Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Do you have an Imago? Thinking of getting one.

I'd like to know what you like or dislike about the bag?

I am looking for a brief-type bag that in the range of 14x 12x 6 for times as an alternate to my Synapse. love my Synapse but the Olive green isn't exactly for some of the business circles I travel in. I like the ID but it's a bit too big for my needs. The Cadet appears to be too thin. I really like the design of the co-pilot but my Lenovo X220 is 12 1/2 wide and would be a rather tight fit at best. (Are we getting into a Goldilocks an area here?)

As an alternative I am thinking of the Imago but a bit unsure If it will fit my needs. Here is what I plan to carry:

- Lenovo X220 with thin shell padding
    - 1 or 2 notebooks (9 x 12 max)
    - I am deaf with a cochlear implant and hearing aid. I have a mini dyneema pouch& mini padded pouch for these
    - mini dyneema pouch with pen and lead refills and thumb drives
    - glasses, pair of glasses and sunglasses (one two be stored in a side pouch, the other on my head) max length x width 5 1/3 x 1 1/3
    - maybe a thin book or a couple sandwich bags with lunch

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

I have an Imago in gray ballistic/cork/wasabi. I like it very much but I am not sure I'd call it 'professional'. Guess it depends on where you work. I'm in academia, and it isn't an issue. Anyway I love mine.

It can hold a fair amount but feels a little uncomfortable to carry if overstuffed. (By overstuffed, I mean if I pack so much into it that it becomes rounded instead of being flat.) I am not sure how it would fit your laptop and notebooks, along with a book and lunch. Probably it would be manageable but without seeing these things it's hard to tell. You might take a look at some of the larger bags too.

Pros: The little front pockets are very convenient for holding a train pass or other items I need to quickly access. Its horizontal orientation makes it very easy to find things. Cons: I miss having a dedicated space for a water bottle. And from a security standpoint, I would prefer it had a zipper at the top.

Personally I tend to use it for a while, develop a sore shoulder from carrying it (as I'm prone to shoulder and neck tightness), and then switch to my Synapse or a small bag A few months will go by and I will rediscover the Imago and start using it again, beginning the cycle anew.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.

I own an Imago and right now I am using it for class. I can carry a 1" 3-ring binder, a legal pad and a pencil pouch in one of the pockets comfortably. I can fit a small water bottle in between the pockets. I might be able to include a netbook/mini but it would be a tight fit. I don't think the Imago is big enough to hold what's on your list. Have you looked at the Zephyr?

JLE
    I have a black/black/steel Imago which I use for casual travel and occasionally as a casual laptop bag. I think it is too casual for some professional environments (I am a lawyer and company director) but looks pretty cool in the right setting. I agree you might find it a tight fit for your needs (I have a 11" MBA).

I agree that the lack of a zip closure is a slight disadvantage from a security perspective especially when travelling; I deal with this by tethering OPs inside the bag.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I'll wait and see if the rumored Pilot appears.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0