Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By darbs
  • 3 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By Lani

Thread: PCSB

PCSB

I noticed the PCSB is only available in Steel and UV and the other colors aren't even listed. Is it going away? Will the other colors come back? Is there a chance it will show up in Nordic???
    Lani and gochicken like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    I noticed the PCSB is only available in Steel and UV and the other colors aren't even listed. Is it going away? Will the other colors come back? Is there a chance it will show up in Nordic???
    @darbs I think the PCSB was one of victims of the amazing surge of purchases in Wasabi and Iberian Dyneema that Darcy noted. They did manage to get some more Wasabi Dyneema in before the end of the year for some of the new bag offerings (upcoming Synapse in Black/Aubergine/Wasabi I'm looking at you). So I expect these colors to return by at least early February, and maybe earlier. Darcy may have more information.

And Darcy was specifically asked about the possibility of a Nordic Dyneema PCSB at the very end of November. Here's her reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Votes for the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Nordic are noted. (The next batch will likely be made in March 2013.)
    By the way, I think my Iberian PCSB is jealous of today's blog picture.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-03-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added referenced picture

Yep, I'm still patiently waiting for more colors for the PCSB!!

I love my Nordic Small Cafe Bag but nothing beats the PCSB for practicality and usefulness on an actual travel trip (my Nordic SCB is currently my EDC).
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Yep, I'm still patiently waiting for more colors for the PCSB!!

I love my Nordic Small Cafe Bag but nothing beats the PCSB for practicality and usefulness on an actual travel trip (my Nordic SCB is currently my EDC).
    Lani, are the zippers on the PCSB rubberized against really heavy rain? Michelle asked about this in the Synapse in China thread, and I couldn't remember if they were.

moriond

@moriond, the zippers on myPCSBs (steel, UV, iberian) are not rubberized. They were purchased in 2010 & 2011.

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bags were most probably designed to be first Packing Cubes then occasional Shoulder Bags. However, Rebels with a taste for Dyneema, Lani uses them as EDC and I use them inside of Swift(s) and Shop Bags(s) as inner zippered pocket.

As a result, ours are exposed to the elements which are mild in the gorgeous Bay Area but mighty feisty anywhere else and they usually include H2O coming from the sky in various forms, hence the need for a Splash Proof zipper.

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bags were most probably designed to be first Packing Cubes then occasional Shoulder Bags. However, Rebels with a taste for Dyneema, Lani uses them as EDC and I use them inside of Swift(s) and Shop Bags(s) as inner zippered pocket.

As a result, ours are exposed to the elements which are mild in the gorgeous Bay Area but mighty feisty anywhere else and they usually include H2O coming from the sky in various forms, hence the need for a Splash Proof zipper.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @moriond, the zippers on myPCSBs (steel, UV, iberian) are not rubberized. They were purchased in 2010 & 2011.
    Thanks, Walker, that's what I thought and answered to Michelle's question in the Synapse in China thread. I knew that was true for my original PCSB in Steel, which was the first model that was offered. I thought this was also true of my Iberian PCSB, purchased in mid-2012, but I don't have that bag with me to check.

All good information! I just got a lovely bonus so I'm putting together an order. As always, the decision is do you buy now or hold out for the hope of what color you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Hey, I just thought of something!

Maybe they could continue offering the original PCSB as is, but offer a "beefier/heftier" version using the new Dyneema... and offer it with the rubberized zipper! Obviously it would cost a bit more, but it would give us more choices. And those splash-proof zippers would be nice peace of mind if you wanted to use the heftier PCSB to hold onto damp clothes (like sweaty jogging togs or a wrung out bathing suit)!!!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0