Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mifcnm
  • 1 Post By trin0042
  • 1 Post By tdivcr

Thread: The Aeronaut and the Brain Bag

The Aeronaut and the Brain Bag

So I curious to know if anyone travels with BOTH Brain Bag and the Aeronaut? I want to get the Brain bag for my DSLR camera, with two lenses and flash, iPad, Kindle, moleskin small, tour book, wallet, and charger and I want to walk around with this bag. I will be in Paris and on a tour for 7days. What bothers me is have 2 backpacks and only being able to use one in that capacity and it will not be the one that will be the heaviest. Any suggestions? I'm also considering the Ego, but am trying to wait for a better color selection. Any advice would be appreciated!
    K_SA and tymar1976 like this.

I usually take a brain bag and aeronaut for international travel. Last time, the BB carried 2 laptops in the back and a dslr with 2 lenses in the front (detached). I think the BB is a bit big for a day bag, but that's just me...

I have traveled with both the Aeronaut and a Brain Bag on trips involving flights as well as car trips. I use the Brain Bag primarily for my electronics and as my daily bag at my destination, while the Aeronaut carries clothes, toiletries, etc. Space-wise, I'm sure I could use a Tri-Star instead of the Aeronaut, but I haven't purchased a Tri-Star! I have not had any problems carrying both the Brain Bag and the Aeronaut on smaller regional flights. I definitely think that the bags give the appearance of being smaller than they are when you are carrying one on your back and one on your shoulder.

The only way you could do that would be to use the Aeronaut cross body with the Absolute Strap and the Brain Bag on your back.

I use the Brain Bag domestically with a Large Cafe Bag, they are both packed really really full and even for me, somebody with a big frame, it feels like a trek to walk for some time.

You might be able to do it if you choose a Dyneema Aeronaut and pack it loosely.

You might also choose the Camera I-O - Camera Bag. - TOM BIHN for your DSLR.

You could place it in your Aeronaut while in transit then remove it and wear it with the Absolute Strap while at your destination.

You could use a Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) - Travel Packing Cube converts to an ultralight backpack - TOM BIHN to carry the iPad, Kindle, moleskin small, tour book, wallet, and charger and walk around with it on your back and the The Camera I-O (Insert-Outsert) cross body.

I know about the bulk of the Brain Bag but I don't know anything about carrying bulky photo/video or audio equipment.
    There are several members with experience in this matter, however, they are usually on the road but you might be lucky and catch one on the forum.

Hope this help!
    Last edited by backpack; 01-22-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I've used the Aeronaut as a backpack on my back, and the Brain Bag as a backpack on my front. It's not sexy. It is heavy. But it works for the airport.

Not sure you need something as big as the Brain Bag for the items you mentioned, but a Synapse (my usual Teenage Mutant Ninja Style attire) is possibly too small, so how about the Smart Alec? It's my favorite new bag, and I'm certain I'll wear it on my front for the airport part of travel and on my back for a day bag.

For reference, I am 5'3", and regularly pack the Aeronaut over 20 lbs. (I'm not proud - just for reference)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The only way you could do that would be to use the Aeronaut cross body with the Absolute Strap and the Brain Bag on your back.

I use the Brain Bag domestically with a Large Cafe Bag, they are both packed really really full and even for me, somebody with a big frame, it feels like a trek to walk for some time.

You might be able to do it if you choose a Dyneema Aeronaut and pack it loosely.

You might also choose the Camera I-O - Camera Bag. - TOM BIHN for your DSLR.

You could place it in your Aeronaut while in transit then remove it and wear it with the Absolute Strap while at your destination.

You could use a Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) - Travel Packing Cube converts to an ultralight backpack - TOM BIHN to carry the iPad, Kindle, moleskin small, tour book, wallet, and charger and walk around with it on your back and the The Camera I-O (Insert-Outsert) cross body.

I know about the bulk of the Brain Bag but I don't know anything about carrying bulky photo/video or audio equipment.
    There are several members with experience in this matter, however, they are usually on the road but you might be lucky and catch one on the forum.

Hope this help!
    Thanks, that's a great suggestion about the Packing cube.

I've used my Aeronaut as both a backpack and as a shoulder/handle bag, and I honestly prefer it in the second configuration. I've always considered the backpack straps on it as more of a backup option anyway, and the bag slides into an airline overhead much more easily when the straps are stowed. Even with it completely stuffed, it's not too cumbersome to carry or sling IMO.

My wife has a Brain Bag which she normally uses for her carry-on, and I borrowed it for the last flight I took. I found it much more comfortable as a backpack than the Aeronaut is.

I carried both last year on a two-week trip to the UK. I needed to cover business (sportcoat, tie), business casual and casual (weekend walk in a national park), so I was a bit overpacked, especially as I was never too long in one hotel to be able to wash and dry clothes. I was also in and out of trains and planes, including a desperate speed-walk through Madrid airport.

It can be done if you watch the weight and use the Aeronaut as a shoulder bag. I packed a full laptop and a netbook AND a Kindle in the Brainbag, plus in-flight supplies and gadgets. In retrospect, I didn't use or could have substituted several items to cut weight.

If I didn't go for business I probably would have ditched the laptop (and the Brain Cell) and eliminated some clothing, so it would have been probably 25-33% lighter. If you are traveling for leisure it should be a lot easier. Think hard about the Brainbag, though. It is an excellent bag, but if you can get away with a smaller pack like a Synapse it will make handling better. Still better, I would use the Aeronaut backpack style and some shoulder bag as your EDC as others have suggested. The Aeronaut backpack packing cube is a good daypack substitute.

Thanks, sounds like that wasn't too much trouble.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0