Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 2 Post By KmK

Thread: Cafe Bag strap change?

Cafe Bag strap change?

I just received a large mostly gift order that included a Dyneema Small Cafe Bag (still unsure about Dyneema as an exterior, but I wanted to check it out in person). I noticed the shoulder strap is different from my older cafe bags - much thicker and stiffer. I'm sure it will soften up some, but one of my favorite things about the cafe bags is how soft and flexible the straps are.

Have the cafe bags straps changed in general, or is it just the Dyneema? And if this is a widespread/long-term change, are there any bags currently in stock that have the old strap material? I might have to grab another color combination or two while I can....

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hmm! We have been (intentionally) using a slightly stiffer webbing for the shoulder straps for a while now. I would suggest giving us a call -- 1-800-729-9607 or 1-206-652-4123 and we can actually walk over to the Cafe Bags and tell you which colors and sizes have which type of webbing.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hmm! We have been (intentionally) using a slightly stiffer webbing for the shoulder straps for a while now. I would suggest giving us a call -- 1-800-729-9607 or 1-206-652-4123 and we can actually walk over to the Cafe Bags and tell you which colors and sizes have which type of webbing.
    Did you do the same with the brain bag? I noticed my new brain bag seemed to have stiffer shoulder straps than my 4 year old one, but I thought that was due to wear and not a design change.

- Tim

Thanks, Darcy! I'll plan to give you a call after the holiday rush, which will give me time to figure out what else might slip into the potential order.

Just got my new SCB in Steel Dyneema and noticed the same thing. The strap is much stiffer than the one I got on my Black SCB back in April 2012. While I still like the SCB in Steel Dyneema, I much preferred the older and softer strap. Too bad that on the SCB this can't simply be exchanged with another strap. The soft strap was one of my preferred features of the SCB.

@Darcy: Any chance you could post a list of SCB/MCB colours that are still available with the old, soft straps. I am considering giving this new SCB away as a gift and buying a couple of new ones to keep them as my future stash of Café bags. :-)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    @Darcy: Any chance you could post a list of SCB/MCB colours that are still available with the old, soft straps. I am considering giving this new SCB away as a gift and buying a couple of new ones to keep them as my future stash of Café bags. :-)
    The best way would be to give us a call (+1-206-652-4123) and we'll actually walk over and look at all of the Cafe bags and let you know.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank you, Darcy. Will do. Was hoping for a list because of the time zone difference between here and there ;-) Happy to give you a ring though.

I bought a SCB nordic/steel dyneema. It also has the stiff strap. I love everything about the bag, except for the strap.

I hope TB has the SCB nordic/steel dyneema with the soft strap. I would like to trade the bag I have for one of those. If they are only made with the stiff strap, I will return the bag. That will make me sad.

I know this thread has a small sample size, but three out of three users clearly prefer the older, softer strap. Maybe you'd consider switching back in the future?

And if you do, please let us know! I was able to order a Plum/Wasabi SCB with the older strap, but there weren't any MCBs with the older strap left, and I'd love to add a second one to my roster.

i prefer the older strap as well. it was actually one of my favouriate things about my first MCB. i always thought it was a very nice strap, esp how it is reinforced by having rows of thread sewn down its length - don't believe i have seen that on any other bag strap. the softness of the straps also make the bag feel lighter, more mobile somehow and nicer to touch. if there is a possibility of brining back the old strap, that would be great!
    Last edited by sofapug; 01-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    Seriously addicted. I love my TB bags (in order of preference): Aeronaut (black/steel), Western Flyer (black/iberian), Smart Alec (black/black), Synapse (steel dyneema/solar), MCB (linen/olive), Cadet (black/steel), Side Effect (black), Shop Bags (various), packing cubes, WF Packing Cube Backpack (steel), Travel Stuff Sacks (various), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (forest), LCB (steel/cayenne), Imago (black ballistic/steel), Co-Pilot (steel/solar), FJN (crimson), Ego (black/steel).

I've never experienced the softer strap, but I think that I'd prefer it to the strap my MCB has.

I was able to order an SCB in Cocoa/Wasabi (thank you Trevor!!!), but unfortunately no black ones were available with the old strap. I am also hoping you'll consider bringing back the soft strap in the future.
    Still love your other products though ;-)

I do hope the soft strap comes back on the cafe bags. I decided to the nordic/uv SCB I had ordered. I will buy another if and when the item is made with the soft strap.

Ok, I'm trying to upload the picture and I keep getting an error!

KmK
    I too loved the soft flop of the earlier strap...but I went ahead and ordered an SCB in N/UV anyway because I loved the color combination.

If it is any consolation, though, my experience with it is that the strap gives with regular use. It is much more flexible now than at first and by rubbing on my coat/jacket/sweater/whatever it has smoothed/softened in texture.

As a side note, it is such a delight to carry this color combination, open it, and see the blue Dyneema, the purple Dyneema, the wasabi Dyneema of my pencil case, and the red Dyneema of the small OP that holds my phone... what can I say? It's fun to walk with a rainbow in my bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0