saw a bag for sale with this tag on it, and can't quite place its vintage. Bag looks to be in otherwise good shape.

Name:  $T2eC16RHJHUFFiYNdth9BSHoPvufDg~~60_57.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  213.1 KB
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Although it speeds by very quickly--and you have to be quick with hitting the play/pause button--you can see some of the logos in the video entitled, "Tom Bihn on the design + build process" starting at about 20 seconds. I went back and looked at I saw this as the logo in 1995. Also, a very early logo was a kewl drawing. Check it out!

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    While we're on the subject of logos, when was this the main logo patch in use? Recently saw a bag for sale with this tag on it, and can't quite place its vintage. Bag looks to be in otherwise good shape.
    Pre-2003 at least.

--Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0