Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JLE

Thread: Upgrading from Western Flyer to TriStar. Question on cubes.

Upgrading from Western Flyer to TriStar. Question on cubes.

I have been following forum for a while but only today registered. Wonder if folks can help me here. I have a Western Flyer and wish to also get a Tri-Star. Most of my travel is work related so I often pack a suit in my Western Flyer and have a laptop so for longer international trips sometimes I need to carry the laptop separately. I am looking to a tri-star to avoid having to carry an extra bag for trips more than 3 days. I will still use the WF for shorter trips.

My question is with regards to packing cubes. I have currently one large and two small WF cubes and also use an Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder 18 for my shirts. If I buy a Tri-star what cubes should I get? Can any of the cubes I already have double for both the WF and Tri-star or do I need a fulll separate set for the Tri-Star?

Thanks

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by matsui View Post
    I have been following forum for a while but only today registered. Wonder if folks can help me here. I have a Western Flyer and wish to also get a Tri-Star. Most of my travel is work related so I often pack a suit in my Western Flyer and have a laptop so for longer international trips sometimes I need to carry the laptop separately. I am looking to a tri-star to avoid having to carry an extra bag for trips more than 3 days. I will still use the WF for shorter trips.

My question is with regards to packing cubes. I have currently one large and two small WF cubes and also use an Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder 18 for my shirts. If I buy a Tri-star what cubes should I get? Can any of the cubes I already have double for both the WF and Tri-star or do I need a fulll separate set for the Tri-Star?

Thanks
    Welcome! You can use the WF packing cubes, but the advantage of going with the Tri Star cubes is that they are sized to maximise efficient use of the space inside each compartment. IME the key to avoiding The Bulge in a TS is to pack everything really flat and make sure all the space to the edges of each compartment is used.

(However, speaking personally, the WF packing cubes are my favourite (they are just the right size for the way I fold my clothes), so I use them in all sorts of bags.)
    Darcy likes this.

Thanks

Assuming I got the packing cube shoulder bag, which other cubes do you reckon I should get for a tristar? Where in the tristar would I fit the two small WF cubes?

I am thinking of getting the dyneema TS (I have a black/steel WF) but cant make up my mind on its look since my travel is mostly work related.

You could fit the two small cubes in the front (divided) compartment of the TS, or one small cube with the PCSB. Actually, they'd fit side-by-side in any compartment. The Eagle Creek 18 sleeve would fit well in the middle or rear compartment (I think, but cannot confirm, that you could get a lightly-packed EC 18 into the middle compartment even with a slim laptop in there). When I got my TS, I also got a PCBP, which is handy because it also fits in the WF. With light loads, it's perfectly acceptable as a backpack, and I love that it can do double duty. You may not need two convertible packing cube options, though. Finally, I've used the WF large cube in the TS and it worked great. There was a little bit of space on one side since the WF cube is definitely smaller, but that didn't bother me much. As JLE suggests, packing really flat is the key.

I bought the Steel Dyneema TS and I think it would be fine for work-related travel. It's much darker in real life, and I think the structure of the bag keeps it from looking too outdoorsy. If you're planning to use the TS as a travel bag/briefcase, I do imagine that black would be a safer choice. I guess it just depends on the conservatism of your profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    You could fit the two small cubes in the front (divided) compartment of the TS, or one small cube with the PCSB. Actually, they'd fit side-by-side in any compartment. The Eagle Creek 18 sleeve would fit well in the middle or rear compartment (I think, but cannot confirm, that you could get a lightly-packed EC 18 into the middle compartment even with a slim laptop in there). When I got my TS, I also got a PCBP, which is handy because it also fits in the WF. With light loads, it's perfectly acceptable as a backpack, and I love that it can do double duty. You may not need two convertible packing cube options, though. Finally, I've used the WF large cube in the TS and it worked great. There was a little bit of space on one side since the WF cube is definitely smaller, but that didn't bother me much. As JLE suggests, packing really flat is the key.

I bought the Steel Dyneema TS and I think it would be fine for work-related travel. It's much darker in real life, and I think the structure of the bag keeps it from looking too outdoorsy. If you're planning to use the TS as a travel bag/briefcase, I do imagine that black would be a safer choice. I guess it just depends on the conservatism of your profession.
    Thanks. Very helpful. Seems like me you bought your TS after WF? Why did you chose to get the TS? I dont need it as a brief case. I practically never use my WF as a briefcase anyway. Good to hear the steel dyneema is compatible with business trips. I am a physician by profession and trips mainly for medical conferences. So did you buy any additional cubes when you got your TS?

I bought the TS so I could one-bag it for real on longer trips and trips where I needed to take my computer, much like you. If I wanted to bring a pair of shoes, I was kind of out of luck with the WF if I also needed my laptop. That said, the WF works well for me for weekend trips, and for those longer trips where I don't need a laptop or if I'm carrying it separately.

I bought a Packing Cube Backpack with the TS, but otherwise I use my WF cubes.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0