Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By darbs
  • 1 Post By Kichen$ink
  • 2 Post By joiedwards
  • 1 Post By joiedwards

Thread: Thinking about getting a Cafe Bag

Thinking about getting a Cafe Bag

I am looking for a weekday, weekend casual purse style bag. So Cafe Bag owners, I am looking at the Medium size. What say you, talk me into it or out of it.

I would be carrying a small cosmetics pouch, glasses case, wallet, ipad in cache, field notes journal, small 5 pen case, iphone, tissues, few knick-knacks.

Thanks
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

All of this would fit very well into a MCB. What color are you thinking about?

Cocoa/Wasabi or the Plum. I want something a bit bright!

My Aeronaut and Smart Alec are black, my Brain Bag is navy and I have a ultraviolet shoulder bag packing cube I use as a purse but it is too small for the ipad.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

My MCB is Cocoa/Wasabi. I bought and gifted several MCB and SCB in Plum/Wasabi. Both color combination are beautuful. You cannot go wrong with either one.

I love my Storm/Steel MCB! It is my EDC bag and I take it everywhere! Just when I think it is full, I can always stuff something else in it. The BF laughs at me saying that I don't even know what all is down in there. My reply is I know exactly what is in it and what color pouch it is in. You will never regret buying one and soon you'll decide you need a Large and Small!

I only have Large and Small Cafe Bags.

The Large are second travel bag on U.S flights and iused with other TB bags on all road trips as well as EDC in situations when the Synapse is not formal enough.

I found the choice of sizes a genius idea.

On my frame, the Large looks exactly the same as the Small on Lani so depending on your frame a Large or a Medium will work.

The Small is the cutest thing ever and fit like a tiny purse.
    Yet it is roomy enough for everyday minimalist EDC which I switched to when we had the sweltering summer temperatures.

One drawback about the SCB is that it doesn't fit the FJN, so I think that the Medium is ideal for most people.

You might look at your first Cafe Bag but I can assure you it won't be your last.

Lani and I both jumped to order the brand new Dyneema/Dyneema SBC the minute it was posted in the ordering page.

I confess I have Cafe bags in every size - a small Cocoa/Wasabi, two medium - one in Navy/Cayenne, and one in Plum/Wasabi, and a large in Navy/Cayenne. The plum was mine until my better half *borrowed* it one day. It really is a nice color without being really bright, like Indigo. And the medium is an awesomely perfect size - I carry about the same amount of stuff when I use it as a daily bag, but there's still a nice amount of room left over for when you need to shove more things in there.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    I am looking for a weekday, weekend casual purse style bag. So Cafe Bag owners, I am looking at the Medium size. What say you, talk me into it or out of it.

I would be carrying a small cosmetics pouch, glasses case, wallet, ipad in cache, field notes journal, small 5 pen case, iphone, tissues, few knick-knacks.

Thanks
    Go for it! I'm sure you will love it and find the MCB very useful for your needs.

I too have cafe bags in all three sizes; large in Punch/Wasabi (now a retired color combo), medium in Olive/Wasabi, and small in Linen/Olive. I love all three, but I find that I use the MCB the most. The Olive color is bright without being obnoxious, yet still neutral. I find that the color goes well with anything that I wear, as does the Linen.

I carry pretty much all the same things you plan to carry with the addition of a point and shoot camera in a small padded OP and the Guardian Dual Function Light
    I sometimes slip a packable windbreaker and a mini umbrella in the back pocket too. My friends are always amazed at how organized and prepared I am.

I use the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap whenever I use my MCB and SCB and I plan to add the new stabilizer to my next order since I mostly carry my cafe bags crossbody.
    dorayme likes this.

Ok, looks like the vote is yes! Like i thought it would go any other way!!!!
    Now I have to figure out which color and Med or Large.

Thanks everyone~!
    Joi Edwards

I was working the Los Angeles International Pen Show Sunday and saw a lady with a Large Cafe Bag. I talked with her a bit and now know that large is the size for me. Now I have to figure out the color!
    Joi Edwards

Ordered a black/wasabi large Cafe bag today. Thanks for all the input!
    Joi Edwards

Got my bag today. Now to load it up!
    Joi Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    I was working the Los Angeles International Pen Show Sunday and saw a lady with a Large Cafe Bag. I talked with her a bit and now know that large is the size for me. Now I have to figure out the color!
    You were at the L.A pen show? What did you get there?

And please share your EDC LCB load with us!

I ordered a Pelikan M1000 with 3OB nib. I did not really shop, I worked for Susan Wirth' booth and hung with friends. I did get an vintage pen with a really flexy nib. Gonna learn Spencerian with it.
    Joi Edwards

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0