Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By bvp663

Thread: Recommendations for a world adventure!

Recommendations for a world adventure!

Hello forum people!

I worry about creating a posting adding to the growing collection of people hemming and hawing over which bag to purchase. However I've seen nothing but friendly and constructive guidance and conversation on these forums that I'm going to give it a go..

I'm heading out on some adventures this year and have decided it's time to lock down all my luggage & packing gear beforehand. Luggage has come a long way since I last travelled internationally and it's time to invest in some quality gear. I'll be hanging with shamans and visiting ruins in the jungles of Peru, surfing and eating açaí bowls in Brazil, and traversing the beautiful country of New Zealand. I want to keep things light and minimal. In the past I've travelled around Europe twice with a fairly large Jansport backpack w/ removable daypack (photo attached. Extra credit to whoever can figure out the exact model and specs) and I use a cheap Champion bag from Costco for domestic trips (it's held together incredibly well after 10 years and 20+ trips). The Jansport bag was a beast and had more pockets and zippers than I knew what do with and the detachable backpack was pretty small and uncomfortable for my frame and difficult to zip back onto the pack.

I'm thinking I can replace both of these with an Aeronaut. However based on my itinerary above, I'm open to other suggestions. I know some folks like Tyan use just a Synapse (I know personally I'd probably want more space than that). So… any Tom Bihn world adventurers out there? What have you found that works best? Are people combining Aeronaut + backpack for day treks? Would love to hear folks thoughts! Hoping to purchase next week and take the gear on a trial run to Cancun.

I'm 28 and 6'2" if that is useful info at all. I appreciate any and hall feedback!

Name:  jansport.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  209.6 KB
    Name:  champion.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  172.8 KB

Bump. Went with an aeronaut already but would still love to hear folk's opinions.
    "It's dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    In the end you really can't really go wrong with an Aeronaut, but I have a friend who is a real world traveler. Back in the '80's he used to carry one of those big ruck sacks with an aluminium frame, but he learnt quickly, sometimes violently, that traveling light is better. For the last as long as I can remember, he's just carried a small 15-20ltr ruck sack of no "make" at all and gone pretty ugh everywhere with nothing else! OK he's extreme.

Which Aeronaut did you go with? I love the new Dyneema one, but for what you have in mind, I'd go for a Balistic one in a neutral colour. All that being said, if I were you, I'd have gone for a Smart Alec or a Brain Bag depending on your volume requirements with maybe a Tri-Star packing cube back pack as a day sack. It's not that the Aeronaut won't work, but I see it more as a aeroplane/hotel sort of bag that can be carried with ruck sack straps rather than a true ruck sack. As you've ordered it, I'd suggest having a good look at it and a good think, and if its not what you really want, I know Tom wants you to have the right bag for you, and his great folk will happily exchange it for you, no questions asked - just don't take it on a hike till you're sure you want to keep it, just load it up and see what it feels like in your house.

The Jansport looks like their model called the Bhutan I used on a trip to Europe in 2001. Except you mentioned many pockets and zippers and the Bhutan has only a few. The detachable day pack worked okay as an addition pocket but so poorly as a day pack that I left it at home and took an REI ruck sack instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Which Aeronaut did you go with? I love the new Dyneema one, but for what you have in mind, I'd go for a Balistic one in a neutral colour.
    Looks like there was a mix-up. I ordered the Steel Dyneema but received a regular Steel Ballistic. Unboxing video here for those that want to see what the Ballistic Steel/Wasabi combo looks like. The lighting isn't great, I'll try to do another video when the Dyneema comes. Initial impressions: The ballistic nylon seems on the heavy side but feels bulletproof. The Awesome strap is incredible. The dyneema backpack cube is larger than expected (good thing). I appreciate your feedback and I'll have to research going with one of the Tom Bihn backpacks. I might just keep the Aeronaut and take it on a trial run to Mexico and if I feel it merits it, I'll purchase a backpack for my extended south american travels coming up.

I'm sure the Dyneema is plenty sturdy for world travel. I've taken Gossamer Gear ripstop nylon packs through the wilderness for weeks at a time and they held up pretty well. Dyneema should be even stronger.

"It's dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Fun video! Can't wait to eventually open my own box of TB goodies. Too bad about the mix-up though. Hopefully all will be resolved soon!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0