Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nukediver
  • 1 Post By Shiva
  • 1 Post By autolycus

Thread: Synapse and what organizers and Dyneema stain resistance?

Synapse and what organizers and Dyneema stain resistance?

My wife and I will both be getting Synapse bags this spring for traveling, but I had a few questions. One of the main reasons we picked the Synapse was for the organization but we we're wondering what people have found for small organizers that work well? Small stuff that I'd feel better if it was clipped into the main pack portion, like memory cards or jewelery and such. We don't have a lot of stuff like that, but I'm reserving the outside pockets for pens and such that are easily replaced and not expensive. I've found I prefer to have small lights and such in a small pouch rather than loose in an outside pocket.

I had actually considered the Smart Alec, but I'm concerned it won't fit the personal item profile as easily, as we plan to travel with a Synapse and Aeronaut each. My other thought was a SA and a Co-Pilot but I'm not a fan of single straps and it needs to fit my compact DSLR.

I'll pick up a few retainer straps as well.

Also, how does Dyneema clean up? Does it hold and show the dirt? Most all of my other stuff from makers like Kifaru or Mystery Ranch is all 500 or 1000D.

Quick packing list covering the main items.
    Canon Rebel DSLR with 24-70 2.8 L lens, with hood
    P&S camera
    Chargers
    Phone
    Headphones
    Jacket
    Hat & Gloves
    Mac Book Air, maybe, primarily for photo storage and collection from travel partners
    Keys
    Pens and notepad
    Water bottle, 20oz
    First Aid Kit
    Flash light and batteries
    2-4 SD cards and flash drive
    Sunglasses

Thanks!
    Last edited by Riley; 02-17-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Hi @Riley. I think your choice of the Synapse is excellent. You are going to LOVE this little backpack that seems to have an almost endless capacity. From your list above, everything should fit with plenty of room to spare. I have both the Synapse and the Smart Alec, and have traveled with each of them along with an Aeronaut. I found that it was a bit awkward to juggle the bigger Smart Alec with the Aeronaut, but things worked out much better when I used the Synapse instead (plus it works better as a "personal item").

I do exactly what you propose above - clip all my "valuable" items on the inside of the bag. I use a variety of TB Organizer Pouches (OPs), and they work beautifully. The Dyneema pouches (and Synapse) I own show no signs of wear or stains (even on the Solar), and I'm not exactly gentle with them. The beauty of the OPs is that there are soooo many to choose from. I have a few medium clear, a few small padded (for SD cards), a variety of colorful Dyneema, and a large one for documents. I also have a cork clear organizer wallet which can also be clipped into the bag. I think if you were to ask any forum member, they would all say that you can't go wrong with a variety of OPs.

Hi Riley: I agree with Nukediver. the Synapse is very versatile and holds more than you think. It fits everywhere, and passes far more easily even fully loaded than a lightly loaded smart alec. It will also hold a packing cube shoulder bag or similar size packing cube. On a recent trip, I had it chock full with MacBook Air, about 6 different small and mini pouches with stuff including jewelry, a small packing cube packed with stuff, and assorted odds and ends and it all worked. The pouches are great; and I tend to hang them with a small key strap to the very bottom of the bag for cash and cards.

Hi guys! I also have a question. I am awaiting my cardinal/steel aeronaut along with a bunch of packing cubes and a backpack packing cube as well. How can you comfortably carry the Aeronaut and the Synapse (I love my blue/solar) since both are backpacks. I would imagine I would want to carry the Aeronaut in back pack mode because of the weight of the case. I do have an absolute strap, but this would be good for shorter distances only. Thanks for any advise. PS My Synapse seems to do very well...but it does like to gather puppy hair....I have two big guys

Quote Originally Posted by Anniegill View Post
    Hi guys! I also have a question. I am awaiting my cardinal/steel aeronaut along with a bunch of packing cubes and a backpack packing cube as well. How can you comfortably carry the Aeronaut and the Synapse (I love my blue/solar) since both are backpacks. I would imagine I would want to carry the Aeronaut in back pack mode because of the weight of the case. I do have an absolute strap, but this would be good for shorter distances only. Thanks for any advise. PS My Synapse seems to do very well...but it does like to gather puppy hair....I have two big guys
    If you're going to carry both as backpacks, put the aeronaut on your back first, then put your synapse on "backward" so that it's actually on your chest, rather than your back. It will take a very small effort to keep the synapse from sliding off, but just keep your shoulders wide and not slumping forward, and you should be fine.

For moderate distances, you can use the absolute strap to carry you aeronaut with the strap over one shoulder and diagonally across your back like a messenger bag that you're getting something out of. If you do that again put the aeronaut on first, then the synapse. Also, if you do that, you may want to shorten up the absolute strap so that the aeronaut is mostly in front of your torso, rather than banging into you legs with every stride. You might be able to get away with doing somewhat of the opposite and having the strap a little longer so that the aeronaut hangs to your side and below the backpack. I wouldn't do that for too long a distance unless the aeronaut is lightly filled--much more than getting into or out of an airport--though because the aeronaut will definitely affect your stride.

And make sure to practice at home so you know how long to have the strap in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    If you're going to carry both as backpacks, put the aeronaut on your back first, then put your synapse on "backward" so that it's actually on your chest, rather than your back. It will take a very small effort to keep the synapse from sliding off, but just keep your shoulders wide and not slumping forward, and you should be fine.

For moderate distances, you can use the absolute strap to carry you aeronaut with the strap over one shoulder and diagonally across your back like a messenger bag that you're getting something out of. If you do that again put the aeronaut on first, then the synapse. Also, if you do that, you may want to shorten up the absolute strap so that the aeronaut is mostly in front of your torso, rather than banging into you legs with every stride. You might be able to get away with doing somewhat of the opposite and having the strap a little longer so that the aeronaut hangs to your side and below the backpack. I wouldn't do that for too long a distance unless the aeronaut is lightly filled--much more than getting into or out of an airport--though because the aeronaut will definitely affect your stride.

And make sure to practice at home so you know how long to have the strap in advance.
    Thanks Autolycus! I will try both of your suggestions!! I can't wait for my TB shipment in early March, when all the back ordered items will be finished by the Seattle Pro's!

Is this comfortable? Moderately comfortable? I'm thinking about this combo for a RTW trip...

Quote Originally Posted by julawils View Post
    Is this comfortable? Moderately comfortable? I'm thinking about this combo for a RTW trip...
    I have only carried both for fairly short distances and have been fine with the synapse on my back and the aeronaut just on one shoulder, so I think any of the methods I suggested are really easy. But... I tend to be stubborn and carry more than I really should.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0