Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tbessie
  • 3 Post By moriond

Thread: Stuff Sack Advice

Stuff Sack Advice

Hi,
    I am traveling from the west coast to the east coast and need to pack my jacket. I really want to put it in my bag (rather than carry it) and I am debating a stuff sack.

I have this jacket and am looking for advice on which size stuff sack to get.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahlin View Post
    Hi,
    I am traveling from the west coast to the east coast and need to pack my jacket. I really want to put it in my bag (rather than carry it) and I am debating a stuff sack.

Thanks!
    That looks like the pockets are fairly streamlined, and you may not be able to get much into them (nice jacket, by the way). I'd guess that you'd be limited to either a #1 or #2 travel stuff sack. (#1 is really small; Lani has a picture showing it compared to an iPhone). #2 is about the size of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, but the travel stuff sack can crush down in size. Take a look at the pictures in my post in the Windbreaker/light rain jacket in Dyneema pouch? thread. I might also try one of the Eagle Creek Specter II quarter cubes of silnylon, which is slightly smaller than the #2 travel stuff sack, lighter weight, and really smooth to fit into otherwise tight spots. There's a small handle on top to help you pull things out. Conversa talks about using the Specter cubes in the recent "One bagging with the Synapse" thread: one bagging it with synapse
    There are links to Lani's Travelite blog review of the travel stuff sacks in my above linked post.

HTH. moriond

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlin View Post
    Hi,
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    That looks like the pockets are fairly streamlined, and you may not be able to get much into them (nice jacket, by the way). I'd guess that you'd be limited to either a #1 or #2 travel stuff sack. (#1 is really small; Lani has a picture showing it compared to an iPhone). #2 is about the size of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, but the travel stuff sack can crush down in size. Take a look at the pictures in my post in the Windbreaker/light rain jacket in Dyneema pouch? thread. I might also try one of the Eagle Creek Specter II quarter cubes of silnylon, which is slightly smaller than the #2 travel stuff sack, lighter weight, and really smooth to fit into otherwise tight spots. There's a small handle on top to help you pull things out. Conversa talks about using the Specter cubes in the recent "One bagging with the Synapse" thread: one bagging it with synapse
    There are links to Lani's Travelite blog review of the travel stuff sacks in my above linked post.

HTH. moriond
    I think she wants to put the jacket in the stuff sack, not put a stuff sack in the jacket pocket.

Personally, I use a vacuum-type "space bag" and they have a carry-on size that fits perfectly in a carry-on bag. It does a terrific job in compressing my thick fleece jackets.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    I think she wants to put the jacket in the stuff sack, not put a stuff sack in the jacket pocket.
    Sorry about that. Well, I think the links I gave would still work for that estimate. For me, a size #3 Travel stuff sack would work to fit a down jacket, and evidently that's true for Lani, as well. But I'm under 5'4" and that would be for a size 6. I can easily fit a down vest or light windbreaker into a size #2 travel stuff sack, which would probably also work for someone larger than me. Another*helpful image to view is the blog picture showing the different size stuff sacks in an Aeronaut:

Compare the size of the jacket rolled up with the stuff sack. I'd guess that you'd use a size#3. If the jacket is a larger size, maybe you'd need a size #4.

HTH. moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0