Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By falconea

Thread: Ballpoint pen mark on Platinum Padded Pouch! Remedies please.

Ballpoint pen mark on Platinum Padded Pouch! Remedies please.

My Beautiful Vintage Platinum Padded Pouch got a ballpoint mark right in the middle of it.

It happened just 2 days before the Black Padded Pouches came as a Hannuka present for the husband unit who had been borrowing my Vintage Platinum Padded Pouch to protect his non-Apple tablet.

I don't want to do anything until I get some feedback on how to treat four-ply Taslan nylon for stain.

I need to check ballpoint removing remedies and post them here for comments on possible negative interaction with four-ply Taslan nylon.

PS: The Black Padded Pouches are a hit, and the Packing Cube Shoulder (waist) Bag retrofitted with one of the Waist Strap for my Cafe Bags has became the EDC workout gear and yes, it is Steel.

Nli
    Not sure on the Taslan but I regularly have to remove ink from one or more family member's pockets and rubbing alcohol has worked every time. Gel pens and other, newer inks: variable reliability but usually sufficient. Remove sooner rather than later. On clothing I soak the area, seal for a couple of hours in ziplock bag or in a mixing bowl covered in plastic wrap and then wash as usual. Check before returning to dryer (not an issue with your pouch). We usually have a lot of items affected because someone "forgot" to check pockets.....

I agree with Nli, I too have had success with rubbing alcohol for pen, and even Sharpie, marks on fabrics. I act before its been otherwise laundered and it comes right out. You may test the colorfastness and integrity of the pouch though, I have used the alcohol remedy on natural fibers not nylon.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    ...the Packing Cube Shoulder (waist) Bag retrofitted with one of the Waist Strap for my Cafe Bags has became the EDC workout gear and yes, it is Steel.
    Ohhh now THAT's clever!

PS: That's SO clever I think I might experiment and see if that works! I can see how that might come in handy on day hikes or when rushing around at a theme park!
    Last edited by Lani; 12-06-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

A lot of ballpoints have really nasty ink. A builder friend was telling me about his problems with them - a client had a small mark on a wall (thanks to a child) and a painter sanded it back and painted it *10* times and the mark still showed. (The ink is oil based and penetrates horribly well, so paint doesn't stick to it no matter what you do.) The builder solved the problem by cuting out a large section of the plasterboard and replastering to remove the mark.

My friend hates ballpoints with an intense passion!

Audrey

Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    A lot of ballpoints have really nasty ink. A builder friend was telling me about his problems with them - a client had a small mark on a wall (thanks to a child) and a painter sanded it back and painted it *10* times and the mark still showed. (The ink is oil based and penetrates horribly well, so paint doesn't stick to it no matter what you do.) The builder solved the problem by cuting out a large section of the plasterboard and replastering to remove the mark.

My friend hates ballpoints with an intense passion!

Audrey

Ballpoints are great to sign document where permanent ink is needed, anything that has to do with legal stuff.

Beside this, I have the same feeling as your friend about them.

They need pressure resulting in cramps if one needs to write for some time, they are usually very slim (more cramps), they are disposable, either the entire pen or the refill, not good for the environment.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-11-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0