Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank II

Thread: Business travel set-up, recommendations

Business travel set-up, recommendations

The more and more I have been reading about the one bag travel philosophy, the more and more I want to try it. And I travel on a daily basis to go to work. My shortest commutes are half hour car rides and then one hour commuter train rides. Longest, domestic trips lasting from 2-4 days.

My current set up (which will go away soon because it is getting old) includes:

- a large back pack with 3 large main compartments, and 5-6 smaller including water bottle holders (essential for both of my commutes).

On the short commutes, I have my work laptop in one compartment, a large notebook in the other, a book, pens and pencils and miscellaneous stuff in the third, including chargers for my personal and work phones and a car USB adaptor

On the flights, I add to the aforementioned, my large personal computer in the back compartment (laptops) with a power cord and a mouse and a one into 3 power outlet cube (those hotels are an issue). A car GPS is added to the notebook in the middle compartment as is a small rigid zipped bag that I use to collect expense receipts. A pouch with emergency meds and a pouch with some running toys (GPS watch, Road ID etc) is added to the front compartment. Usually an empty aluminum water bottle is added to it on the holder and gets filled in after security.

This bag is two years old and it already has structural problems (like seams falling apart) so I have no problems saying good bye

Bag number 2
    only for the flights:

A 21 inch "universal" expandable wheeled carry on about 12 years old that has done more than 100 flights and has been checked a few times and it is showing it. Traditional setup. Not a suiter. I carry in it: Running gear (a pair of running shoes and running socks, a tech shirt and shorts and a hat), an extra pair of work pants (business casual) and 2-3 long sleeve shirts. If I need a jacket it is on me. Socks and underwear (I usually stuff them in the running shoes), some solid toiletry items (toothbrush, hairbrush, razor, bottle opener), a T-shirt and a polo shirt. Maybe an extra book, if I am close to finish the one I am reading. I do carry liquids in a ziplock on the outside pocket, but that is about it. Most of the time this is packed like 50% max. In the winter I am throwing in a fleece. It is fraying really badly at some edges and I would like to replace it pretty soon. Also, I really do not mind ironing a dress shirt or 2 and I usually do. And what I pack in it is light enough for me to carry it by the handle most of the time (on stairs, escalators, in the plane) vs having it on the wheels. My backpack with the 2 laptops is heavier. And I do use that pretty much in my train commute set up when I fly, for my daily trips to the local office.

So, decision time for me. I would love to simplify my life and have a single piece that will fit all my stuff in my flying commute and an alternative that has to fit into that to fit my train commute stuff. Am I wishing for the sky?

I have been thinking about an aeronaut with a packing cube backpack, but I don't think that either will cut it... Now if there were a braincell size backpack that would fit my work laptop, my work notebook, a reading book, cords and stuff, and it could sit nicely into a aeronaut size carry one, while allowing space for my other notebook and the clothes, that would work. And yes the big one and preferably both have to be made out of 1050D. "cordura" will not cut it.

Am I asking for the sky, or am I stuck in the 2 piece world? If I am stuck there, I know what to do.

Thanks for reading this long thing and for any input.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by fflyer View Post
    The more and more I have been reading about the one bag travel philosophy, the more and more I want to try it. And I travel on a daily basis to go to work. My shortest commutes are half hour car rides and then one hour commuter train rides. Longest, domestic trips lasting from 2-4 days.

My current set up (which will go away soon because it is getting old) includes:

- a large back pack with 3 large main compartments, and 5-6 smaller including water bottle holders (essential for both of my commutes).

On the short commutes, I have my work laptop in one compartment, a large notebook in the other, a book, pens and pencils and miscellaneous stuff in the third, including chargers for my personal and work phones and a car USB adaptor

On the flights, I add to the aforementioned, my large personal computer in the back compartment (laptops) with a power cord and a mouse and a one into 3 power outlet cube (those hotels are an issue). A car GPS is added to the notebook in the middle compartment as is a small rigid zipped bag that I use to collect expense receipts. A pouch with emergency meds and a pouch with some running toys (GPS watch, Road ID etc) is added to the front compartment. Usually an empty aluminum water bottle is added to it on the holder and gets filled in after security.

