Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By drbobguy

Thread: Is the Utility Strap the same as the one that comes with the Guardian Light?

Is the Utility Strap the same as the one that comes with the Guardian Light?

Does anyone know if the new Utility Strap is the same as the one that comes with the Guardian Dual Function Light?

If not, does the Guardian Light fit on the new Utility Strap? I ask because I have the Guardian light but I don't have the lanyard that comes with it.

Thanks!

No it's not the same. It's the same width as the normal keychain straps, just at one end it has a rectangular piece of plastic instead of a clip. The guardian light strap is wider and the clip is beefier.

I got one the early versions of this to test. I must say it does work well for items with pocket clips. I tried it with a variety (~15) of pocket knives and it worked on all but one. It also worked great for the few flashlights I have.

But in practice I was traveling with it for a few weeks and when traveling by air I only carry-on, which means no knife, and only a tiny photon keychain light.

So what I used it for was as a way to extend the o-rings in TB bags. It was excellent in this role. One of the things I've never understood is the keychain straps have two clips (one on each end), so if you clip a keychain strap to an o-ring then it's very ineffective to clip the other end to a TB organizer pouch (you have to clip two clips together). It's doable, but not optimal.

The utility strap solves this problem. I used a clear organizer wallet clipped to it, which was very handy as I could pull it fully out of my bag, but still have it attached nicely.

Thanks for the info. It's too bad that it won't work with the Guardian light.

I find that the accessories, things like key straps or utility straps, may be ordered for one use but end up being used for many other ones. I ordered a utility strap thinking I'd clip my Leatherman to it but I like your idea of using it to extend the o-rings. Now I wish I had ordered a few!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by cromulent View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's too bad that it won't work with the Guardian light.
    Well I can't say for sure if it does or doesn't work with the guardian light, as I don't have one. But it's definitely not an identical strap, you can tell that just from pictures/videos.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0