Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 5 Post By Darcy

Thread: sticky strap.

sticky strap.

i have a backpack and one strap is not pulling as smoothly as the other strap. upon closer look it looks like that for some weird reason the sticky strap has somehow expanded in width and thereby causing friction as you are pulling the strap going through the buckle or....the buckle has bent and is causing the buckle to squeeze against the side of the strap. you can see that on one side of the strap that it is rolled up against the buckle and there is wear visible due to the friction. i don't think that the shape of the buckle has changed, otherwise the plastic would have snapped. it must be the strap. what's going on?

i am sure that tom bihn uses a certain width of straps on their buckles for the backpacks. i am afraid that over time that the strap will fray due to the pulling of the straps.

i hope someone can comment on this problem.

thanks. maybe a photo would help?

b.f..
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    maybe a photo would help?
    Hmm -- yes, a photo would be a huge help! Also, which backpack are you speaking of?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

it's a synapse from perhaps 2 years ago.

i will try to take a photo.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

so...here is the photo of the strap and buckle without the problem, note the sides of the strap, nothing rolling up against the buckle :

Name:  8543536806_daa6908a24_c.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  223.8 KB

and here is the photo of the sticky strap, note the side of the strip going up against the wall of the buckle, it's look like it has a fuzzy side :

Name:  8543546770_074f180eb1_c.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  271.9 KB

and another shot in case the one above is unclear, sorry for the out of focus shot :

Name:  8543541908_57b5a7db9f_c.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  257.5 KB

so with the faulty buckle, i really have to pull the strap whereas the other strap and buckle there is just pure smoothness, no friction of the strap against the sides of the buckle.

ceb
    You'll want to send these photos to TB customer service. In addition, you should measure the two straps as well as the "buckles" to determine where the issue lies - or did the strap just get a bit "sideways" and was damaged that way?
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Thanks for the photos, blackfungi -- it does look like your Synapse might have a piece of webbing that's slightly too wide. We can send you a prepaid return label so that we can repair your bag in-house or, if more convenient for you and you have someone locally -- say, a shoe repair place -- who can help you with this, we can send you a piece of pre-cut replacement webbing.

Send us an email -- customerservice@tombihn.com -- and let us know which solution you'd prefer. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    dorayme likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

darcy, thanks for the offer but it's okay. i can live with this problem. i will wait for the bigger synapse and then retire this bag to the basement or give it to my daughter as a schoolbag.

darcy, thanks for the offer but it's okay. i can live with this problem. i will wait for the bigger synapse and then retire this bag to the basement or give it to my daughter as a schoolbag.
    Alright, but FYI, the offer still stands -- forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Alright, but FYI, the offer still stands -- forever.
    Darcy, that is perhaps the most romantic thing I have ever heard a company rep say. Seriously, I teared up.

Lomo

Quote Originally Posted by lomo View Post
    Darcy, that is perhaps the most romantic thing I have ever heard a company rep say. Seriously, I teared up.

Lomo
    Aw, geez. It's just the right thing to do!

i think what we need to do here is to have the buckle sown at an angle and not straight along the padding. i can see my buckle pulling at an angle as i am pulling my straps tighly against my body, right underneath my armpits. this is why, i think, the strap is going up against the side of the buckle. i hope you know that i am trying to say here. it is kinda like photo number 3 where you can see the buckle is at an angle relative to the padding. so photo number 1 would be the normal position and photo number 3 is the position of the buckle as you have your bag strapped tightly onto to your body and in this case, i can really feel the straps right underneath my armpits. i just like my bags very securely on me.

i just like my bags very securely on me.
    Hmm: we'll need to look further into this phenomenon. It might be that you aren't wearing the bag the way we intended it to be worn? Will let you know what we find out.

i took a look at the buckle when i had the bag all strapped up and the tension of the strap causes the buckle to be angled and thus the strap is forced to move against the buckle as you are pulling the strap in and out of the strap.

this could be totally nothing of course and i am just being too anally retentive.

i took a look at the buckle when i had the bag all strapped up and the tension of the strap causes the buckle to be angled and thus the strap is forced to move against the buckle as you are pulling the strap in and out of the strap.

this could be totally nothing of course and i am just being too anally retentive.
    Hmm: any way a friend could take a photo of you wearing the bag? That'd help us figure out what's going on here.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0