Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Considering an EGO

I've been researching bags for a while, have looked at several from companies like Chrome, Timbuk2, Crumpler and 'think' I've finally found what I want....the Ego.

My everyday load:
    13" Macbook Air in neoprene sleeve
    iPad
    1-2 notebooks
    small organizer bag w/computer power supply, phone charger, a/v connecters)
    few spare USB thumb drives
    small external HD (about the size of a deck of cards)
    misc pens, pencils, gum, sunglasses
    27 oz Klean Kanteen water bottle

Love the Ego styling and features. But am wondering is there are any other color options besides black? I've seen some bags with red flaps in the video reviews, which I really like. Also am interested in the seat belt buckle option, but it looks like that no longer is an option. Is that coming back any time soon?

Thanks

I feel like the Ego is the poor cousin that has been left behind. All the other bags have a plethora of colors to choose from, but the poor Ego remains in black only. Its size is perfect for my needs and I'd love to buy one, but not in all black, even with the color choices in the stripes. I'd buy a Black/Aubergine/Wasabi Ego with a reflective stripe today if it were available.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwert View Post
    I feel like the Ego is the poor cousin that has been left behind. All the other bags have a plethora of colors to choose from, but the poor Ego remains in black only. Its size is perfect for my needs and I'd love to buy one, but not in all black, even with the color choices in the stripes. I'd buy a Black/Aubergine/Wasabi Ego with a reflective stripe today if it were available.
    I've seen several threads with this exact same theme, re: Ego, and limited colors. There's obviously a good reason why it's limited to black. I wrote to customer support, right after they introduced Aubergine, asking if we'd be seeing it on the Ego, or Super Ego, and was told, no plans for it in the immediate future ;-(
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

jpflo
    I have a ~3 year old ego. Its been a great bag and will easily carry all the items you list. In those days (not sure when it changed) the ego was both steel and black. The contrast plus the addition of colour with the strap makes it a sharp looking bag. The all-black looks (in pictures at least) not as nice. Some other things you might want to consider:

- I would definitely recommend the Q-AM strap regardless of whether you are riding or not. When i walk with the bag any reasonable distance i always use the strap and it does a great job of keeping the load in place. One minor issue I would mention about the Q-AM strap that they may have addressed is I find it to be a tad short in certain circumstances. I live in a cold weather climate (ottawa) and walk or ride to work. When you have heavy clothes on and the bag is packed full the strap has to be fully extended for me to snap it shut. I am 5'10" 185lbs average build 45 yr old mildly out of shape guy.

- the other issue I have had with both my bihn bags (ego/brain bag) is I have had 3-4 of the plastic buckles (male end) break. I attribute this to the climate and I have been picking up replacements at the MEC (Cdn equivalent to REI)

Don't want to give the wrong impression....I love my Bihn bags and plan to buy an aeronaut soon.

thanks. Good tip on the strap length...I may order both the Q-AM and Absolute strap so I can try both as I'm 6'2", about 195 lbs.

After looking at my ego more carefully, the issue isn't with the length of the Q-AM strap, its the length of the male end waist strap that comes with the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jpflo View Post
    thanks. Good tip on the strap length...I may order both the Q-AM and Absolute strap so I can try both as I'm 6'2", about 195 lbs.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0