Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help for the decision: ego or super ego

Hi,

My name is Karl and I live in germany. Unfortunately I'm a little bit addicted to bags, iPhone Cases, backpacks and so on. I already own a Ristretto, but the old one.

The Ristretto is for my daily use too small, and so I don't use it very often.

Now my problem is, I don't know wich model I should buy? Ego or Super Ego?
    I saw all the pictures on flickr, but I did not find a picture with am comparison between ego and super ego. And so maybe somebody here could help.

I want to carry a few things:

- Macbook pro 15"
    - charger for that
    - iPad
    - Charger for iPad (only on when traveling)
    - and a few other stuff like pencils, flashlight, small metering rule, a small knife (schweizer taschenmesser)....
    - bottle of water

but that is not the things for daily use, this is the maximum load for traveling.

Now the question: ego or super ego? Any thoughts on this?

Next:

do I really need a brain cell? I have a booq sleeve for my macbook pro, isn't that enough?

thanks for your time and sorry about my bad english.

Karl

Super Ego for Me!!

Guten Tag, Karl... (your english is excellent ... My German: All I can say is Guten Tag!)

Part of what I do for a living is tech support (Apple Consulting), so I, too, need to carry around my 15" MacBook Pro and everything that goes with it, including my iPad and perhaps a couple of books, papers, a photo of my other Tom Bihn bags, a water bottle, and more, and more, and more ... all in my new Super Ego. I was using a Zephyr for the longest time, but it is more compact doesn't accommodate much more beyond the laptop and ipad and chargers, that is about it. Still looks like new, though!

You DO NOT need to use a Brain Cell to carry and protect your MacBook Pro. For a while I used my nicely padded sleeve from Waterfield Design. No problem at all. However, I took a chance and ordered a Brain Cell. I wanted to see how it all worked with the special Annex Clips in the bag. If I didn't like it, I would return it as I was willing to take the shipping costs hit. But, as with all other TB products.... because of my Bihn Acquisition Syndrome (BAS), I find it impossible to return ANYTHING!!

Seriously, though, the Brain Cell is quite nice. My feeling is that with the shock-absorption that it has, plus having it clipped into the bag (it's easy to unclip and remove), my MBP is very secure. I also have the iPad in a TB Cache.

So, that is my experience with the Super Ego. I can't tell you about the smaller sibling - the Ego. For me, I knew I wanted to go with the largest for those times I need to take more items than the standard MBP/iPAD kit.

Best regards,
    Sandro

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Welcome, Karl.

cucciasv gave you some great advice. You don't need the Brain Cell, if you've already got a sleeve that you're happy with. The Brain Cell does offer some (great) added functionality -- securely clips in to the Ego, offers the suspension sling/hard sided/memory foam protection layers, etc.

You might find this review helpful: The Gadgeteer - Review of Tom Bihn Super Ego and Ego Messenger Bags

What you've listed is very similar to what I carry, and I'd definitely choose the Ego over the Super Ego, as the Ego could comfortably hold everything you've listed. The Super Ego could carry twice your list and still maybe have some room leftover.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

And I thought I had it bad!?!

Quote Originally Posted by cucciasv View Post
    Guten Tag, Karl... (your english is excellent ... My German: All I can say is Guten Tag!)

, a photo of my other Tom Bihn bags,

Best regards,
    Sandro

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Super Ego could carry twice your list and still maybe have some room leftover.
    This is very true .

My SuperEgo easily carries a 17" HP Elitebook along with cords and peripherals, as well as all my other EDC junk, and has tons of room to spare for a lunch, another laptop or iPad (or both), change of clothes, toiletries, etc.

For what you want to carry, the Ego is probably your best bet, but you really can't go wrong with either.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Thanks for your help and answers.

hmpf, the decision is not that easy, maybe I'm going to order both :-).

So the normal Ego should be ok for me. But (there's always a "but") there are other things, the Super Ego is available in different colors, the ego not. And that little thing is annoying to me. I'm sure some of you will understand this "problem".

And sometime I think that a ID would also do a good job for me.

In germany on twitter we sometime use the hashtag #firstworldproblems if we are thinking about such issues.

again thanks, and take care

Karl

To get an idea of the size of the Super E I can get a 17" MBP in a Brain Cell AND a Toughbook CF30 which is actually armored AND also an iPad in an Otterbox case AND a Netbook too!

Some how I even try to carry it all sometimes?

I love the SE but you could certainly get by with the Ego and Black is always the right color!

Ed

How about for this list?

MBP 15.4 in brain cell
    ipad 2 in cache
    Bose noise cancelling headphones in it's case
    Large Moleskin
    Lumix Camera (small point and shoot)
    various cables, chargers, pwr supply
    MAYBE a Freudian Slip (depending on the amount of pockets--I've never seen an Ego, or S Ego)
    enough room for a couple of doodads from time to time--small umbrella, book, a couple of CD's

waddya think?
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    How about for this list?

MBP 15.4 in brain cell
    ipad 2 in cache
    Bose noise cancelling headphones in it's case
    Large Moleskin
    Lumix Camera (small point and shoot)
    various cables, chargers, pwr supply
    MAYBE a Freudian Slip (depending on the amount of pockets--I've never seen an Ego, or S Ego)
    enough room for a couple of doodads from time to time--small umbrella, book, a couple of CD's

waddya think?
    I think that would be a full load for the Ego, but I do think it could fit everything you've listed.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

So, after all I ordered a few minutes ago a Ego.

I hope it will arrive next week.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by karlimann View Post
    So, after all I ordered a few minutes ago a Ego.

I hope it will arrive next week.

Karl
    Congratulations Karl.
    While you are waiting for your new Ego to arrive you might enjoy/ find solace in this thread :
    TB Anticipation Syndrome

BAS is definitely a #firstworldproblem, but you are susceptible to this particularly when waiting for a package to arrive!

I think you made the right decision. I carry most of the stuff you listed back and forth to work each day. I have both an Ego and Super Ego and only use the Ego for that purpose. The Super Ego is much larger - I use it more for extended travel, but not as an everyday bag. I do have the Brain Cell and love it (I also have a 15" MBP).
    Navy Brain Bag, Navy/Iberian Aeronaut, Black/Steel Tristar, Black/Black/Steel Ego, Several Organizer Pouches

I just ordered the Super Ego today. I'm curious--on a domestic flight, where I'm allowed a carryon, and a personal item, will I be able to board with an Aeronaut, and a Super Ego??
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

I've carried on my Brain Bag with my Aeronaut (US flights), so I doubt that the Super Ego would be a problem. Although I've not done it, the Brain Bag is (and in my opinion) looks big than the Super Ego. It might also depend on how full you pack the bags.
    Navy Brain Bag, Navy/Iberian Aeronaut, Black/Steel Tristar, Black/Black/Steel Ego, Several Organizer Pouches

as per ups tracking the ego arrived today at home.

But unfortunately I'm not at home the whole week, because of SAP stuff.

Oh my god, how should I survice these hard times....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0