This bag is two years old and it already has structural problems (like seams falling apart) so I have no problems saying good bye

Bag number 2
    only for the flights:

A 21 inch "universal" expandable wheeled carry on about 12 years old that has done more than 100 flights and has been checked a few times and it is showing it. Traditional setup. Not a suiter. I carry in it: Running gear (a pair of running shoes and running socks, a tech shirt and shorts and a hat), an extra pair of work pants (business casual) and 2-3 long sleeve shirts. If I need a jacket it is on me. Socks and underwear (I usually stuff them in the running shoes), some solid toiletry items (toothbrush, hairbrush, razor, bottle opener), a T-shirt and a polo shirt. Maybe an extra book, if I am close to finish the one I am reading. I do carry liquids in a ziplock on the outside pocket, but that is about it. Most of the time this is packed like 50% max. In the winter I am throwing in a fleece. It is fraying really badly at some edges and I would like to replace it pretty soon. Also, I really do not mind ironing a dress shirt or 2 and I usually do. And what I pack in it is light enough for me to carry it by the handle most of the time (on stairs, escalators, in the plane) vs having it on the wheels. My backpack with the 2 laptops is heavier. And I do use that pretty much in my train commute set up when I fly, for my daily trips to the local office.

So, decision time for me. I would love to simplify my life and have a single piece that will fit all my stuff in my flying commute and an alternative that has to fit into that to fit my train commute stuff. Am I wishing for the sky?

I have been thinking about an aeronaut with a packing cube backpack, but I don't think that either will cut it... Now if there were a braincell size backpack that would fit my work laptop, my work notebook, a reading book, cords and stuff, and it could sit nicely into a aeronaut size carry one, while allowing space for my other notebook and the clothes, that would work. And yes the big one and preferably both have to be made out of 1050D. "cordura" will not cut it.

Am I asking for the sky, or am I stuck in the 2 piece world? If I am stuck there, I know what to do.

Thanks for reading this long thing and for any input.
    Welcome to the forums! You will find lots of assistance here.

Does the daily commute bag need to be a backpack or would you consider a messenger or briefcase? What size are the two laptops?

Welcome, in addition to JLE's questions, is one of your phones a smart phone?

I ask because I use my iPhone 4 (yes I know, now oldskool, but fine for my needs) both as a gps when driving and a cycling computer with apps for both. The cycling computer has functions for walking and driving too, plus integrated gps. Having those apps have saved me money and the bulk of carrying around other gadgets. Would something like this work for you too?
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Hello! And, Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by fflyer View Post
    And yes the big one and preferably both have to be made out of 1050D. "cordura" will not cut it..
    Hi, fflyer and welcome to the Forum,

Just my $0.02...

The Brian Bag is configured to accommodate two laptops in their respective Vertical Brain Cells (super-secure sleeves) that optionally attach to security clips pre-installed in the bag. Even with these, there is room for more in the Brain Bag. There are several posts, photos and video reviews that might help you here in the fora. Do a search on Brain Bag.

The only thing is that the Brain Bag is currently made with a 1000 denier Cordura® exterior. But perhaps, the durable seams, bar-tack stitching, the water-resistant features, and the overall design will compensate.

Regards,
    Sandro

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Let's talk about weight because there may be ways to cut back to make your life easier.

You're taking two laptops on trips, a large notebook, a GPS unit, a book to read, separate chargers for everything---my back hurts already.

How about these ideas:

Replace your personal laptop, the large notebook, the GPS, and your book with a tablet. While I've gone "very small" with the Nexus 7, I find it does just about everything I need, for now, while traveling that my old laptop did. If the keyboard is too small, you can get yourself a folding or portable bluetooth one although I've gotten used to the one onscreen. There are apps you can get that allow you to write on the screen and free ereaders allowing you to download books. (I, admit, though, I still take my Kindle because I prefer reading without a backlight.) The GPS on the tablet also works very well.

Next, chargers. Do you really need a separate charger for everything? Why not utilize your work laptop's USB slots and just take the cords. I prefer retractable ones. Currently, I use the ones from Gomadic because they have an interchangeable tip system. I can easily change from micro USB to Apple to just about any type I need. Or you may want to get a USB wall charger with multiple slots. (That's what I use.) That might save you from having to take a multi plug.

The above will save you 2-3 pounds. While that might not sound like much, in the "one bag' world, that's a ton of weight.

Now, as for Cordura, before you say it "won't cut it," realize this: Cordura is a brand name covering multiple types of fabric. The numbers you see--1050d, 1000d, etc--have to do with weight, not strength. (The "d" stands for denier.) A heavier weight does not necessarily mean stronger.
    Last edited by Frank II; 10-01-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    rlandis likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0