Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice on Brain bag

Advice on Brain bag

Hello all, a job change has me rethinking my daily work bag. My most recent role involved a long car commute and lots of travel so the Zephyr was perfect. But now I am commuting by subway (standing) and a good brisk walk. Even with the absolute strap the bag is uncomfortable. I was thinking of the Brain bag but I am afraid even when strapped down it might be too big for a crowded subway. Any thoughts from users of this bag? The smart Alec is not my thing and the synapse too small for my laptop. Thanks! Mike

I take mine on the subway, and I position it on the ground between my legs. If you don't mind doing that, it works well.

nsh
    Have you considered the Synapse? It might be less obtrusive when standing in crowds but still fits a lot of stuff (including a Macbook Pro 13 inches)? I carry my laptop/lunch box/and file papers in mine and it is incredibly comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by nsh View Post
    Have you considered the Synapse? It might be less obtrusive when standing in crowds but still fits a lot of stuff (including a Macbook Pro 13 inches)? I carry my laptop/lunch box/and file papers in mine and it is incredibly comfortable.
    Thanks for the reply. I really want a Synapse but it is too small. I love Apple products but my new job like all my jobs previous is striclty a MSFT world. My 15 inch windows machine would not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    I take mine on the subway, and I position it on the ground between my legs. If you don't mind doing that, it works well.
    Thanks tbessie! I live in Boston and with winter coming I am hesitant to have it on the floor with all the water and salt. I am sure the bag can take it but I don't want to throw the bag on at my destination and have the dirt transfer to my jacket. I used to commute by T and learned this the hard way.

nsh
    I live in Boston too and would not recommend placing the bag on the floor- it does get quite mucky on the floors during the winter...maybe the Smart Alec? It seems sleeker than the Brain Bag but might be easier to keep on your back while on the T. Good luck with the new job and the bag hunt!!

I keep my Brain Bag on when I use Metro from airports to downtowns or hotels. If you cinch it tightly, it is not that big, with the waist strap on it fits tightly close to your torso, much like a Synapse does, just longer.

Try to get yourself close to the door opposite the one that open to the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by F650GS View Post
    Thanks tbessie! I live in Boston and with winter coming I am hesitant to have it on the floor with all the water and salt. I am sure the bag can take it but I don't want to throw the bag on at my destination and have the dirt transfer to my jacket. I used to commute by T and learned this the hard way.
    I guess it's a bit less messy in our San Francisco subways. I lived in Boston years ago, but can't remember what the floors in the T were like - I was mostly on the Red Line.

- Tim

I've been using mine for about 3 years or so, not for daily commuting, but on a few trips around Manhattan crammed on NYC subways and airport buses and trains. I follow tbessies's method of putting it between my legs, if not on the ground, then kind of suspended between my feet. Even with a Braincell inside it can be fairly bulky and elicit those piercing stares of NY subway commuters.

The other nice thing about the SA for a train ride is that, with only two external pockets whose zippers face toward your body, it is not a terribly easy bag to pickpocket.
    Last edited by dichroic; 11-21-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dichroic View Post
    The other nice thing about the SA for a train ride is that, with only two external pickets whose zippers face toward your body, it is not a terribly easy bag to pickpocket.
    Hey! None of MY bags have external pickets!

FIxed - thanks

I would also vote for the SA -- I have the newest version with a size 5 brain cell in it for my netbook -- I seems to ride closer to your back but is wider arm to arm than the Synapse is -- I can carry more with more comfort in the SA than the Synapse -- I have only seen a Brain Bag once and it seemed very large compared to the SA and the Synapse.
    Smart Alec (Black/Steel/Steel), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), Gate Keeper Straps, 2013 Mystery Gift

The Brain Bag is not large for medium sized people, it depends on the length of one's torso.

Cinched up, the Brain Bag looks really slim, it is a workhorse and with the addition of a Brain Cell will make carry your heavy windows machine easy.

I carried 2 iBooks in it which are fairly heavy, decade old, notebooks.

To protect it when you put it down you could try the penguin egg carry, place the bag on top of feet, squeezing the shoulder straps between calves.
    This way both hands are free to hold on, you can still shuffle (penguin style) and good luck for any pickpocket to try dislodging it from your grip.
    When it is time to leave, grab the top handle get out, put the Brain Bag back on and you are on your way.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The Brain Bag is not large for medium sized people, it depends on the length of one's torso.

Cinched up, the Brain Bag looks really slim, it is a workhorse and with the addition of a Brain Cell will make carry your heavy windows machine easy.

I carried 2 iBooks in it which are fairly heavy, decade old, notebooks.

To protect it when you put it down you could try the penguin egg carry, place the bag on top of feet, squeezing the shoulder straps between calves.
    This way both hands are free to hold on, you can still shuffle (penguin style) and good luck for any pickpocket to try dislodging it from your grip.
    When it is time to leave, grab the top handle get out, put the Brain Bag back on and you are on your way.
    Hee! That describes what I do exactly! Many's the time I've felt like a penguin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0