Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 2 Post By BrianI
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 4 Post By BrianI
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip

Thread: A Question About Volume

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills

A Question About Volume

If a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is 300x200x80mm and its volume is 4.5ltr (about right allowing for curved corners) then how can a Small Café Bag of 190x280x75mm hold 6ltr? Is it wrong, or does the 'ASTM method' have rules that allow for things stuffed under the flap etc.? I only ask because I've found the PBSB holds everything I need for a day out (passport, cash, TB 'suprise' card wallet, sunnies, iPhone, lip balm, Canon G10 camera, kindle), but it's maybe not smart enough/robust enough to become my EDC bag. So I was looking for something the same 4.5ltr size. The SCB looks at first to be slightly smaller (maybe too small?), but, apparently, it holds one third more! I don't know whether the term T.A.R.D.I.S. has any cultural reference in the former colonies, but Brits will understand it!
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 01-23-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    JonP likes this.

Of course T.A.R.D.I.S. means something out here, across the pond. It's U.N.I.T. that gets little recognition.
    Fat Crip and JonP like this.

You mean Brigadier Leithbridge-Stewart isn't a household name? Shameful!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    In general, or in my household? From my living room ... :
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358978342.796792.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  184.1 KB

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Doubtless it's because each word has more syllables to pronounce than, say, Sarah Jane Smith.

One difference between the PCSB and the Small Cafe Bag is that the top of the SCB is covered with a flap, as you point out. As a result, there's a kind of "expandability" in accommodating its contents that is not present in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which entirely zips up closed. The diagonally slashed pocket of the PCSB is therefore also more limited in the volume it can accommodate than the back pocket of the PCSB.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Doubtless it's because each word has more syllables to pronounce than, say, Sarah Jane Smith.

One difference between the PCSB and the Small Cafe Bag is that the top of the SCB is covered with a flap, as you point out. As a result, there's a kind of "expandability" in accommodating its contents that is not present in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which entirely zips up closed. The diagonally slashed pocket of the PCSB is therefore also more limited in the volume it can accommodate than the back pocket of the PCSB.
    moriond
    The beautiful and, very sadly, late Liz Sladen - as a child I loved her!

As regards the bags, that's what I sort of assumed, but it's a little concerning as I'm pretty sure I could fit 4.5 litres of something snuggly in a PCSB, but, presumably the SCB would be bulging somewhat with 6 litres crammed under the hood. That same issue would, presumably, carry through to all the other messenger style gags too. I'm not having a go here as, clearly, it would be ASTM at fault (if anybody) not TB.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by BrianI View Post
    In general, or in my household? From my living room ... :
    Not being at home just now, I can't nip through to my living room to take a snap, and I can't find anything in my iPhoto library, but I have a 14" radio control Dalek on my bookshelf and a 12" Cyberman by my hi-fi! The film of 'Lost in Space' was filmed in the UK too.

Eric

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0