Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lotuseater
  • 1 Post By pretzelb

Thread: Why does Dyneema always have lines?

Why does Dyneema always have lines?

As a long time owner of TB bags I have been interested in the ultra light weight options of the Dyneema bags but I could never get myself to like the colors. After a while I started to realize it wasn't the color so much but the stripes or lines you have with all the Dyneema. Is there a reason why they all have to have the grid pattern lines?
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

ceb
    Yes. Those threads do not accept dye.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

The Dyneema fibres are what give the fabric its tear strength. The grid pattern ensures that the nylon is reinforced in all directions. I have 210d Dyneema X grid backpacks from Mountain Laurel Designs and Ultralight Adventure Equipment (ULA) that are proven to be durable enough to withstand the rigours of a ~6 month, 2000+ mile thru-hike (Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail), carrying anywhere from 15-35lbs loads while managing to keep the pack weight very low. It's a fabric that is very well respected. But I do understand that the contrasting colours are not for everyone. As ceb mentions above, Dyneema fibres cannot be dyed, so unless you have an all-white pack (eg Kelty Cloud, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter - which use different fabrics BTW), Dyneema-reinforced nylon will always be two-tone.
    Darcy likes this.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

All my time here and all the bags with Dyneema I own and I never knew those lines where threads. Shame on me.
    Yam likes this.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Yes. Those threads do not accept dye.
    They do, however, accept Sharpie markers. If you're watching a movie marathon on TV, you can prop your TB Dyneema item on a little lapdesk and carefully draw over the white lines. I have a steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag that has a completely different look to it because I've shaded all the white lines with a black Sharpie. The lines don't look black; they just blend it with the steel color.

Your mileage may vary, but it's one DIY method.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Your mileage may vary, but it's one DIY method.
    Fine print announcement! It's worth noting that we don't really endorse this method: it will void the materials lifetime guarantee on the fabric. (If you do this to your bag and a buckle breaks by itself, we'll gladly replace the buckle, but if you decide the Sharpie method didn't turn out the way you had hoped or it actually damages the bag somehow, we won't be able to replace the bag.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Fine print announcement! It's worth noting that we don't really endorse this method: it will void the materials lifetime guarantee on the fabric. (If you do this to your bag and a buckle breaks by itself, we'll gladly replace the buckle, but if you decide the Sharpie method didn't turn out the way you had hoped or it actually damages the bag somehow, we won't be able to replace the bag.)
    The joys of customer service. You wouldn't have to make such a disclaimer if every customer had at least one functioning brain cell*.

Whatever happened to taking responsibility for something you did? If I decide to make a modification then I should be smart enough to realize that this is no longer the manufacturer's responsibility. Sorry for getting on my soapbox but I'm so glad I'm no longer in retail.

Lani - I'd really like to see a picture - please?

* the gray matter type braincell - not the TB Brain Cell
    Last edited by ceb; 04-11-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0