Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dorayme

Thread: What bag do I need?

What bag do I need?

I'm a little bit overwhelmed by options, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My morning commute to the office is on foot, so I need to schlepp my stuff with me, but want to arrive at work looking halfway professional, not like I'm going camping. I need a bag that will hold:
    * A medium-size purse
    * Lunch
    * Shoes
    * An iPad
    * A change of clothes for my after-work yoga class
    And, optionally, if there was a way to attach a yoga mat, so much the better, though in wet or snowy weather, I'd be carrying it in its own bag anyway to keep it dry.

What are my best choices?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsGal View Post
    ...but want to arrive at work looking halfway professional, not like I'm going camping.
    Does that mean you want to avoid backpacks and stick with a shoulder bag?

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Does that mean you want to avoid backpacks and stick with a shoulder bag?
    I don't mind a backpack as long as it's not one that would look out of place in a professional setting. I've been using a leather backpack for years, but it's not big enough for the extra clothes I need to carry now. I just don't want to look like I'm heading to a campground!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I reccomend the Smart Alec backpack, the lines are clean and from the outside unfussy. Inside there is organization and plenty of room for your list. There is a video from peregrina demonstrating how she used hers to keep her Little Swift and regular contents dry in a downpour. The bag appears to be bottomless as she pulls items from its depths.
    I would also recommend a packing cube and Stuff Sack to contain and organize your clothes and shoes.
    The Synapse may also work depending on how bulky your clothes are, the size of your shoes and the relative size of your medium purse. To me the a little Swift is a medium purse. I'm 5'2" medium build and I wear size 38 shoe. I could fit it all inside a synapse with barefoot/minimalist types shoes, a compact lunch and thin workout clothes, but if any of those factors changed, due to the size of the LS, I would want a larger bag.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I agree with @dorayme - the Smart Alec is a great choice. It will easily swallow everything you mentioned, plus with the bungee on the front of the pack, carrying a yoga mat is easy (I know, I've tried it!). Also a plus is that since the Smart Alec is primarily a black bag, it still looks professional.

I am coming to love my Smart Alec which is sleek, so capacious and of course brilliantly designed. It will hold everything you listed easily and it is a joy to wear and use.

I think the recommendations for the Smart Alec are right. I have a Synapse which I just used for a trip to Atlantic City for a fitness expo. I took a change of shoes, some healthy snacks, a rain jacket (storms predicted), my water bottle, camera, sun glasses, and a few small essentials and I was stuffed full. As soon as the Smart Alec in black/steel/some unnamed color becomes available I plan to order it along with a brain cell for my new netbook.
    S25 (French Blue), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), 2013 Mystery Gift (Parapack Grey)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0