Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By lotuseater
  • 3 Post By lotuseater
  • 8 Post By lotuseater
  • 8 Post By Darcy

Thread: Does the steel dyneema become dirty easily?

Does the steel dyneema become dirty easily?

Just trying to decide which colour to go with for the Synapse 25. So far the Steel dyneema has stood out the most to me since it has a more contemporary look about it. But what I'm wondering is how easily the fabric can become dirty, owing to its lighter colour?

I don't expect to subject it to harsh use/conditions, just your every day stuff, maybe even putting it on the ground somewhere (well maybe not in the beginning since I'll very likely be taking extra care of it).

I initially was going to go with Navy/Iberian but the Steel/Steel combination grew on me and I really like it now.

I have a few steel Dyneema accessories and they seem clean as a whistle. I'd go with the Dyneema because it looks cool and it's lightweight. I also have a conifer Synapse, and was very careful with it at first, now I put it down on the floor of a bar (ew!) but despite that it's still clean!

Quote Originally Posted by fancypanda View Post
    ...what I'm wondering is how easily the fabric can become dirty, owing to its lighter colour?
    Steel dyneema is much darker than steel cordura and ballistic. The nylon is much closer to charcoal. In photos the white dyneema makes the bag look lighter in colour than it really is. Here's a close-up of it used in my pocket pouch:

Name:  2013-04-05 08.32.54.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  845.0 KB

In terms of showing marks, know that dyneema cannot be dyed, it will always stay white. The nylon can absorb colours, but I'd say it's much less likely to do so than cordura, as it can be wiped off really easily. I use 210d Dyneema X Grid in backpacking packs and it's proved to be both tough and unlikely to show dirt from being used in backcountry trips.
    Last edited by lotuseater; 04-05-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

My steel dyneema is not anywhere near as dark as the picture above. In that pic, it looks almost black to me. I have the steel dyneema PCSB and it is a nice light grey. I've schlepped it all over and haven't noticed it looking particular dirty or dingy. It wipes clean really easily as well.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I've used the Aeronaut and Tri-Star in steel Dyneema since the new year for 6 flights and six weeks travel without a single mark to show for any of it. Dirt seems to slide off

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    My steel dyneema is not anywhere near as dark as the picture above. In that pic, it looks almost black to me. I have the steel dyneema PCSB and it is a nice light grey. I've schlepped it all over and haven't noticed it looking particular dirty or dingy. It wipes clean really easily as well.
    I agree that the 200d dyneema/steel nylon used in the PCSB looks paler than the 400d dyneema/420d steel nylon introduced last autumn and used on the Synapse 25. The reflective nature of the 200d's X grid pattern, combined with closer spacing of the white dyneema thread both contribute to that visual impression. The 420d nylon reflects light in a subtly different way, so it appears darker in some lighting conditions. Below is a side-by-side comparison, 200d on the left, 400d/420d on the right. Whether my camera, file compression, forum software and the viewer's monitor can detect the different hues like the naked eye, I don't know, but it should give you some kind of idea:

Name:  2013-04-05 10.09.43-2.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  207.7 KB

Here's a three-way comparison of 200d dyneema/ steel nylon; 400d dyneema / 420d steel nylon, and ballistic steel (sorry, I don't have steel cordura), taken from three different angles to show how the light influences the appearance of each fabric:

Name:  2013-04-05 10.28.28.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  148.1 KB

Name:  2013-04-05 10.29.00.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  205.3 KB

Name:  2013-04-05 10.29.14.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  198.8 KB

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fancypanda View Post
    But what I'm wondering is how easily the fabric can become dirty, owing to its lighter colour?
    Name:  dirtysynapse.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  79.5 KB

When my Synapse gets this dirty -- I pretty much just brush the dirt off and it looks new again. That fabric is amazing at repelling dirt.

Purely hypothesizing here, but maybe what helps keep Dyneema/nylon bags from looking dirty is the fact that the Dyneema® yarns don’t accept dye (which is why they remain their natural white color.) Maybe that means they also don't accept dirt/get dirty as easily and if the white yarns remain white, that probably helps keep the whole bag look brighter/cleaner.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks again!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0