Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shiva

Thread: Recommendation for use as Gym Bag

Post Recommendation for use as Gym Bag

This seems like a dumb question I suppose. I am looking for an opinion from this forum on the use of the brain bag or the smart alec bags to be used as gym bags. Anyone have experience or agree that this could be a good bag. I watched the video for each of the bags and they look really great for that use. I recently bought a Cafe bag for a trip overseas and loved that bag for that use. I thought the materials, manufacturing, and design are excellent. Looking for a new gym bag so that is why i am reaching out to this forum.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

I would second this question - I'm curious about the Smart Alex... or Synapse... working as an ECB (with room for an iPad or 13-14" laptop) for both work and the gym. Anyone have experience packing with work gear and gym gear?

Hi
    I'm in a same boat. however having used the TB bags I can say that the Synapse is too small for the purpose.
    the best would be a slightly reDesigned (smaller with diff proportion) Aeronaut. the current Aeronaut is the current best for that mission. a slightly smaller, would be the best.
    I w'd give an Aeronaut a try, from Dyneema/Dyneema ,and few tall travel sacks for shoes and wet/dirty items.

It would be helpful to know the gym load-out / intended use in a little more detail. I'm a swimmer, so I'm often just bringing a suit, goggles, microfiber towel and a personal kit.

I just got my Smart Alec, and it could easily take those, in addition to my normal EDC, an iPad and my work laptop (which is a smaller laptop, to be fair). I'm not using a Brain Cell, however, so can't speak to that.

I have used the aeronaut packing cube backpack as a gym bag, it has a separate compartment that holds a bulky pair of size 12 runners and the main compartment has enough room for shorts, shirt, socks, towel and small dopp kit, with room left over for any fitness accessories. I am going to get another on my next order to dedicate to this task and get a smallish organizer pouch to stick on the o-ring for a concept 2 rower log card, gym membership card and various other things when I'm not at the gym and to hold my watch and other looseables while working out.

I'm considering a Brain Bag to replace my Synapse for gym days. The Synapse is too small to carry my 13" MacBook Retina, other EDC necessities, gym clothes, and clothes to change into after the shower.

I guess I am not much of a "dedicated bag" kind of person. I like TB bags precisely cos they are versatile and can be multi-purposed for many uses and occasions. I find that I can use the Synapse as a daily school bag filled with books, papers, laptop, and even a lunch box. It is also a great day hike bag. I have used it as a carry on bag for international trips and it is fantastic since I can keep it with me and not have to reach up for anything. Last time, even finicky British Airways let me take on the Synapse + a small roll on (16inch)--although they are usually so stringent with items. I have used the Synapse as a quick gym bag: but again it depends on what you are carrying. I don't have to carry sneakers, for example. For carrying sneakers, and school stuff, and add on gym stuff, I would say the smart alec. I can usually put a lot more into it, and I strap the sneakers on top with the bungee cord. I don't have to carry "wet" stuff--but I know others have used the dual sided clear quarter cube for swim purpose. I have even tossed in all that I need into a small shop bag and taken that. I do use packing cubes a lot, and I pack clothes in one, and shoes in another. I use an old Eagle Creek one for the shoes...since i keep that dedicated to footwear.

I'm with Shiva, I like to multi-purpose my TB bags (except for one. My Navy/iberian Synapse is the home for my netbook and assorted notes for my book-in-progress. This way if the hubby springs me for an hour, it's ready to grab and go). But I've found the large Shop Bag perfect for my gym and extras crap. Shoes, clothes, extra diapers and wipes in their cheery iberian clear quarter packing cube home, and assorted other little sundries fit perfectly. Plus I love the two interior pockets for water bottles (stay upright this way, no drips!) and the key fob.

Thanks for all the great responses.

For me, I work out in the morning BEFORE work, so I would need a gym bag to carry:
    -computer, power adapter
    -some file folders or a book
    -cell phone
    -small lunch bag
    -towel
    -going INTO the gym: preferably a packing folder with office clothes, business clothes so often a blazer or suit, dress shoes
    -going OUT of the gym: sweaty workout clothes, sneakers

Does this help?

hi back: depends on the size of your shoes and clothes. I could see a Smart Alec for this. Put all your stuff in a freudian slip (file folders, computer etc,) will be organized. A packing cube with your office clothes; and another one for the dirty one. Depending on size of sneaker, you can always put that in the side pockets, or put in a cube and strap it to the outside I would think. Depends on whether you can get away with a backpack at your work place after that? I keep a nice leather portfolio at my office--so once I get there, I can use that to carry stuff to meetings and so on. Let us know what you decide. A Brain Bag would separate everything out more efficiently; but it is truly truly BIIIIIIIGGGG!

Well, some of the decision got made for me. I received a Synapse from my sister!! HUGE surprise, so thankful. She really rocks.

Thus, my Bihn collection is an Aeronaut and a Synapse. My gym bag solution so far has been twofold. (1) On days where I exercise after work and only need to bring gym clothes (and thus can stuff my work clothes in without wrinkle worry), or on days where I am wearing a dress, or skirt and blouse (less space), I can usually fit everything I need in the Synapse, and then I bring a small purse/briefcase sort of bag as well for professional meetings. I do have a locker at my gym, so that helps too. OR (2) On days like today, where it is frigid (thus requiring layers of dress clothes for work) and I work out before work, then I bring my not-really-full Aeronaut (and the small purse fits right inside).

For me, having a small bag like the Synapse for travel is key, so I'm comfortable with the hybrid solution I had going. Yes, a SA or Brain Bag might cover all my bases, but I saw more overall lifestyle solutions by having the smaller Synapse (and I got my Aeronaut last summer). In 5 days I've already gotten better at packing the Synapse strategically. So I've found that there really are lots of solutions!

I just posted a picture of a Tom Bihn gym bag from Days of Yore, in this thread:

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...html#post45071

Take a look. :-)

- Tim

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0