Horizontal Brain Cell in Western Flyer?

I have found a couple threads that mention this but I am hoping to get up-to-date experiences.

Dimensions indicate that a size 1 horizontal brain cell will just not fit inside a western flyer. Has anyone tried it? Is there enough of a "stretch" or "squish" factor that would allow for it during occasional travel with a Dell Inspiron 15R? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    “What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore, it knows it's not fooling a soul.” - American Gods
    My current hoard: Forest/Ultraviolet Aeronaut, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Indigo/Steel Brain Bag, Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell, Size 1 Vertical Brain Cell, Storm 3D Clear Organizer Cube, Various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps Galore!

I have a size 3S horizontal brain cell which I was intending to use inside my 1 month old Western Flyer. 3S is not listed on the horizontal brain cell sizes any more. I bought it for a Lenovo T42 a few years ago, and it's worked for the replacements my company has issued me - 14" Lenovo T61 and T410 with extended batteries that add about 3/4" to the height of each laptop. The 3S's exterior dimensions are approximately 13.5"W x 12"H x 2.75"D. I can just - and only just - squeeze the 3S inside my WF, with the tightest dimension being height. The annex clips barely line up. I see that size 1 is 2.6" wider, 0.4" higher, but 0.4" slimmer in depth than the 3S. I think the size 1 would fit in a larger bag like the Tri-Star, but you're going to wind up stressing the zip on the WF and perhaps compromising the integrity of the brain cell if you try to force it into that bag.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

I have a western flyer and I use a size one brain cell in it.
    The only thing you'll "lose" is the floating case when attached.
    I can line up and close the clips no problem. The WF +brain cell is my briefcase for work.

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042 View Post
    I have a western flyer and I use a size one brain cell in it.
    Good to know this will fit. Do you have the backpack straps or rollaboard sleeve style WF? I have the former, and the straps do take some available space away from the rear compartment where the brain cell is intended to be stored.

I have the one without backpack straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    I have a size 3S horizontal brain cell which I was intending to use inside my 1 month old Western Flyer. 3S is not listed on the horizontal brain cell sizes any more. I bought it for a Lenovo T42 a few years ago, and it's worked for the replacements my company has issued me - 14" Lenovo T61 and T410 with extended batteries that add about 3/4" to the height of each laptop. The 3S's exterior dimensions are approximately 13.5"W x 12"H x 2.75"D. I can just - and only just - squeeze the 3S inside my WF, with the tightest dimension being height. The annex clips barely line up. I see that size 1 is 2.6" wider, 0.4" higher, but 0.4" slimmer in depth than the 3S. I think the size 1 would fit in a larger bag like the Tri-Star, but you're going to wind up stressing the zip on the WF and perhaps compromising the integrity of the brain cell if you try to force it into that bag.
    I got the size 6T horizontal brain cell when the Western Flyer came out. The 6T is 13" x 12.3" x 2.4" and was used for the 14" Lenovo ThinkPad T60p in place of the Size 4 brain cell (13.8" x 11.7" x 2.3") that was the closest fit in size before they added the 6T model to provide a better fit to the ThinkPads then being issued. There's a forum post where I asked about whether this Brain Cell fit before I ordered the WF, since it was a new Brain Cell at the time, and wasn't included in the list of Brain Cells that fit the WF. Tom actually checked the fit for the WF before Okaying it and adding it to the fit list for the (then new) bag. I wasn't sure the 12.3" external height would be OK, and was prepared to shift back to the size 4 Brain Cell, if needed. The 12.3" height is only 0.1" less than the exterior height you quote for the size 1.

HTH.

moriond

I'm glad to see other data points that contradict my reply. I waited 24 hours to see if anyone else would respond before adding my 2c. Perhaps my bias showed through in my reply. I bought the Brain Cell for use in an Empire Builder, and transferred it over to a Tri-Star a few months later. It fit well in both bags.

I bought the WF in December primarily for clothing, and it works perfectly for up to 4 days. I may still use it as an overnight or 2 night bag with laptop in the rear and clothing in the front, but - with the backpack straps stored inside the back panel - I found the fit on my Brain Cell to be a lot tighter than in the EB or TS. Perhaps in time the WF will relax a little and fit the Brain Cell with ease. But in the meantime I'm happy with my Cadet and Cache.

Thank you all for the replies. This has been very helpful. It sounds like it can be done but isn't ideal.

I'm looking for a personal item that can be used for short trips. An airline I fly with charges for carry-ons now. Their flights are really cheap but I'd love to have a bag bigger than my co-pilot but smaller than my aeronaut that could be called a personal item.
    “What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore, it knows it's not fooling a soul.” - American Gods
    My current hoard: Forest/Ultraviolet Aeronaut, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Indigo/Steel Brain Bag, Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell, Size 1 Vertical Brain Cell, Storm 3D Clear Organizer Cube, Various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps Galore!

How tied are you to using the Brain Cell inside the Western Flyer? I have a checkpoint friendly B&R SpeedThru laptop sleeve designed for a 15" MacBook Pro that I used to use for my Lenovo T410 inside my Tri-Star. It's much slimmer than a Brain Cell, and although it doesn't offer the same protection, it's been 'good enough'. I checked a few minutes ago and it fits with plenty of space left over in the WF. No, it can't be secured by the annex clips, but pack a few items around it and it should be kept in place. Is that an option for your Dell?

Thank you for the idea but I already own the Brain Cell so I probably won't be buying another laptop case. If anything I'll skip the WF as much as I would like one

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0