Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jannilee
  • 1 Post By aiethabell

Thread: Aeronaut PCBP Question

Aeronaut PCBP Question

OK, I have potentially dumb question for Aeronaut owners.

I got a Dyneema Aeronaut for a couple of trips I have coming up that I don't want to stretch my TriStar to do.

I got one of the PCBP for the Aeronaut. I love the format and it is actually more useful as a backpack than the Tristar version...

...but here is my dumb question. Does anybody out there that uses it actually invert it for use as a packing cube? The zippered pocket at the bottom seems to make this more awkward than on the Tristar PCBP. Am I missing something? Do most people not invert it?

So sorry to be a dunderhead!

So how are you going to find out if people invert the pcbp and use it as a packing cube if you don't ask? I have the WF/TS version and haven't had much chance to travel with it, so I can't answer your question. It does hold the vertical Freudian Slip nicely, though.

I use it both ways, but mostly inverted while in the aeronaut unless the pocket baffles are out where I will use the small pocket for easily lost but not readily needed items. Also you might notice that you can stuff it all in the smaller bottom pocket when you aren't using it, there is a reversible zipper on that pocket too. It makes for a tidy, albeit loosely packed package.

I have packed mine not reversing it but it might change when I do my multiple weeks and lightweight regulation airline packing.

I just want to keep the outside of the bag the outside and not fear packing something clean into a reversed Packing Cube which I forgot got into contact with something slightly dusty or full of germs (the later being invisible).

My Steel Packing Cube Backpack performed the lightweight everyday backpack function in summer, which meant getting in contact with shopping carts full of heat activated germs etc...
    Last edited by backpack; 03-09-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I have packed mine not reversing it but it might change when I do my multiple weeks and lightweight regulation airline packing.

I just want to keep the outside of the bag the outside and not fear packing something clean into a reversed Packing Cube which I forgot got into contact with something slightly dusty or full of germs (the later being invisible).

My Steel Packing Cube Backpack performed the lightweight everyday backpack function in summer, which meant getting in contact with shopping carts full of heat activated germs etc...
    eek!

..... < dots added simply to make post long enough for forum to accept .... although I guess now it's plenty long enough....... nm.
    List under construction ....

A healthy dose of germs is good for you ... Keeps the immune system strong!

I usually invert mine for my Aeronaut, and hide my extra meds, my jewelry, and anything else I don't want TSA messing with in the now-inside bottom bag pocket. I put an old NON-TSA lock on it so they have to ask me to unlock ut. I usually want to know why! I'm on some controlled-restricted meds which sell for a pretty penny on the market. I need those to live and function as painlessly as possible, not to enrich someone's thieving pockets.

As far as getting it gross and grody goes, putting it in a 2-gal ziploc bag with a small spritz of shampoo fixes that. If washed the night before and hung in front of the a/c vent, it's good to go. Actually, unless I've gone to visit family, my clothes are dirty by this point. If I'm headed home, grody clothes can go in the grody cube, and I'll wash rhe lot when I get home.
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    A healthy dose of germs is good for you ... Keeps the immune system strong!
    It was southern summers and I usually put my bags on the baby seats.

I though nothing of it until I saw one of those fight the germs shows which showed that most of those seats have "matter", in the south, babies don't wear much...

I am now into the habit of using the stores free alcoohol wipes... thoroughly.

One more question about the Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack -- how does it compare to the regular large packing cube when used as a packing cube? Is it close to the same overall shape and capacity, or is it somewhat different?

I'm probably going to order one soon. As I re-examine my travel needs, I'm shocked I don't own one already; it just makes so much sense. (Though I purchased my Aeronaut and packing cubes before the backpack version existed.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0