Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By dlg
  • 1 Post By spamjam
  • 1 Post By dlg

Thread: Tic Tac containers in a ballistic pencil pouch?

dlg

Tic Tac containers in a ballistic pencil pouch?

Does anyone have a ballistic pencil pouch and a tic tac container handy? Does the container fit upright in the pouch? I think by "upright" i mean the white of the lid and the zipper running parallel to each other.

This is sort of a strange request, but I'm thinking of using it to organize various Small Things (pills, emergency salt reserve, batteries) in my bag. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    Does anyone have a ballistic pencil pouch and a tic tac container handy? Does the container fit upright in the pouch? I think by "upright" i mean the white of the lid and the zipper running parallel to each other.

This is sort of a strange request, but I'm thinking of using it to organize various Small Things (pills, emergency salt reserve, batteries) in my bag. Thanks!
    Which size of tic tac boxes? Be aware that the tic tacs in packs of 4 are bigger.

If you are talking about the regular size tic tac boxes, I will say 4 for sure will fit in the Pencil Pouch, maybe 5, if you squeeze the first 4 boxes together you might fit the 5th one.
    Darcy likes this.

dlg
    Awesome, thanks. I didn't know about the size difference.

dlg
    As much as a bookmark as anything, this is my backup plan if I'm unhappy with tic tacs: CountyComm - Industrial Strength EDC Survival Food Grade Tin

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I didn't know about the size difference.
    Thanks to you! Because of you I opened a new pack of 4 and was, what? they are bigger?

Trust me the tic tac boxes will be great, I have used them for EDC pill and tic tac carry ever since I got my first Cordura Pouches, which would be my second order around mid or late 06.

Due to the fact that the candies are not the best for dental health but the easiest for a quick breath refresh or something to help when air pressure change, I hoard the boxes.

When the plastic gets a slight cut, it is use for small office supplies. Weight is very important to me and the lighter the container the better.

The containers you linked to are soooo cute, I would be tempted if I had the budget.

I usually buy mints and give them to my husband and get the empty tin when he is done.

Those tins can even be upcycled using paint, stickers, scrapbooking technique to make little EDC kits like sewing, health, mini office stuff, mini beauty kit for eye/cheeks/lip...

Depending on the size, you can put a couple of the regular size tins and probably around 4 or 6 of the really small ones in a Medium Pouch.

I am a big Pouch user because it helps me make sure I bring everything I need, I size and color code, it is very easy and make my life much easier.

Backpack, any chance you might upload some photos of your tic tac kits? Or maybe you have decorated some of those times you could share?

I love the fact that Tom Bihn offers Steel as a lining color, it keeps the content of my Tom Bihn Bags private.

I also love to share ideas on the forum but I found that posting pictures on a public forum is pass the threshold of what I feel comfortable with.

I am very grateful that other forum members are bold enough to share pictures of their bag setup and even themselves as it helps prospective Tom Bihn fans visualize the volume capacity of products, their usefulness, the way they work together and with the physical frame of different body shapes.

PS: I am also very grateful for UV, which is bright and private and purple, the perfect lining and non lining color, it brighten my day, everyday.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Tom, Darcy and the lovely Crew!
    Last edited by backpack; 12-11-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Which size of tic tac boxes? Be aware that the tic tacs in packs of 4 are bigger.

If you are talking about the regular size tic tac boxes, I will say 4 for sure will fit in the Pencil Pouch, maybe 5, if you squeeze the first 4 boxes together you might fit the 5th one.
    I don't mean to confuse matters but Tic Tac has recently shifted to a larger box format. If you're remembering those really small ones the size of a mini Altoid tin, it's REALLY hard to get those now. All the newer ones are the sizes you see in stores now, almost as big as a driver's license.

If you're wanting the tiny ones, you will need to check online.

The currently available ones started as being labeled as "BIG PACK" and weigh 1 ounce (29 grams). Nowadays though, since they seem to have completed their transition, the big ones don't say "BIG PACK" on them anymore. The original, smaller containers only held 0.625 ounce (14.5 grams), I believe.

I've also seen their MONSTER packs that must hold like half a cup of Tic Tacs. Those weigh 3.4 ounces.

Here's an example of the older, SMALLER container: Tic Tac Freshmint Mints, 0.625-Ounce-Dispensers (Pack of 48): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

PS: I don't mean to sound like such a Tic Tac geek! It's only that I used to buy them so I could put pills and tablets in them (and of course, taping the label on them!). The round pill bottles were always so bulky, and I loved that I could stick one of those in my purse for when I got a headache.
    Last edited by Lani; 12-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

The size of the 4 or 5 that can fit in a Pencil Pouch are the tiny ones, which according to Lani's post, cannot be found in retail anymore. Thank You So Much for the info Lani!

Lani;"The currently available ones started as being labeled as "BIG PACK" and weigh 1 ounce (29 grams). Nowadays though, since they seem to have completed their transition, the big ones don't say "BIG PACK" on them anymore. The original, smaller containers only held 0.625 ounce (14.5 grams), I believe."

You can fit 2 of the regular 1 ounces in the Pencil Pouch but unlike the small 0.62 ounces ones, which fit perfectly in a Small Pouch, there is a gap not big enough to fit another 1 ounce box but big enough that they will shift.

Annoying.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.

dlg
    You're not kidding, i stopped by the grocery today. They're much bigger than I remember from my childhood. Hobby Lobby was of no use, either. Back to the drawing board. Thanks, everyone.

I use dental floss containers to store pills, ear plugs, etc. They come in several different sizes; most are quite small.
    Lani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spamjam View Post
    I use dental floss containers to store pills, ear plugs, etc. They come in several different sizes; most are quite small.
    This is a great idea!

How do you manage to keep your hands off the cutting area? Did you have many accidental spills?

The plastic piece that holds the cutter has be removed to put stuff in the container. Just toss it. I've never had a problem with the top coming unlatched.

dlg
    Look what I found!
    Name:  2012-12-22_20_37_39.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  143.4 KB

They fit perfectly!
    Name:  2012-12-22_20_37_25.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  145.2 KB

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0