International Customs and Packing Cubes

I am going to be doing quite a bit of international travel for work in the near future.

I use the bundle method for packing to keep my clothing smooth and then put the bundles into packing cubes for my Aeronaut. I have had the TSA search my luggage in the past, which then left me a mess that I had to take aside and re-bundle/pack. PITA.

Has anyone had experience going through customs with packing cubes? How do you pack them? Can you suggest a better method than bundles to allow easier searches? I will get searched eventually..it's just my karma..

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
    I am going to be doing quite a bit of international travel for work in the near future.

I use the bundle method for packing to keep my clothing smooth and then put the bundles into packing cubes for my Aeronaut. I have had the TSA search my luggage in the past, which then left me a mess that I had to take aside and re-bundle/pack. PITA.

Has anyone had experience going through customs with packing cubes? How do you pack them? Can you suggest a better method than bundles to allow easier searches? I will get searched eventually..it's just my karma..

Thanks!
    Hi RedBeard,

Take a look at this thread discussing packing methods for the Aeronaut and the use of packing cubes.

HTH. moriond

You didn't say where you were going, but in most cases, international customs is just a walk through. (Not the same on your return.) But considering you also have airport security to go through, I'll tell you what I do.

I use packing cubes. I either fold or roll clothing so when the cube is opened, if it is opened, they can see everything without having to take anyting out. (With bundling, they need to see the center and the only way to do that is to undo the bundle.) Lately, I've been using the Eagle Creek Specter Folder for dressier shirts and pants. It's semi-see-through but enough where it hasn't been opened by anyone.

For smaller items, I use clear packing cubes like the TB Quarter packing cube and the 3D cube. No need to open them as whoever is looking can easily see inside.

For my tablet, keyboard, stand, charger, battery charger and phone, I use a new case I just got that fits comfortably in one end pocket of the Aeronaut. Everything is in line so whoever is inspecting just has to open one side to see everything easily. (This case is not made by TB so I refrain from mentioning it.)
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0