Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Smart Alec under seat / 2 bag with Aeronaut

Howdy All,

Loving my Smart Alec, and enjoying using it for EDC.

I'm planning for some travel this year, and looking at replacing my old leather travel duffel with an Aeronaut.

I fly Southwest primarily; infrequently American or United.

I know the Aeronaut will fit overhead. Can I expect my Smart Alec to fit underseat? I have other small bags (Cafe / Ristretto sized) but using my EDC pack would be ideal - I'm taking to using the admin pockets, etc. and less disruption is better.

Thoughts? I go 2 bags, carry on only as a general rule. I'm thinking matching Black / Wasabi travel gear is something I deserve (... want ... ) in any case.

Thanks!

Brian...I too would love to know the answer to that since my Smart Alec purchase was specifically for that!

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieJB View Post
    Brian...I too would love to know the answer to that since my Smart Alec purchase was specifically for that!
    How you manage to not use your SA for EDC, I do not know. I respect that you don't need / want / have to, but I am loving using mine.

Yes: SA will fit underseat as long as it is not too overstuffed. It can be quite full and I use the bungee cord to tighten it up. It is the depth that sometimes won't work especially if you have one of those seats with the entertainment thingies there. But most times I have had no trouble at all in fitting it under the seat of most Southwest, American, or United A.

I have rarely had difficulty fitting my SA under the seat in front of me. I tend to fly regional jets (USAir, Delta). On larger aircraft, sometimes the aisle seat space is a bit tighter but the SA fits. The only time I have experienced a minor problem was when the space was home to those entertainment boxes you occasionally find - even then the SA can be squeezed in as long as it is not packed to bursting.

That's a relief to know thanks!

Awesome - thanks for the reassurance!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianI View Post
    How you manage to not use your SA for EDC, I do not know. I respect that you don't need / want / have to, but I am loving using mine.
    Brian...sometimes I am tempted to put together an EDC bag, but I live so close to work (12 miles) and in a suburban setting so I am rarely far from anything that I truly need. My daily carry knife, flashlight, pen, wallet and phone cover all my essentials and they all fit in my pockets.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0