Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By katiya
  • 1 Post By kmcg

Thread: Why do Ristretto and Cafe Bag have a single buckle, and on the side?

Why do Ristretto and Cafe Bag have a single buckle, and on the side?

Just a design question - I was wondering why the Ristretto and Cafe Bag have a single buckle only, and over to the side, as opposed to buckling in the middle, or having double buckles. What practical design consideration drove that (i.e. not 'style')?

The reason I ask is, I was thinking about how (looking at the photos), the fold-over top might leave the corners of the bag open to rain getting inside (there isn't really any overlap on the edges that I can see).

- Tim

I don't work for Tom Bihn tbessie but I've had my large cafe bag for 3 years and w/ my very hard use of the bag there has never been any issue with rain getting inside. I used to live in the Emerald City and used my bag a lot of times without an umbrella on those hard rain days and I've soaked the bag to death and everything inside stayed dry! I had the same question myself before I bought the bag but I actually perfer the buckle to the side. I bought the bag from Tom himself and I know I asked that question but I totally forget the answer, Darcy or some other kind soul can probably give you the answer!

P.S. I was concerned about the flap curling at some point but after 3 years the bag is like new, hope that helps some~

I asked a similar this in another thread, but I only got one response. Maybe someone else has insight... Does having the buckle on the side enable you to reach in without unbuckling? I guess that might be a pickpocketing concern.... but I would look at it as a beneft.... easy access to an oft-used item. On one of my old Eagle Creek bags, for example, I seem to recall I could reach under the flap and get my cell out of the organizer panel without unbuckling the flap.

Thanks for your input, folks! I hope to hear from someone at Tom Bihn eventually on this burning issue. :-)

- Tim

I find it pretty difficult to get into the bag with the buckle closed - but it's not impossible.

To me, the off-center buckle is what first made me yearn for a cafe bag. I think it really sets it apart from the crowd; nobody would see it and think "Oh, another uber-practicle REI member with an Eagle Creek bag." It's got style!
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcg View Post
    I find it pretty difficult to get into the bag with the buckle closed - but it's not impossible.

To me, the off-center buckle is what first made me yearn for a cafe bag. I think it really sets it apart from the crowd; nobody would see it and think "Oh, another uber-practicle REI member with an Eagle Creek bag." It's got style!
    Well jah, but what I want to know is, what is its FUNCTIONAL use - forget style (tho' that's nice), I'm mostly about function. :-)

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 09-28-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Tim-
    I have a MCB. The flap is substantial enough to keep out rain and prying hands. For me the offset single buckle makes it easy to open and get into while wearing the bag. Hope that helps.

I don't have a problem reaching in to my bag to get out a pen or chapstick with the flap closed (I'm lazy), but it does require some rummaging and knowing where and how to reach. Because I keep my water bottle in a stuff sack clipped to the left side of my LCB (the side w/o the buckle), I can get the water bottle in and out without unclipping too. But that's knowing the layout of my bag. I 'm not a pickpocket (though I've played one in D&D), but I would think a quick grab wouldn't do much for a pickpocket, as most of what I carry in my bag is either inside a clipped pouch, pens tucked in the pen slots, or large enough to require unclipping the buckle (the water bottle requires two hands to remove because of the stuff sack holder, regardless of whether the bag is clipped or not. I also wear the bag on my right hip, so someone would have to reach in from the most optimal angle while standing in front of me.

Whoops, forgot about this thread. Thanks, earth5 -- that is exactly the information I was looking for. Yup -- I'm talking about an item like a pen, chapstick, or phone that you need to get frequently, and is always in the same place in the bag. Good to know that it can be done!

Additional Ristretto Question...

I'm going to copy from my other thread in Bag Reviews, since nobody answered it over there (and it's more a question than just a review). Perhaps someone can tell me their opinion here. I'll modify the below with saying I see that the Ristretto DOES have a tightening mechanism, but there is only a VERY SMALL amount of play. It could do with 2 or 3 times as much tightening for when you're not carrying much in it besides your laptop.

I haven't used it yet, really, so I can't say much. Only one thing I'm slightly disappointed in, and that is that the buckle is basically one-position - there is no tightening of it.

I won't be carrying the bag chock-full and bulging with stuff, so the buckle's 1-position design means that the fold-over flap will basically be rather baggy and loose all the time. What would be nice is if the buckle on the flap was higher up, and the bottom buckle moved further and had a length of webbing that could pull through like a regular tightening buckle, so that I could have the flap close TIGHT or LOOSE, whichever I'd like.

I don't quite understand why the Ristretto lacks a tightening mechanism on the flap.

Anyone else notice this or care about it?

- Tim

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0