Can I wear Large Cafe Bag as Backwards Messenger Bag?

I think the answer is no, but can I wear a large cafe bag as a backwards messenger? Im looking for a bag that rides in front, but wont flop around. I travel often with my 2 dogs. Getting on a subway, I need to be able to sit down and focus on getting the dogs settled. A backpack means I cant sit down, nor can I access the contents with one hand (the other hand holds the leashes). But a regular cross body bag flops around and either hits the dogs or the ground when I help them up steep tram steps or pick up *ahem* deposits.

A sling would be great (rides on my back but can be spun around with one hand to sit or to get my wallet) but Tom doesnt make one. So I see the cafe bag has a waist strap. But I think if the strap goes around my waist, then the bag will ride under my bra and look bizarre. If I keep the bag on my hip, then the strap will go around my butt and feel bizarre. Im out of luck, right?

Volunteer Moderator
    hi k9tb!

what if you wear the large cafe bag in the front, and slip the waist strap through a belt loop on the back of your pants right before fastening it?

others can speak to whether the bag will ride under your bra, but perhaps it won't if the shoulder strap is adjusted so that is long enough?

I've done something like that before when I wanted to use my Imago while also carrying my Tri-Star as a backpack. Basically used a belt to anchor the Imago in front. It will work with the Cafe Bag too. I used two TB waist straps to make a full belt and just clasped it around my waist and buckled it in the front of the bag under the flap so it didn't show. The bag sits just the slightest bit off-center because I'm still carrying it as a messenger bag but it worked fine. Lift the flap up and pop the belt open when done. Any belt would work, but the TB straps match and I had them so it was an easy fix. Ends up like a very large Side Effect bag.

I do something similar to Kinsale. Normally worn cross-body, the bag hits at my hip. But when I ride my bike, I loop the waist strap through the shoulder strap before buckling, effectively shortening the strap in proportion to my body so that the waist strap is actually at my waist. But, I've never bothered to see what that looks like... Let me go run an experiement

ok, if I do my normal loop waist through shoulder strap so that the waist strap is at the waist (but the shoulder shortened so as not to fall off), but bring the bag to the front instead of back, the top of the bag is under breastline. Basically, if you were to put your arms at resting height just a touch lower than where you would cross your arms, that's how high it goes (a nice resting height on the arm under the boobs). I think the bag placement does look a bit goofy, but I'm also large chested. I've found that the Absolute strap is grippy enough that the if I put the bag at a touch above hip height (middle of bag at hip), the bag will stay slung behind me even when I lean over. YMMV. Hope that helps!

Good ideas! Thanks, maverick, Kinsale and earth5! Earth5, a very large Side Effect is a good image of what I am trying to do.

As I live in Germany where dogs are welcome in most stores and on public transport, this problem comes up more than you might think.

I'll play around with these suggestions!
    Last edited by K9TB; 04-02-2013 at 02:31 AM.

When we travel, I often wear the LCB like a sling bag. I just tighten the strap up so it rides up on my back and doesn't flop around. I would imagine you could do the same thing with it in front. I use the Q-AM strap without the waist strap. I think you'd have to play around with the placement to see what feels good to you. I think it is definitely doable.