Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By MtnMan
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 8 Post By Badger

Thread: Question about dyneema colors in TB travel luggage

Question about dyneema colors in TB travel luggage

I have a color question about the dyneema linings used in the new Tom Bihn travel luggage, specifically the Aeronaut.

I saw the photos on the revamped Aeronaut page. The Navy / Wasabi Aeronaut caught my eye. It looks just like the previous Navy / Solar Aeronaut. Is there a difference? If so, what is the difference? Is the Wasabi dyneema really bright? Can anyone show a side-by-side comparison of the old Solar, the new Wasabi, and the new Ultraviolet?

T.I.A.

The Mountain Man
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

The Solar is a very bright yellow. Wasabi, on the other hand, is the color of very light canned green peas.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone show a side-by-side comparison of the old Solar, the new Wasabi, and the new Ultraviolet?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone show a side-by-side comparison of the old Solar, the new Wasabi, and the new Ultraviolet?
    Why not look at the blog pictures in one of the posts about stuff sacks and travel stuff sacks, such as this:

That's steel, wasabi, ultraviolet, iberian, and solar Dyneema, all in a row. I'm personally a big fan of solar for bag interiors. But wasabi works for more color combinations, including the standard black. Black/wasabi is a better combination that black/solar would have been. To get an impression of how wasabi works with navy, take a look at the Navy/Cork/Wasabi images on the Imago page. That's a solid color wasabi in Cordura instead of the Dyneema lining, but the color contrast is similar, and you'll see that this combination works pretty well.

moriond

I wish solar was still available for the Aeronaut interiors. When TB first posted an image of the navy/solar Aeronaut, I was very impressed.

It bears repeating that Tom Bihn bags have such classic designs and enduring craftsmanship that it (literally) pays to have a Tom Bihn bags fund.

This way, one can buy the color and design that suits one's fancy when it is available.

Unless one had to go through a disaster or other set backs, I think it is doable to set aside one dollar a day for the year end holidays or the mid year (summer in the northern hemisphere) new goodies unveiling.

This is usually when Tom Bihn Inc new colors come out because the period above are the busiest travel times of the year.
    Most countries also have some sort of spring break and there are also autumn travel bargains, if this is the time one travels, getting the goodies one fancies during the previous season works well if one sees a must have color or one might wait until 3 months before travel.

When waiting until the last minute to get travel gear, it pays to call. (Lani did just that for the Nordic/UV small Cafe Bag)
    Emails are answered very fast as well.

Note that Tom Bihn Inc might have the secret for ever expanding capacity bags but it still doesn't know own a transporter, Star Trek style, so its miracle of getting a bag to you at the last minute might be limited to the U.S west coast.

Some people, like myself, have a particular fancy for some colors so we wait until more things come in those colors.*
    Others, get exited by new offerings and want to get to it right away.**

* Also known as cat hunt.
    ** Otherwise known as puppy pounce.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-28-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    Lani likes this.

Does TB offer an Aeronaut with a forest-green exterior and a wasabi interior? Any images of what that looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    When waiting until the last minute to get travel gear, it pays to call. (Lani did just that for the Nordic/UV small Cafe Bag)
    Emails are answered very fast as well.
    I can vouch for their customer service. It's jaw-droppingly good. And they are small enough that you actually get to work with the people you've heard about (like Katy; others are profiled at their website), and they seem to genuinely care about making sure we're taken care of. To me, that's worth the price of admission--that is, the higher cost of their products(although it's nothing compared to hoity toity brands; have you priced out a silly tote bag from Coach? $399 at their outlet stores! Ridiculous).

Two things:

- You can always buy a couple of different color combos and return the one you don't like. Of course the danger with that is you might fall in love with both, and decide to keep both!

- If you fall in love with a color and you have your heart set on it for a trip, I strongly encourage you to just bite the bullet and purchase it early. Unless it's a black/steel combo (their default color), a lot of the other colors are made in small batches, so they can become temporarily sold out and not available to reach you in time for your trip.

[The only other companies I would put on par with Tom Bihn customer service is Zappos and L.L.Bean. Both Zappos and L.L.Bean offer free shipping back and forth. I have no idea how they actually make money on such a business model, but I have to assume they make up for it in sheer volume. Zappos in particular gives me free overnight shipping (they offered me VIP membership very early on when I bought a lot of shoes), so I find that I can buy a shoe in multiple pairs so I can try them on at home, without worrying about the cost of shipping the ill-fitting ones back. Tom Bihn can't do the same because they are a small business, but they are also the only one of the three that uses carbon neutral shipping, and doesn't use a 55-gallon drum sized box to ship me a small wallet.]
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Some people, like myself, have a particular fancy for some colors so we wait until more things come in those colors.*
    Others, get exited by new offerings and want to get to it right away.**

* Also known as cat hunt.
    ** Otherwise known as puppy pounce.
    Love this description, backpack!

Does TB offer an Aeronaut with a forest-green exterior and a wasabi interior? Any images of what that looks like?
    AFAIK the forest green with a wasabi Dyneema interior hasn't made it to the product lists yet, but I might have missed it. I think there were a lot of black/wasabi combinations which were wildly popular (aka many people commented on missing this combination when it was in stock). There was also a stampede for the new Aubergine/Wasabi combinations when Aubergine was introduced. I think they did a number of Navy/Wasabi combinations before the Wasabi (and Iberian) ran out, and requests for Steel/Wasabi on the traveling bags entered the queue after Navy/Wasabi. (You can now preorder a Steel/Wasabi Aeronaut). I just don't think there has been an opportunity to do Forest Green/Wasabi yet. This should look very well together. I know there were some requests for Forest Green/Solar, but I think Darcy was correct when she said these didn't quite match. (There's a post of mine on this topic where I said that solar would have worked with earlier, and only briefly available Hunter Green, which has a slightly bluer or more pine tone, but not so well with Forest Green.)

They've actually done a great job of tweaking the color offerings so that the combinations all work well together. The new Aubergine is reddish enough, and with gray tones, to make it work well with Wasabi Dyneema. And I'd say the new Nordic Dyneema looks especially good with Aubergine, Navy, and Steel among the ballistic nylon offerings.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-28-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Janine likes this.

The best Aeronaut, by far, is navy-blue exterior and solar interior.

The best Aeronaut, by far, is navy-blue exterior and solar interior.
    The best Aeronaut is the one that accompanies its owner on fantastic journeys, and facilitates fast-moving and stress-free travel. No matter what color it is.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0